Bonaire Dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good deal. Which him the best from all of us.
Allyson booked the horseback riding for five.
Did you get her e-mail?

Good deal. Which him the best from all of us.
Allyson booked the horseback riding for five.
Did you get her e-mail?

Not that I know of. I better check my Junk folder. I have a pretty harsh setting on my filter.

Nope, not yet.

Just wanted to chime in.

My husband and I were also at Buddy's last week. We did 10 shore dives at 10 different sites without seeing any evidence of theft or vandalism. My husband even left his brand new Tilly hat in the truck when we were diving Andrea II and it was still there when we got back. I left several masks in the trucks too at various sites- since I still haven't found one that fits!

Visibility seemed fine and we noticed healthier reefs than last year (generally more fish and less algae). It was much windier this time and that may have affected visibility slightly. I don't agree that a significant portion of the reef was dead, at least no more than is common in the Caribbean and certainly less so than a lot of places. Also, all that dead coral you see nearer to the shore is the stuff that has been washed up my storms over the years- that's not actually part of the existing reef system. I was actually very impressed by the large, healthy purple tube sponges!

Aside from diving, we had a great time driving around Washington Slaagbai NP. We met a very confrontational iguana and caught a glimpse of Bonaire's only bird of prey, the Caracara. The geology in the park is pretty cool as well. Driving around one day, we stumbled upon Lake Gotomeer up by BOPEC- this inland lake is amazing! We also saw a wild pig while tooling around the area. A visit to Bonaire's butterfly garden was well worth it. The owner, George, personally introduced us to the butterflies and even released some that had just been born.

Of course we enjoyed some wonderful food around the island- I had incredible mahi and sate at City Cafe, scrumptious pizza at Captain Don's (Rum Runners) next door to Buddy's, and Gio's gelato- my favorite! Oh and absolutely delicious wahoo at Wil's. My husband had his favorite stacked steak at Paradise Moon. None of it was any more expensive than we pay to eat out in downtown Annapolis (and most of it tasted better!).

This was our second time in Bonaire and we loved it just as much as the first. Bonaire is a wonderful place- the people are nice, the food is good, the diving is great, and it's just a fun place to be. I'd recommend a second visit and greater learning and exploration of the island, it's history, nature, and culture.

spyfish,

Did you dive Caral's Vision when you were up by Bopec? Probably my favorite dive last trip. Interesting swim out too.

boat

Boat,

We mostly stuck to the southern sites for easy entries. I wanted to play it safe due to injury. But hopefully I'll be fully recovered by next year!

I haven't heard of Caral's Vision. Is it fairly easy to find?

nukove.jpg

This is what Nukove looked like in Aug2011. The sandy beach is gone. You can still see the sandy spot at the far end, and that is where we got in - gotta pump up the bc and sorta glide over the rocks, but easy.

It is worth the long drive.

(or maybe we were in a different spot and just thought it was nukove)

Geez..just the mention of Pilot Fish makes me want to hurl!
Have a great July trip folks! I am long overdue..but its a haul and $$ from the west coast dang it!!

gbf,

That pic looks like the area - it is a long stretch there. Sounds the same too. We had to glide over some shallow corals and valleys. That's the only spot where the hurricane didn't seem to tear everything up less than 20 ft deep or so. Probably a great snorkeling spot when it's calm enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom