Bonaire - Buddy's Dive Resort Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offthewall1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK... so for years I put off going to Bonaire... I went recently (January 31 - February 6th) because some friends were going (18 others,) so my wife and I signed up and went along. We needed a break from the daily grind.

We stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. It was very unimpressive and quite frankly not such a great place. The rooms were adequate, but the AC didn't work in some and took days to fix. There was construction going on the entire week - so whenever around the resort we had to listen to jackhammers. The hamburgers at Buddy's outside bar made 5 of our group puke (food poison?) The stairs get extremely slippery both in the condos and outside... so much so that a group member fell and hurt their back very badly.

If that isn't bad enough - we had heard stories of vehicles being broken into around the island... but didn't expect this at a resort with security guards on duty. Three of our guests had dive equipment, jewelry, electronics and cash stolen from their locked rooms. We can only assume the perpetrators were staff or had keys from previous stays. We noticed as the week went on the security personnel was routinely asleep at the guard gate.

On the day we were suppose to have our boat dives (and be able to pick our dive spots,) the boat crew told us they didn't put gas in the boat... so we'd have to stay close by and could not do the sites we desired. This on top of the fact that upon arriving at the resort the first day... our welcome consisted of a 15 minute sales pitch from their Camera shop trying to rent us cameras and vido equipment.

The diving on Bonaire left even more to be desired. Can I say blah enough? Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. Whether we went to the north side or south side or over to Klein Bonaire... all the sites were bleached with dyign coral. We literally saw dead scorpionfish, triple tails and a variety of eels lying on the reef dead or dying and gasping for air. ( I video'd much of this.) We were told by one of the DM's that the last hurricane did some damage and that some type of bacteria had killed off all the eels.

There were a couple of exceptions to the rancid reefs. Playa Franz, Small Wall and Old Blue all provided reasonably good diving.... but 3 sites out of 17 make this a destination to avoid for the forseeable future.

I'd think twice about a stay at Buddy's altogether... but I think the reef will likely bounce back in six months to a year.

Happy Diving...

Wow. Sorry to hear about your not so good experiences with Buddy's Resort. That's a lot to go wrong on 1 trip. Really don't like reading about stealing directly from the rooms and sleeping security.

We heard that about diving in the North.
Did you go to Alice in Wonderland or Angel City??

Great Trip Report. Hit the nail right on the head. Now that being said, I probably wouldn't of written it, and might even go back again.

The jackhammer finally went away about Wednesday of last week. The construction of the new kitchen got real old and will continue to do so. Especially when they were using the forklift. The container is finally gone.

Now, you got a sales pitch from the digital camera shop. Sorry that you didn't need that. I had four friends that took the half day class from John and all loved it. Having it forced on you would not sit well.

I will never understand loading onto a cattle boat for a one tank dive, and won't. So I will skip the boat dives. People standing in your way to get on. People standing in your way to get off. Then people just cluttering the docks with no respect for traffic. Seemed like a lot of rude people, or maybe just unaware.

The diving,,,, I have done a lot of diving on Cozumel. I remember every reef as a different picture. To me, on Bonaire, they are all the same. Just different entry points / ankle breakers. Let's see, maybe two rays, three eels and no turtles in two weeks. Lots of tarpon, so not quite the dead sea.

Getting a shock off of the shower on the dock was an experience. That was repaired by Thursday.

One evening somebody's room got ripped off around 7 pm. Think it was last Saturday.

So, why would I go back? The dive shop personnel have all been great. Krissy, Frank and Ebbey at Belmar and Augusto and Pepe at Buddy Dive. My wife is new into photograph and the reef dive at Buddies is incredibly simple. There are maybe three or four other dives that we enjoy, but do not need to "break a leg" at all of them.

I believe that Buddy Dive is all about groups and compromises. We had a kitchen and ate in a lot. Had dinner at the Lon's Den and it was fine, and walked over to Captain Dons, for the last supper. Made two rum punch parties. Having the breakfast's was nice.

Might go back, have to think about it for a while. Might need to try the Caymans.

adios don O

Thanks for the report OP---just a few more reasons for me to never go there---ie Bonaire.....

We stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. It was very unimpressive and quite frankly not such a great place. The rooms were adequate, but the AC didn't work in some and took days to fix. There was construction going on the entire week - so whenever around the resort we had to listen to jackhammers. The hamburgers at Buddy's outside bar made 5 of our group puke (food poison?) The stairs get extremely slippery both in the condos and outside... so much so that a group member fell and hurt their back very badly.

That's too bad. I really liked Buddy's and had the best burger of my life at the Lion's Den and really loved the diving. Sorry to hear the island has taken a slide.

The in-room thefts are very disturbing. They'll need to get a handle on that or tourism is going to suffer. I didn't really care much if someone steals an old t-shirt from the truck, but breaking into a room is a completely different story.

Terry

Great Trip Report. Hit the nail right on the head. Now that being said, I probably wouldn't of written it, and might even go back again.

The jackhammer finally went away about Wednesday of last week. The construction of the new kitchen got real old and will continue to do so. Especially when they were using the forklift. The container is finally gone.

Now, you got a sales pitch from the digital camera shop. Sorry that you didn't need that. I had four friends that took the half day class from John and all loved it. Having it forced on you would not sit well.

I will never understand loading onto a cattle boat for a one tank dive, and won't. So I will skip the boat dives. People standing in your way to get on. People standing in your way to get off. Then people just cluttering the docks with no respect for traffic. Seemed like a lot of rude people, or maybe just unaware.

The diving,,,, I have done a lot of diving on Cozumel. I remember every reef as a different picture. To me, on Bonaire, they are all the same. Just different entry points / ankle breakers. Let's see, maybe two rays, three eels and no turtles in two weeks. Lots of tarpon, so not quite the dead sea.

Getting a shock off of the shower on the dock was an experience. That was repaired by Thursday.

One evening somebody's room got ripped off around 7 pm. Think it was last Saturday.

So, why would I go back? The dive shop personnel have all been great. Krissy, Frank and Ebbey at Belmar and Augusto and Pepe at Buddy Dive. My wife is new into photograph and the reef dive at Buddies is incredibly simple. There are maybe three or four other dives that we enjoy, but do not need to "break a leg" at all of them.

I believe that Buddy Dive is all about groups and compromises. We had a kitchen and ate in a lot. Had dinner at the Lon's Den and it was fine, and walked over to Captain Dons, for the last supper. Made two rum punch parties. Having the breakfast's was nice.

Might go back, have to think about it for a while. Might need to try the Caymans.

adios don O

As stated above, I have never been to Bonaire(& will never go)...but I can 100% guarantee you that LC or Roatan will be better in every respect........Heck, even Cozumel will/did probably beat it--------

That's too bad. I really liked Buddy's and had the best burger of my life at the Lion's Den and really loved the diving. Sorry to hear the island has taken a slide.

The in-room thefts are very disturbing. They'll need to get a handle on that or tourism is going to suffer. I didn't really care much if someone steals an old t-shirt from the truck, but breaking into a room is a completely different story.

Terry

Agree on the Lions Den, but that is a different operator/owner that the OP refers to.
" Buddy's outside bar"

Also, the break in that I refer to was apparently an "unlocked room". But they still hauled off everything.

!00 % Bonaire needs to get a grip, Buddy's needs to get a grip.

adios

My big concern is that many magazines and publications rate Bonaire as a great place to dive... rating it #1 even in many categories... such as shore diving (which it isn't,) and as best for newbies (which it isn't.)

Shore entries were a nusiance climbing over rocks, boulders and rubble and the surge was horrible (perhaps just a bad week,) but the rocks, boulders and rubble isn't going anywhere. New divers will struggle with these entries and exits.

To answer someon'es earlier question - YES, we dove Angel City... I was curious how it got it's name? My thought going in was that maybe we'd see a lot of Angel Fish... but we saw only one juvenile French Angel on the hour long dive - and that one wasn't until we were doing our exit very close to shore.

Best Sites in order of greatness:
1. Playa Franz
2. Old Blue
3. Small Wall
4. Buddy's House Reef (during day)
5. Buddy's House Reef (at Night)
6. Jerry's Sponge Reef (Klein Bonaire)
7. Karpata
8 - 17. All blah and lame... not even worth a mention

Having been to both Roatan and Bonaire I would say that if you like shore diving, Bonaire beats Roatan hands down. Plus while in a beach bar at West End I got to see a knife fight in the parking lot. There's good and bad everywhere.

Too bad your experiences were bad on Bonaire and won't return, OP. Just means there's a spot there for me next time.

Hi offthewall1,

Wow, sorry you had such a tough time on Bonaire. My wife and I had a very different experience in November, staying at Sand Dollar and diving with Bonaire Dive & Adventure. Despite the rain most days, we had a great time and got in 16 good dive in 5 days. Rest of the trip went off without a hitch.

See you in Cayman.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom