Bonaire Dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crime is everywhere.At home, I had my dog training equipment and a bunch of fence posts stolen from my front porch while we were sitting inside drinking coffee. My parents live in a nice, Scottsdale community with neighborhood watch and they've been broken into.
My dive computer was taken off of my stuff during a surface interval on a boat in the Galapegos on the second to last day. Threats of no-tip caused it to miraculously reappear. The Captain did a full boat search and never told us where he found it. (of course, I was originally blamed for having misplaced it in my room)
Ive spent a total of nearly four weeks in Bonaire with no crime problems noted. Haven't been extra vigilant, just don't lock the truck or leave real expensive stuff lying around.

I just got back from Bonaire last Saturday and we didn't see any rampant thefts occurring. The reef looked decent, the visibility was't as good as my last visit, but nothing to really complain about.

We are already looking forward to returning.

Like many have stated....leave nothing valuable in the vehicle while you dive and the doors unlocked, windows down and you won't have a problem. Since I've been going to Bonaire the only things that have came up missing is a yellow chum croakie and a granola bar. I figured if that's all, then no problem.

I've walked the streets at night, etc. It's not a unsafe place by any means. And the people are some of the best that I've ever had the privilege to meet. Easy going and will help in any way. Not saying that there's not some not so nice, I just haven't met them. Driving through Rincon, you even meet some nice folks.

Hate that the OP had a bad experience which left a bad taste in his mouth, but there's a reason people return to Bonaire year after year. And I'm one of them.

Well I did not mean to say that Bonaire is as bad as a warzone like Iraq or South Africa. Overall, I had a great time diving. My favorite dives were Hilma Hooker and Thousand Steps. I actually dove Thousand Steps twice in one day! The walk up and down Thousand Steps was not as bad as I thought but a nice little workout. Just leave nothing in the trucks and windows down unlocked you won't have any issues with theft. The tube sponges were cool and very colorful and friendly tarpons on the night dives made for an interesting experience. I am heading to Caymans later this year and will see how it differs from Bonaire diving. As for relaxing in town, I did like the internet cafe with excellent coffee and ice cream and the gelato shop downtown was fantastic. I found some lower cost dining options like the Bon Pasa pizza joint and BBQ restaurant were good eating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom