Bonaire Lionfish Capture Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilulfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was diving with another couple at the Jeff Davis dive site in Bonaire last week when we spotted a lionfish. Upon reporting the sighting the Marine Park asked us to take them to it so they could capture it. Here is the video of the capture. We only had picture cameras without strobes so the quality is what it is, but since this was only the 7th lionfish captured in Bonaire, I figured I would spread the word for other divers to be on the lookout for it.

Thanks for the video. The music sounds like an erotic magic show in Vegas, lol.

You are very welcome. I'll have to think up another title now... :thinking:

A Marco Accattatis production of a Marco Accattatis film
Based on a story by Marco Accattatis
Directed by Marco Accattatis
Produced by Marco Accattatis
Staring Marco Accattatis
And featuring Red Lionfish (Pterois volitans marco accattatis)
Executive Producer Marco Accattatis
Co-executive producer Marco Accattatis
Co-executive producer Marco Accattatis
Camera Man Marco Accattatis
Keep Grip Marco Accattatis
Best Boy Marco Accattatis
Catering by Marco Accattatis
Color by Marco Accattatisvision
Soundtrack by Marco Accattatis copyright 2009 Marco Accattatis records
Special thanks to Marco Accattatis

Filmed on location at Marco Accattatis Beach, Bonaire, Marco Accattatis Antilles

Marco Accattatis was not harmed in the making of this film

Last edited:
The name sounds vaguely familiar...

:wink:

I am glad you posted this. It shows how meticulously and cautiously the marine park rangers capture the lionfish. There have been other posts about how vigillante divers should start catching/killing lionfish on their own. I doubt they would be as conscientious of the reef as this diver was. There would be all sorts of justifying careless behavior by saying that catching a lionfish outweighs any damage done to the reef. Obviously the Marine Park isn't taking a 'by any means necessary' approach. Good video and post.

Very cool...........
Scubadobadoo don't worry about the laidback Bonarian Lionfish, they are probably not as tough as the ones you deal with in your NYC waters.

Hey guys! I thought of this video frequently during our week. Just back yesterday. The entire island is talking about Lion Fish! While I didn't get to see one during a dive, let alone witness one being caught like Agililfo's fun video above, I did run into a guy from STINAPA at Karpata who had JUST captured a Lion Fish. I literally passed him and the Lion fish in a net as we passed at the washed out pier entry. He said that it was number 26!!!! Wowser!

The trip was great although it did take us a few days to hit our stride between the red eye flight and a 14 month old baby along this trip.

Lunch and dessert at Bistro De Pari is ALWAYS a treat and I always forget how good the pizza and especially the lasagna is at Pasa Bon Pizza and this is coming from a NYC pizza snob. We didn't get to eat out too much since we had a baby along but we did have one adult only night out at Richards. It was our first time there and it didn't disappoint. Charming service from the owner himself and a delightful table by the water along with good eats made for a lovely night. I also liked Plazita Limena although our daughter ended that dinner early, lol. BobbeJan's is great for kids and every time in their we see families with children. It's relaxed, cheap, and most importantly it's fast! They serve your food in minutes and that's not normal in Bonaire. :wink: We even ate at wattaburger for the first time cuz it was quick and convenient and the place was empty.

We got in 13 dives and that's not bad at all with a baby. Thanks to Liza at GRI for providing one of the best baby sitters ever! I am thinking of writing a trip report slanted towards people who travel to Bonaire with kids.....it was an experience but not too bad I guess, lol. The red eye flight with kids is a KILLER for all! Our daughter was so over tired and excited so she stayed up for most of the flight. She was pretty good looking back but it's still a tough one.

The diving is as easy and relaxing and as good as ever. I think red Slave is one of my new faves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom