Bonaire and young children

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblehead628

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was planning another trip to Bonaire this year with my wife and wanted to invite my cousin and his wife to come with us. They are relatively new divers and we haven’t seen them in a while as they live up north. He said that they would like to go and would like to bring their kids, a boy and a girl, who are 6 year old twins (Oh Boy). He said that most hotels have babysitting service and all would be fine (Oh Boy). We usually go to Buddy Dive and I checked and yes they have a babysitting service (Oh Darn). Before I go on they do have family to watch their kids if they travel and have done so many times, so that is not an issue.

I admit I can’t say I’m being objective here, but I personally don't think Bonaire is really that great for young kids, especially in that age group. Being stuck with a baby sitter is not IMHO fair to the kids nor that much fun. Although, I suppose the Donkey sanctuary would be interesting for them. To be honest I would rather not have them along for a number of reasons, but mainly I truly believe that Bonaire is not place for young children.

So my question is – are my concerns about Bonaire not being conducive to young children unfounded?

Thanks

Doug

Buddy Dive has activities for these kids..besides the donkey location there is swimming /snorkeling at the pool/ocean(if they know how to swim) treks north to the park, art/craft kind of stuff..I feel your concern as I would not want my inlaws to bring their kids on our vacation time.

While I can't imaging bringing young children to Bonaire, as long as it does not interfere with yout dive plans, it seems to me the problem is theirs, not yours. If you are concerned with it interfering with diving, work it out before you go or get 2 trucks.

Getting two trucks is a good ideal.
Another thought is for them to bring a relative to provide child care for the kids while on island.

Thanks for the responses. Two trucks for sure, but still I think it will have an impact on the trip itself. I know it's their problem, but they are family and thus becomes our problem too. Anyway, I still have a little time to try to gently discourage bringing them. If we were going somewhere else like PR, then no prob bringing them (separate hotel rooms). I'll suggest they bring their Nanny (yes they have one, well not sure if they still do though) anyway their very own sitter is a good idea too.

Thanks

The need to look after and entertain the kids will impact your trip. If my observation that many women tend to feel more obligated to be considerate of/tend to others holds true here, your wife is apt to try to compromise your dive focus to pander to their needs (e.g.: group outings, etc...). You solo certified yet?:wink:

As to what impact it will have on the kids, that depends partly on them. If they are outdoorsy, and can 'self-amuse' in rustic environs, they may have a good time. Likely aggravating local wildlife chasing lizards and what-not, I suspect.

On the other hand, if they're urban or suburban 'house kids' who need technology (e.g.: X-box, Playstation, their usual cable channels) or other civilization-based things, that could be a problem.

If they like pools as much as many kids, and don't usually have access to one, the pool or snorkeling might keep them occupied a lot. Be sure to use sunscreen liberally.

Richard.

I personally would not choose Bonaire for a dive trip if I had to take young children with me. Don't get me wrong, I love Bonaire but I don't think it is fair to the children and i know that i would be too preoccupied with concern for them that i would not devote the attention to diving that Bonaire deserves. The two positive things I see in the situation is that there will be two of them and that it sounds like Buddy Dive is set up to handle it, especially if, as Richard said, they are adventurous.

Again Thanks for all your comments, drrich2 and uncfnp hit on what is our main concern, that my wife would be preoccupied with their (kids) well being. That is her nature and it would impact our vacation, which she hasn't had in a long while. I kind of lost perspective that this trip was for her more than for me. Perhaps if they were older pre-teen and up it may not be as much of a concern, but 6 years old is really too young IMO. I guess I will have to "man-up" and tell them that bringing their kids to Bonaire would not be a good idea and if they decide that's a deal breaker, well so be it.

Thanks

Doug

Might help to point out that the Bonaire shoreline is largely ironshore, not sand. It's not the kind of 'beach' where kids typically go have a lot of fun (sand castles, etc...). In fact, a kid getting to close to the edge could fall off (in some places there shore edge is a steep drop down to the water, or you could fall off a pier messing around; either could happen to a kid) - could be a drowning hazard for little kids unless watched really closely. Plus falling on it can get you skinned up badly.

Not sure how much of an issue that is for a 6 year old. I'd be nervous about a 4 year old romping around by the ocean in some places there, but I haven't dealt with a 6 year old in a long time.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom