Bonaire Shore Diving fin options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uniqueimaging

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My Dad and I are going to Bonaire in August (few more weeks! :D), staying at Capt. Don's.

We will be doing boat diving every morning and shore diving every afternoon. I know that the coral and "beaches" are way too rough to walk through in bare feet and wear my full foot fins.

My question is: Do I really need booties and open fins, or could I get away with some thick water shoes, and put them on a carabiner clipped to my BC, and dive with my full foot fins (much more comfortable.)

Besides being more comfortable, I really would like to not have to pack 2 sets of fins. The airline weight limits are INSANE! (1 40lb bag....)

Plus I need new open heel fins, So I don't really want to buy some if I don't have to.

I also want to note that I really would like to bring my full-foot fins for boat dives because of comfort, and ease of use on boat dives.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
-Mike

You'll probably be okay with thick water shoes that you clip to your belt. You might have to be a bit more careful about how you enter the water, but it's likely doable.

In general, I think thick soled boots are the "best" choice for Bonaire both for protection from the ironshore, but also for traction and foot stability for entries/exits. However we did see a wide variety of types and styles of boots, so there's no question a medium sole works just fine.

Oh yeah, have a GREAT time on Bonaire this summer!! We spent two weeks there this summer (been home 2 weeks) and would go back tomorrow if we could. :)

We are going to Bonaire this weekend for the week - - our first time - - What dives did you like best? One dive op advised us the other day that Town Pier was closed for diving - - did you find this to be true or is just that the dive op doesn't have a permit to dive there?

The only time I would consider full foot fins for myself would be diving from the resort stair/ladder or from a boat.

Yes, you *may* get away with the full foot fins and water shoes on a shore dive, but I would pick my entries and exits very carefully.
I would not want the sometimes-rough-surf forcing me to put my bare feet down on the ironshore (or an urchin) even for a moment.

We'll be back on Bonaire for the 5th time August 29 to September 5.

Have a great time!

I understand where you're coming from, but aren't these the same.

Water shoes: Pulling one up taking one off to put on a full foot fin.

Booties: Pulling one up to put on a open heel fin, and then tightening the straps and such.

I'm not trying to undermine your point of view, just trying to understand the conditions as best as I can.

Just got back on Saturday from 2 wonderful weeks. Town Pier is still closed to diving, we were able to dive Salt Pier with our dive op at night with a guide. It was really cool, we saw 2 octos an eagle ray and more.

As for the booties, actually wore thick soled booties this time and they helped so much. I didn't have sore feet and the traction was much better, made the dicey entrance at the Hilma Hooker seem easy. I would not wear full footed fins, like another poster said, the surf often pushes you in and you may hit something very unpleasant with your foot. Just my .02. Have a great time.

I understand where you're coming from, but aren't these the same.

Water shoes: Pulling one up taking one off to put on a full foot fin.

Booties: Pulling one up to put on a open heel fin, and then tightening the straps and such.

I'm not trying to undermine your point of view, just trying to understand the conditions as best as I can.
The first thing you do when you get open heel fins is to get spring straps (about $10 each). That way you just step in them and pull the strap on. No tightening, no unbuckling.
When you take them off, you are wearing boots that will keep you safer no matter where you are (on a shore, on a boat, going up a ladder, walking around on wet floors in changing rooms / bathrooms)

I understand that full foot fins can give you a slight performance edge, but for convenience and safety, I think that nothing beats spring straps with boots.

Here is one option.
Blue Reef Quick Release Fin Spring Strap - Recreational Diver, Black

Absolutely hate spring straps. Tried them once, and did not like them at all.

The biggest issue is the cost associated with it. My dad is stealing back his mares quattros for the trip, forcing me to fend for myself.

Well, the shore diving is what it is, regardless of what you decide for your feet. What it is, in most/many spots, is a combination of ironshore (solid, sharp coral) or broken up chunks of solid, sharp coral. The idea of solid sole booties is not just to avoid the sharpness but also to help deal with the instability of loose (and did I mention sharp?) footing, often in surf, carrying a full tank etc. with solid outcroppings of coral reef below water where you may not see it in the surf. It's also necessary to take your fins off before exiting, so you can stand and walk through the surf. The bottom may or may not be sandy, often isn't. The surf (usually) isn't any big deal but it can add to the entrance/exit equation.

Cost is always a factor (for most of us) but safety and comfort can't be put second. You may have time still to ck SB Classifieds or ScubaToys etc. for a hot deal (I see ST still has some Oceanic open heel Vectors on closeout for $25 bucks). On the booties side, Leisurepro has the TUSA Imprex bootie w/ an injection-molded sole on sale for $23 bucks (these are GREAT on Bonaire, and not so thick soled they won't fit most fins). Possibly your local LDS also has some hot deals or a "for sale" bulletin board etc to ck out. Spring straps aren't mandatory if you don't like them but open heel fins and hard sole booties on Bonaire? Priceless... :eyebrow: // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom