Bonaire - Buddy's Dive Resort Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not find Buddy to be too big..I found flamingo to be larger and the grounds at sand dollar to be in very poor shape.How close to the ocean you want the room to be? many of Buddys rooms are less than a 1 minute walk to the dock and the most distant are maybe a 2 min walk if that far.I like a room near the water too,but too close can cause all kinds of problems with noise and damage from storms.

Hi Josh,

You are right, Buddy's changed their site since the last time I visited. Thanks for the correction.

Three the photos are from the Buddy's side of the resort and have no resemblance to the roach hole they stuck us in. One of them is a refurbished unit on the Lion's Dive side. I know, we have stayed on both sides. It is my experience that not all of the Lion's Dive units have been remodeled. I had this discussion with the travel agent who booked the trip for our LDS and it was confirmed by other people on different trips while we were all setting at the same table.

The root of the problem is that Lion's Dive was part of a timeshare and when Buddy's took over they had to respect that obligation. Why remodel a room that you get little revenue from the unit when you honor that obligation? Buddy's has decided to keep a number of rooms in the same condition when the timeshare program was in effect. Also, what better way to limit the timeshare stays? If you book a room at Buddy's stay away from the Lion's Dive side of the resort. You are paying the same rate and don't let Buddy's roll the dice to see if you get a decent room. Best thing you can do is pitch a b itch if you get a room like they stuck us in.

Actually, you can put a a lot of stock in "brochure" photos. Especially when there is such a deviation from those photos to the product being actually sold. That practice is called bait and switch, also know as fraud.

I must say that I have to agree with this. Our stay on the "Buddy side" was nothing but great. Our stay in a different year on the "Lion's Den side" was as different as night and day.

I would choose to stay elsewhere rather than stay on the Lion's Dive side!!!

I must say that I have to agree with this. Our stay on the "Buddy side" was nothing but great. Our stay in a different year on the "Lion's Den side" was as different as night and day.

I would choose to stay elsewhere rather than stay on the Lion's Dive side!!!

interesting! That might explain why we had such a great time and loved our room while other's complain here on SB. We were on the Buddy's side (can't remember our room number but we were on the bottom floor of that row of buildings right in front of the dive shop/piers. When we were there the resort was full, Kid's Camp was there too, so you would think it would be crowded and noisy...... NOT at all. We have nothing but great things to say about our stay there.
Only food negative is that the burgers at the poolbar are a bit rare (typical European style) unless you ask for well done. We forgot when we ordered ours and sent them back to cook a bit longer. No biggie. The rest of the food was good to great - sandwiches, chicken satay, salads all good for between dives. We ate dinner twice at Lion's Den (upstairs, fancy sitdown restaurant) and thought it was the best food we had all week. :D

robin:D

driftwood:
The root of the problem is that Lion's Dive was part of a timeshare and when Buddy's took over they had to respect that obligation. Why remodel a room that you get little revenue from the unit when you honor that obligation? Buddy's has decided to keep a number of rooms in the same condition when the timeshare program was in effect. Also, what better way to limit the timeshare stays? If you book a room at Buddy's stay away from the Lion's Dive side of the resort. You are paying the same rate and don't let Buddy's roll the dice to see if you get a decent room. Best thing you can do is pitch a b itch if you get a room like they stuck us in.

FINALLY! I think I've asked this question 3 or 4 times both here and on BT and never got a good answer. Thanks Drift! We'll be sure to request the Buddy side.

driftwood:
Actually, you can put a a lot of stock in "brochure" photos. Especially when there is such a deviation from those photos to the product being actually sold. That practice is called bait and switch, also know as fraud.

You're right, after the fact the brochure is proof that you got suckered. However, when deciding between a handful of different places, it's wise not to put much stock into the photos they provide you and try to find guest photos on sites like this or TA. With either side we end up on I'll be sure to not only describe the room in detail but also provide photos in my trip review.

skynscuba:
If you've only been doing guided dives, you'll learn a lot shore diving in Bonaire. Practice basic navigation in an easy-to-do environment, where mistakes are of little consequence. Practice getting back to your landmarks with exactly the amount of air you planned on having at that point.

No I've done my share of navigation... enough to know that prefer not having to like in Cozumel. But from what I gather, in Bonaire you swim west until you hit the reef, head north or south burning half your gas (well a little less than half to allow some wiggle room) then turn around, find your landmark then head east.

robint:
Only food negative is that the burgers at the poolbar are a bit rare
I thought it was wise to ask for them well done regardless of where you're at. They do the same in Cozumel. It good to hear that some good grub can be had at the pool bar... looks like at some reasonable prices too.

The rooms that we stayed in last week were on the Lions Den side. We have no complaints with the rooms. Not really a comfortable chair to sit in, but that happens a lot to me. When we were there I would guess that there were 5 or 6 other sets of guests there that were Timeshare owners, in their units. I guess I can understand the theory that Buddy's might not want to fix up units that they do not own, I would think the other owners in that unit would also be involve. So maybe not just a Buddy's problem if there are "bad" units. Maybe Buddy's only has the unit 16 weeks or something like that and the other owners do not want to "upgrade". Another theory.

And,,, our friends on the Buddy's side were envious of our Lions Den side rooms.

adios don O

I do not find Buddy to be too big..I found flamingo to be larger and the grounds at sand dollar to be in very poor shape.How close to the ocean you want the room to be? many of Buddys rooms are less than a 1 minute walk to the dock and the most distant are maybe a 2 min walk if that far.I like a room near the water too,but too close can cause all kinds of problems with noise and damage from storms.

We prefer Den Laman. One building, 16 condos, most units ocean-front, restaurant on site, ice cream/small grocery/eatery very close, second restaurant at Sand Dollar...cheaper than Buddy's.

We prefer Den Laman. One building, 16 condos, most units ocean-front, restaurant on site, ice cream/small grocery/eatery very close, second restaurant at Sand Dollar...cheaper than Buddy's.

I do not know how it is less expensive than Buddys...for 2 people in a unit at den laman its $1199.pp for a drive/dive package no breakfasts..
At Buddys its $1129.pp for same 2 people unit. for dive/dive package and includes buffet breakfast. and 6 boat dives.If you have as many as 5 you can get a 3 bedroom unit for $931.pp or with 6 you can get it down to $850.pp-ask for 2 pickup trucks instead of 1 van and Buddys usually accomodates you if vehicle available.
buddys has 2 restaurants onnsite (1 owned by kirk,who also owns the one at den laman) icecream/small grocery almost as close as den laman and rental cars on site not at airport so no line to wait in to get truck.

Last edited:
I do not know how it is less expensive than Buddys...for 2 people in a unit at den laman its $1199.pp for a drive/dive package no breakfasts..
At Buddys its $1129.pp for same 2 people unit. for dive/dive package and includes buffet breakfast..If you have as many as 5 you can get a 3 bedroom unit for $931.pp or with 6 you can get it down to $850.pp-ask for 2 pickup trucks instead of 1 van and Buddys usually accomodates you if vehicle available.
buddys has 2 restaurants onnsite (1 owned by kirk,who also owns the one at den laman) icecream/small grocery almost as close as den laman and rental cars on site not at airport so no line to wait in to get truck.
@oly5050user: Holy cow! If those numbers are accurate, that's really expensive. I've done Bonaire twice and, once we got onto the island, we paid $400 - $500pp for one week accommodations, unlimited nitrox diving package, and truck rental. Does Buddy's offer something else as part of that package?

Bubbletrubble,

Your trip seems incredibly inexpensive, perhaps you could give details. A week for 2 at Sand Dollar/BD&A in a 1 bedrm, breakfast, truck, unlimited shore diving, free nitrox is $994pp, $1107pp with 6 boat dives.

Good diving, Craig

I don't know about BT's trip, but I stay at GRI for around $700PP, truck, unlimited nitrox and buffet breakfast every morning. No boat dives are included but I do not boat dive on Bonaire anyway. If you do then you have to add that in...

Back
Top Bottom