Bonaire Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
My gf and I are traveling to Bonaire at the end of March, and I have four questions for those who have been before.

(1) What diving (not just general Bonaire info) book(s) would you recommend? In particular, I'm looking for something that describes the various (shore) dive sites in detail.

(2) What fish ID book would you recommend (looking for s/t as specific to Bonaire as possible)?

(3) At this point, we're planning on only doing shore dives. What do we gain from boat dives to Klein? Is there something qualitatively different about the dives there? If so, please explain. And how much is it for a two tank boat dive? Recommended operators? If we do any boat dives, it'd be at most two. We're coming for the shore dives!

(4) Is the town pier worth paying a DM for? I've gotten mixed suggestions about this? What does this site offer that others do not? And how much is a typical DM for two divers?

Thanks!

Hi Rainer,

1) I would recommend Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. A new edition just came out, so it will be very up to date. You can order it before your trip or wait and get it once you're there. I believe a lot of the dive shops will have it available for purchase. I know it was available at BelMar. More info can be found at this website: www.bsdme.info

2) I use the Reef Fish Identification (Florida Caribbean Bahamas) by Paul Humann & Ned Deloach and have found it very helpful.

3) I've been to Bonaire twice and only did one boat dive to Klein the first time. I didn't really find it to be too different than the shore diving, so my husband and I didn't feel it was worth the extra money. Besides, we liked the freedom of not being on anyone else’s schedule.

4) We haven't been able to do the Town Pier because both times we were there, ships were in port all week (around Christmas). I think to dive either pier it's $25 per person. We did get to do Salt Pier this last trip and I thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely thought it was worth the extra money. I guess it's just an individual thing though, because another couple we were talking to, before we went , didn't think it was worth it and had us reconsidering going at all, but we decided we should do it at least one time. I was really glad we went. We'll be in Bonaire in March also and plan to do the Town Pier, if possible. I'd like to do it at least once, just to see for myself what it's like.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to Bonaire.

Martha's advice is good.
We went in April and loved it.
We dove with Toucan Divers and had a really good experience.
Klein was supposed to have more seahorses than Bonaire but we didn't see any.
Shore diving was just as good.
Go to the Hilma Hooker wreck.
We got Nitrox certified there at a discount and Nitrox is free with a package at most hotels at least it was at the Plaza.
I'm pretty sure it was at Captain Dons as well
Have a great trip I can't wait to go back.

Thanks so much for the advice!!

mlkco:
We dove with Toucan Divers and had a really good experience.
Go to the Hilma Hooker wreck.

I assume the Hilma Hooker trip was a boat dive? Who did you go with? Toucan Divers, Captain Don's, or someone else?

Rainer:
3) At this point, we're planning on only doing shore dives. What do we gain from boat dives to Klein? Is there something qualitatively different about the dives there? If so, please explain.
It's all similar in what you'll see. Differences for me were doing a drift dive at Hands Off and seeing Black Coral at Forest. Klein is so close that you can do two dives over there and back easily by 11:00. Especially from Buddy's or Bonaire Dive & Adventure - the closest to Klein - located in Den Laman condos.

A good dive you can only do by boat off Bonaire is Rappel. But there's similar reef structure you can shoredive just up/down the coast from there.
And how much is it for a two tank boat dive?
Non-package around $35 for one tank through Buddy's. But 2/$50 if you buy their Unlimited Shore pkg. for $110. Everybody else will have a similar or better deal, they're pretty competitive.
Recommended operators?
I second the recommendation for Toucan Divers. Smaller boats, less crowded. I also liked BD&A for shorediving at Bari Reef. But you'll probably get the best deal through your resort so don't shop around much.
And how much is a typical DM for two divers?
Don't know currently but talk to your DM, some do it as a private deal not thru their resort. I think Salt Pier's better than Town Pier, early morning is best.

akscuba:
Thanks so much for the advice!!

I assume the Hilma Hooker trip was a boat dive? Who did you go with? Toucan Divers, Captain Don's, or someone else?
If you do the Hooker from a boat(some do) you'll meet divers from shore on the wreck. The only reason to really do it by boat - besides the short surface swim - is if you want to drop on the outer reef first and then swim in to the wreck. But then you're all deep going back to the boat. It's better to do it from shore and putter around off-gassing back up the slope.

Martha covered it well. As far as the town pier, I thought it was one of the best dives of my life. I saw more new species on that one 50 minute dive than I have since my first ocean dive. And I saw ocotpus, seahorses, arrow crabs, bristle stars and a host of other critters that I have never seen before. Well worth the money for me. I think it was about 30 or 35 dollars. It was a night dive by the way, I loved it and would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone.

I did the Hooker from shore, it was an easy shore dive.

I took the wife out on one boat dive, about 35 bucks each I think, just because she was a new diver and had I wanted her to experience a boat dive. We did Sampler wtih Wannadive. I didn't see anything special about it as far as the diving except that we saw flying fish on the way back. Another new species for me.

Have fun and post a trip report when you return. I would like to see your pictures if you take any.

PM me if want other details.

BTW the BSDME book is really good and we used it to death. Nearly wore it out in 10 days.

akscuba:

nope, it's a shore dive too

she has markers fore and aft, swim to one of the markers, and descend right on her

We were in Bonaire in November. We had ordered the Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy a couple months ahead and already knew some of the places we wanted to go. Wannadive Bonaire was a great dive operation. Took one boat dive with them which was nice but I hear that there is a particular site around Klein where the turtles are. But anyway - shore diving is definitely the way to go. The Paul Humann books are the way to go. Also my husband did the town pier and thought it was awesome. Very much worth the money! Have a great time!

I did the town pier with a friend of a friend (a local) and it was a really nice night dive. Lots of things to see and this gentlman really had an eye for detail and knew where to look.
I would also recommend Larry's wildside diving. It was a hoot and there were some larger species on that side. It is not for newly minted divers, though. There were a fair number of turtles and rays.
Klein Bonaire offers a somewhat better shot at seeing turtles.

Back
Top Bottom