Bonaire Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghflash:
In November I did two night dives on the Town Pier. It was absolutely incredible! I have never seen such a collection of different creatures and the sheer volume of them was astounding. Everything from seahorses to eels to juvenile drums 1/2" long to brittle stars and fire worms and more tiny crabs than I have ever seen. The life on any one peir is mindboggling.

We stayed at Deep Blue View and Etser always schedules her dives at 9 PM.......roght after the cattle call groups are through. We were the only people on the pier during our dives, once with a group of 4 and once with a group of 6. With a lot of people around I can see where it would be problematic. I'll post some of my Town Pier pictures. I can't wait to do it again in February.

I, too, saw an incredible arrays of things when I did Town Pier: snow tires, 4 plys, BF Goodrich,old Firestones, retreads from dump trucks ,Coopers and even some Micheliens. There was the odd oil drum here and there but sometimes you miss them when the vis is not so good. The pilings are nice, if you like pilings, but I think the best view of the pilings is from the very bottom, on the sand, at 22ft or 24 ft. I knew a diver that saw a seahorse there but was trampeled into the Firestones by newbie divers when he tried to swim over to it.

There is no particular shore dive that is more prone to theft than others. The crooks are pretty mobile. Be careful of your spare tire getting stolen because you will have to pay your deductable to the rental car co. There is a rumor that the rental car companies are in on this. There is also some talk of police complicity in all of this but that too is just a rumor. It is something I would be concerned about. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

changed deposit to deductale

I would LOVE to see any pictures people have taken in Bonaire. Does anyone have them up on a website?
There's over 500 in the Photogallery here on SB.
And there's some nice shots here:
http://www.pbase.com/mandrade/bonaire200401
akscuba:
Also, does anyone know if there are any shore diving sites which are particularly prone to theft (ie-the most secluded, away from the road ones). We'll be leaving the truck totally empty and unlocked, but it is still good to know where to avoid going.
The Northern sites are generally going to be more isolated. Some of them have parking areas on the opposite side from the water, a couple have a path down to the water. At 1000Steps, it's 64 stone steps down to the beach and the lot is across the road. So you're not even going to see the truck. There was generally someone coming or going at Karpata or Witches Hut when we were there.

At the southern sites around the Hooker and then further down past Salt Pier, you can easily see at least 3-4 other sites in either direction. Some in that area can't be 200yds. apart. Usually there's other divers in the area or workers at the Salt Pier also.

My feeling was there's less shoredivers in the afternoon when it's hotter - except us... Which seems counterintuitive since most of the boats go out in the AM.

How does it work if you get a package that includes, say 6 boat dives? Do the resorts/dive ops have a list to sign on which dives you want to go on (reserve a spot) or do you turn up at the dock and scramble for best spots? Does a pkg mean that those six are the morning dives on different days of the week from the particular place you are on or any other limitations? I assume places have more than one boat, who goes on which?

I want to go to Bonaire too! (And I will!)

How much one enjoys Town Pier depends a lot on the diver and their diving style. It's a macro site, lots of small critters that require the diver to go slow, get close and pay attention. Stay 10-20 ft out from the pier and/or swim like jaws is chasing you and you will not enjoy the site.
Here is a link to a few of my Bonaire photos. http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/index.php?cat=10010

piikki:
How does it work if you get a package that includes, say 6 boat dives? Do the resorts/dive ops have a list to sign on which dives you want to go on (reserve a spot) or do you turn up at the dock and scramble for best spots? Does a pkg mean that those six are the morning dives on different days of the week from the particular place you are on or any other limitations? I assume places have more than one boat, who goes on which?

At Toucan at the Plaza they have a signup board for each boat outside on the wall. After orientation they place you on a boat for the first day. But you can switch to a different boat just by moving your name over as long as there's room - we did it twice to dive with people we met there. There really are no "best spots".

6x1 means 1 dive per day either morning or afternoon. 6x2 generally means two dives in the morning. But I think you can do it almost any way you want if there's room. btw, they have 4 boats, 3x12 and 1x18. But they were never full when we were there.

piikki:

Buddy Dive has a board for each of it's boats. The name of the next site the boat is going to is on the board and if you would like to go on that boat you just put your name and room number on the board (until all the spots are full). 6 dives means 6 dives reguardless of AM , PM or a mix, your choice to sign up as you wish as long as there is room on the boat. It's your choice on a first come first come basis. The next trip information is usually posted shortly after the boat leaves. You can see where each boat is going the next trip as soon as you return.

pilot fish:
I, too, saw an incredible arrays of things when I did Town Pier: snow tires, 4 plys, BF Goodrich,old Firestones, retreads from dump trucks ,Coopers and even some Micheliens. There was the odd oil drum here and there but sometimes you miss them when the vis is not so good. The pilings are nice, if you like pilings, but I think the best view of the pilings is from the very bottom, on the sand, at 22ft or 24 ft. I knew a diver that saw a seahorse there but was trampeled into the Firestones by newbie divers when he tried to swim over to it.

OUCH! :confused: Did I hit a nerve, Pilot Fish? Sorry you couldn't see past the tires, there was a LOT there to see. Herman said it right, go slow and get close and you'd be amazed at what you'll find there.

jghflash:
OUCH! :confused: Did I hit a nerve, Pilot Fish? Sorry you couldn't see past the tires, there was a LOT there to see. Herman said it right, go slow and get close and you'd be amazed at what you'll find there.

No hit nerve, not at all. I just find it amusing. But you're right, I could not see past the huge, scattered piles of tires. I saw nothing there that I could not see any place else. The only thing I saw there that I could not see anyplace else was the old Firestones. I swam so slowly, [ there is no room to swim quickly ], that divers behind me were swimming around me. To take your time in a multi-colored reef [ I usually do ] looking for small critters is fine, and fun, but to swim among rotting car and truck tires seems a waste of good air. For me anyway. Hey, if you guys like that kind of thing, then go for it, but it's just not for me, especially when there are so many other fine, and better, sites around to dive.

herman:
How much one enjoys Town Pier depends a lot on the diver and their diving style. It's a macro site, lots of small critters that require the diver to go slow, get close and pay attention. Stay 10-20 ft out from the pier and/or swim like jaws is chasing you and you will not enjoy the site.
Here is a link to a few of my Bonaire photos. http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/index.php?cat=10010

Those are nice BONAIRE pics herman, but none of them are of the tires at the Town Pier. As you know, there just is not enough open space to swim as if you are being chased by jaws. I think jaws might find the site a tad uninviting anyway:D

My feeling is, if you like swimming amongst tires and jetsam to find a lone seahorse, fine, but I prefer a colorful reef that has varied sealife. To each his own. As you correctly point out, we all have different styles and preferences. Tires are just not my thing. :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom