Bonaire - Buddy's Dive Resort Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the Wall - if you really want to have some fun - post this same trip report on "Bonaire Talk". You will have to provide a copy of a police report to substantiate the charges on the thefts but it will be worth the trouble to see the posts you get back from the "Bonaire can do no wrong" maniacs. I've been to Bonaire 8 times but got robbed on the 7th trip at Buddy's. I firmly believe it was the security guard who came into our room. When I made a post on the Bonaire Talk site it ended up being an epic battle with over 100 posts until the moderaters closed the thread. You can search it on the site under "Bonaire Crime" in trip reports. Please post your report - I can't wait to see the response.

As for getting sick at Buddy's resteraunt, that could have easily been a case of a stomach flu and after traveling internationally through airports, IMO it is more likely a stomach/intestinal virus they food poisining. Bonaire has a reputation of having some of the best food (in addition to diving) in the Caribbean and when I stayed at Buddy's no one in our group became ill.

Aquaman_06, how soon we forget. I spent the first three days on my back. However, as you pointed out, I brought it with me. Started getting scratchy throat on trip to air port. Bummer to get sick in paradise. Glad I was able to rally for last several days. Thanks to buddy Z for getting me fruit from the bar before you all went diving.

Buddy Dive did give me voucher for extra boat dives because I was sick, not their fault and I appreciated them doing it.

Regarding shore dive entry/exit difficulties. The coast of Bonaire is not regular, but a long gentle curve. So each entry point has slightly different exposure angles to the prevailing winds and currents. If you find your selected entry looking too rough, try moving up or down the coast a couple of sites. Or move to the opposite end of the island.

I remove my fins in about 5 feet /1.5m of water. This way I can be standing up as I move through any breaking waves. If you swim in until you're grounding out, then you have to stand up with your gear in moving water. You can wind up getting tossed and rolled. As you move towards shore, keep your reg in your mouth so a wave splash doesn't choke you. This can also protect you in the event of a face plant. Shuffle your feet along, with a wide stance. Don't lift your feet, scuttle them along the bottom. This way loose rocks or holes won't surprise you. Don't look into moving water intently. This can give you motion vertigo. If there is more surf (for lack of a better word) than you can cope with, team up with your buddy and walk out bracing eachother together.

If you are on shore and someone is having trouble, get in there and help them.

OK... so for years I put off going to Bonaire... I went recently (January 31 - February 6th) because some friends were going (18 others,) so my wife and I signed up and went along. We needed a break from the daily grind.

We stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. It was very unimpressive and quite frankly not such a great place. The rooms were adequate, but the AC didn't work in some and took days to fix. There was construction going on the entire week - so whenever around the resort we had to listen to jackhammers. The hamburgers at Buddy's outside bar made 5 of our group puke (food poison?) The stairs get extremely slippery both in the condos and outside... so much so that a group member fell and hurt their back very badly.

If that isn't bad enough - we had heard stories of vehicles being broken into around the island... but didn't expect this at a resort with security guards on duty. Three of our guests had dive equipment, jewelry, electronics and cash stolen from their locked rooms. We can only assume the perpetrators were staff or had keys from previous stays. We noticed as the week went on the security personnel was routinely asleep at the guard gate.

On the day we were suppose to have our boat dives (and be able to pick our dive spots,) the boat crew told us they didn't put gas in the boat... so we'd have to stay close by and could not do the sites we desired. This on top of the fact that upon arriving at the resort the first day... our welcome consisted of a 15 minute sales pitch from their Camera shop trying to rent us cameras and vido equipment.

The diving on Bonaire left even more to be desired. Can I say blah enough? Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. Whether we went to the north side or south side or over to Klein Bonaire... all the sites were bleached with dyign coral. We literally saw dead scorpionfish, triple tails and a variety of eels lying on the reef dead or dying and gasping for air. ( I video'd much of this.) We were told by one of the DM's that the last hurricane did some damage and that some type of bacteria had killed off all the eels.

There were a couple of exceptions to the rancid reefs. Playa Franz, Small Wall and Old Blue all provided reasonably good diving.... but 3 sites out of 17 make this a destination to avoid for the forseeable future.

I'd think twice about a stay at Buddy's altogether... but I think the reef will likely bounce back in six months to a year.

Happy Diving...

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thankfully, my experience was quite different, but a couple of years ago. I also stayed at Buddy Dive, however, my room was quite nice (although other's in group needed to be updated). I found Augusto and the other DM's to be very helpful. The occasional boat dive to Klein took only 3 or 4 divers + 2 DM's, no crowding issues. Bart was an extremely helpful DM and they were open to take us where we wanted.

When I went, all of the reefs had quite a bit of life, especially some of the southern double reefs...very enjoyable. I'm assuming a lot of what you saw was due to the recent hurricane, it was nothing like that when I went. I guess I'll see if I notice any difference when I go later this year. I heard there is a disease with the eels right now, but I never saw a dead fish and there was abundant life.

Not so sure why the entry/exits was such a problem. Yes, it is rocky and slippery in some areas, and some sites have shallow coral that needs to be avoided... some are worse than others. But, a slow, calculated entry worked for us. Dove around the clock every day and never an issue...might have slipped once at Tori's Reef. The shore diving overall was extremely easy. Good point about the slippery steps at Buddy, definitely watch your step. You'd think they'd cover those damn things with a non-slip material.

The truck break-in's at divesites are well-known and people take precautions...windows down, no valuables, etc. However, the break in at Buddy's is a little disturbing. I personally had no issues but the couple next door did get their rental camera snagged off their balcony during the night. They definitely need to improve their security, the guards do seem to be pretty damn lazy.

The construction sucks. My stay was peaceful and enjoyable.

Give the reefs some time to rebound, and you might have a better experience. I'm looking forward to going back. But, again, my experience was quite a bit different.

Off the Wall - if you really want to have some fun - post this same trip report on "Bonaire Talk". You will have to provide a copy of a police report to substantiate the charges on the thefts but it will be worth the trouble to see the posts you get back from the "Bonaire can do no wrong" maniacs. I've been to Bonaire 8 times but got robbed on the 7th trip at Buddy's. I firmly believe it was the security guard who came into our room. When I made a post on the Bonaire Talk site it ended up being an epic battle with over 100 posts until the moderaters closed the thread. You can search it on the site under "Bonaire Crime" in trip reports. Please post your report - I can't wait to see the response.

Good point, Palaupete. When the couple in the next room got their camera stolen (this was a couple of years ago) off the balcony during the night I had recalled the security guard was in the area not long before sundown...kinda makes you wonder.

I was just curious, did they break into your locked room? If so, and there was no sign of forced entry, it makes you wonder if it isn't in fact one of the guards...disturbing.

Like I said, my Bonaire visit was otherwise extrememly enjoyable. But security is an issue.

I just returned from Bonaire last evening, after staying at Buddy's for a week. And I have to say I agree with the OP.

We arrived on the early morning (6:15 AM) flight after having traveled 17 hours from Seattle. Got to Buddy's around 7 AM, only to be told our room wouldn't be ready till noon. This was despite the fact that we had been assured we'd have a room when we arrived, and that they were checking in all the big groups that arrived on the same flight without issue.

OK ... so we went off to get some breakfast, did the orientation, did a dive, and came back. It was 12:30. The room still wasn't ready. So we went and did another dive.

Came back around 2 PM. Room STILL isn't ready ... and about half our luggage is now missing. Despite the fact that we had put it right where they told us to ... and despite their assurances that it was quite OK to leave it there ... someone had decided to take it back to the airport. Since we'd been diving, that luggage had all our ID, money, and everything else in it. So off we went to the airport to hope and pray we could retrieve it. It was sitting on the sidewalk ... right where the Buddy's driver had put it without checking to see if it actually belonged to anybody they had just transported out to the airport.

By this time, I was getting so tired of hearing "there's nothing we can do about it" from the staff at the front desk I was ready to hit someone ... particularly given that by then we had been on the go for about 30 hours without sleep and all I really wanted was a place to sack out.

Finally ... around 3 PM, they told us our room was ready. Nobody offered to help us haul our luggage from the lobby to the second-floor room they assigned us ... we did it ourselves (again, the staff at Buddy's only seems to be interested in helping the large groups that frequent the place).

The room ... 109 ... was old, not in good repair, and it stank like old, unclean mildew. The air conditioner in our room had two speeds ... arctic and off. We chose the latter. The hot water heater is someone's idea of a bad joke ... when I was in college we used to call those "pony kegs" ... there was almost enough hot water for one shower, and the temperature was turned down so low it was more warm than hot ... I never once used the cold water knob in the shower all week long.

About the only good thing I could say about that room is that if it was any closer to the water we'd have been sleeping on the dock. We went there to dive, so that was a plus for us.

As for the other amenities ... the place was overcrowded! And therefore, the locker room was inadequate for everyone to have space for their gear. A couple times I came into the locker room to find that someone had removed my gear from the pegs where I'd hung it, and someone else's gear was there. Once I even found someone's wetsuit hung over mine on the same hanger!

The boats were packed! If you weren't standing there when they posted them on the bulletin board, you didn't get on ... within minutes every boat dive was filled up. We got in the six boat dives that were included in our package, but it took some effort on our part to make sure we were standing there when they posted the next day's dives and signed up immediately.

We wanted to do the Salt Pier, but even though we signed up (and paid) for the trip immediately, they put us off for a couple days, and finally gave us our money back and told us that no divemasters were available to take us ... guess they figured we weren't as lucrative as those big groups that they were taking. With a few exceptions, I got the impression that the help there really didn't much care whether we had a good experience or not.

One DM, in particular, really had an attitude problem. Generally on boat dives, I'll stay reasonably close to the DM because they tend to know where the "good stuff" is (like seahorses and such). This fellow was just there ... I didn't see him making any effort at all to locate any critters for anyone. So after a while I wandered off on my own dive. He had set a 60-minute time limit, so at 60 minutes I was back under the boat. Looking up, I saw 14 people all hanging onto a line, waiting to board the boat. So I figured I'd wait a few minutes to let the mob board before heading up (we were in 14 feet of water). After a couple minutes, he comes down and gives me a thumbs-up. I looked up, saw that about eight people were still waiting to board, gave him an OK, and continued looking around till the cluster cleared the ladder. As the last person reached the ladder, I headed up ... cleared the surface at 66 minutes. Back on board, one of the folks I was traveling with mentioned that she had finished the dive with almost 1300 psi (shallow dive). I said "wow, I thought I was doing good coming back with 1,000". The DM gets in my face and said "And I came back with 2,000 .... 60 minutes means 60 minutes" ... and then he stalked off to the flying bridge. Nice guy.

For the most part, I found the "help" to be about the least "helpful" of any place I've ever stayed. And the repair work the OP mentioned ... well, while we were there they had work trucks blocking the little turnaround where everyone needs to go park in order to load their gear. And at the roadside fill station, seemed like the kayak rental guys had priority over customers when it came to parking ... and blocking access to the fill stations. Hell, once they even backed up to block me in while they loaded their kayak paddles (those paddles are heavy, after all ... they couldn't have parked 30 feet further down and carried them from their shed so as not to block people in while they were doing their thing).

On the positive side ... I took a 1/2 day photo class, and got way more than my money's worth. And the reef there is very nice ... in fact, it's a fantastic night dive. And the beach bar makes killer sandwiches for a decent price, and service is reasonably efficient.

Other than that, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Buddy's, overall, is the worst place I've stayed yet on Bonaire ... and for sure I don't need to repeat the experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK. So here is my trip report from my stay at Buddy's on 2/21 - 2/28.

We arrived on the Delta afternoon flight and I guess it was around 4:00pm when we got to the resort. Check-in went pretty smooth and we were assigned room #504 which is on the Lion's Den side of the resort. When the girl at the desk showed us on the map where our room was going to be I though "Oh no" because of all the bad things I had read about that side. Well I couldn't have been more pleased with our room. It was a one bedroom unit (two single beds) on the ground floor. It had a/c in both the bedroom and the living area and both had remotes that worked well. The room was clean and there was plenty of hot water in the afternoon when we took our showers. This unit is right at the pool and only steps from the dive shop and restaurant. Maybe it's just luck with the room assignments when it comes to the Lion's Den side of the resort but as the saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky..........."

The food we had at the resort was good. It's not gourmet by any stretch but it was good and usually plenty of it. The breakfast buffet in the morning had fruits, cereals, sweet breads, eggs cooked to order, bacon, sausage, etc.....I think you get the picture on breakfast. Lunch was also good as well as the evening meals we ate there. We did do Richards one night and Casablanca one night and I highly recommend them. The food there was top notch. There is happy hour at Buddy's bar from 5:30 to 6:30 and I thought they did a good job with the drinks.

As far as the dive staff goes, we really didn't interact with them except for the paperwork and dive brief. We didn't do any boat dives and didn't take any classes so I can't really comment on them. My limited interactions with them was fine though. I will say that the guy at the photo shop (John I think was his name) didn't mind sharing his thoughts/perspectives about uw video since that is what I have gotten interested in. He seems like a really nice fellow.

The drive through was as I remembered it. Two lanes where you pull through and load tanks. There were a few times where things got a little backed up in the mornings. Mostly it was from people getting nitrox tanks and having to check the tanks and fill out the board. Don't really know what can be done about it though. I just dove air all week and never bothered to check the fills. They were always 2900 - 3100. We stored our gear there in the storage area at the drive through. Always found plenty of space. The gear storage area by the dive shop does get too crowded.

So what about the diving? I thought the northern sites overall had better vis than the southern sites and one day at Karpata it was spectacular. The vis at the southern sites wasn't bad but just not as good as up north. There is some damage from the hurricane in the shallow areas up north but I didn't think it was as bad as some have reported. When you stop a moment and really look at the rubble, it's filled with 1000's of little fish. Great places to hide. I guess you can see what you want to see when it comes to things like that.

Our best dive as far as seeing lots of different things was Red Slave at the southern tip. Do that dive first thing in the morning because the current is much less and the entry/exit is easier. We had no problems at all. We saw three spotted eagle rays, one of the largest green morays I have ever seen, and a decent sized turtle as well as all the usual fish, sponges, and corals. Another good one south of town is Red Beryl.

Overall I thought the reefs looked great and I wish I had a penny for every fish I saw. I'd be turning in my notice tomorrow if that was the case. Sure there are some damaged areas and you see some dead coral here and there. But that's just some place where new life can take hold and continue on the cycle.

Overall my stay at Buddy's was fine and it was what I expected it to be. Would I use them again......yes. But there are lots of really nice properties going up and if I were to go again, I'd check some of them out and maybe give them a try just for a change. Prices for some of the new places are really good right now and may get even better.

Anyway, that's my report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom