Bonaire Shore Diving fin options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question is: Do I really need booties and open fins, or could I get away with some thick water shoes.

Do yourself a favor. There is a valid reason folks who dive Bonaire's reefs as a general rule use open heeled fins together with the best hard soled boot on their feet. That being, it's required to adequately protect you. Learn from what experienced divers on Bonaire do.

The last thing you want to happen is to have an urchin spine in your foot. Never happened to me, but I'm sure it's far from a pleasant experience.

If you were doing all boats dives, or had shore diving confined to your resort which has a dock, the full foot fin is fine. But, once you start doing shore diving, open heel fins with a good hard soled boot is simply the only way to go. Have fun and be safe!

uniqueimaging

Get into some firm booties and open heel dive fins and do it right. The iron shore entries are irregular and you will want compromised footing and protection. The coral rubble is very irregular and you will also have urchins on the bottom in locations. You won't be able to count on being in a safe spot to transition from fins to water shoes especially where some amount of surf is likely. In short you will be severely limiting the range in which you can pull this off safely.

Consider it to be cheap insurance. A pair of booties and fins will cost less than 10% per person of your vacation investment and will make the experience much more care free. It may very well save you a trip to the ER which will cost more $$ and even worse cost you some dive time. The icing on the cake for this form of insurance is that you get to keep the gear!

Also don't count on renting as needed. Ironically most (all?) rental options are limited to full foot fins.

Pete

Guys, I already ordered some. That info is a few posts up.

They were talking about renting full foot fins to use on the boat, but I will probably just bring both sets and use 1 for boat diving, and 1 for shore diving. That will also give my booties a chance to dry out in the morning.

My .02 .....if you have the extra loot...invest in some neoprene socks. Will save all that sand in your boots/shoes. Every dive, my buddy had to stop before we would descend to empty his boots of sand.

Yep I use the neoprene booties as well. Some of the guys I dive with made fun of me when I first started using them.... I get the last laugh....they are all using them now. Heck it can even make putting your wet-suit on a little easier.

....... I tried spring straps, and hated them. I didn't like the constant tension on my heels.

If the tension bothered you, then the straps were probably too tight. If the fit and tension are correct, they shouldn't be noticeable. At least, that is my experience.

I'm wondering if I arrive with gear that I discover is not what I need, will I be able to get what I need on the Island at a resonable price? My wetsuit may not be thick enough and I plan on using my cold water fins with an old pair of runners but can't find neoprene socks around here. Is there a shop on Bonaire that sells them?

I have found the socks at sporting goods stores here in the states. Just go to the water sports area. Not sure I have seen them on BON. It has been my experience that MOST prices on BON are OK to good deals, depends on where you go. Bruce's shop can have some really rockin deals on equipment. If you need equipment repair while on the island, I recommend Bruce. MHO

I have not seen neoprene socks on Bonaire. But the Carib Inn has good prices on booties and fins.

FWIW, I use high top cold water booties (High Tide Pros) that I bought locally. I sue them in Bonaire and never have a problem (good support, good traction, no sand in the booties, etc.)

I used the Dive Rite fins with spring straps and High Tide Ranger 7 mm boots with the hard sole when I was shore diving in Bonaire, I didn't have any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom