Bonaire Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the Town Pier as a night dive. 10 minutes into the dive I thought, this is a waste of time and air. It was the most boring dive I ever did. All it is is a bunch of old tires laying in a pile at 20 ft. It's like diving in a sunken tire garage. The Salt Pier is much better.

Do not rent a car and go around the island shore diving. If you do. make sure you leave all the windows open and NOTHING, I mean nothing, of value in the car.

I also hated the Town Pier dive. It was very crowded, and I spent more time trying to avoid other divers and the pier than I did looking at fish life. We love the Salt Pier, tend to do a day then a night dive. Since when do you have to have a DM to be with you at the Salt Pier? You used to just have to get permission, to make sure there wouldn't be any boats coming in.

Texas Girl:
Since when do you have to have a DM to be with you at the Salt Pier? You used to just have to get permission, to make sure there wouldn't be any boats coming in.
Since the Int'l Port regulations went into effect. It's an anti-terrorism measure. It's been at least a year ago. It's just like Town Pier now, you book it through your diveop and the DM goes along.

I've done Town pier day and night. When we were there at night it was way too crowded, I too was avoiding piers and people more than anything. Day was better because we were the only ones there, and in the shadows many critters seemed to think it was night anyway.

I'd say it's ok but a bit overhyped. While there is interesting stuff you can see the same things elsewhere. If you don't get a chance to get there I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I always suggest the "Salt Pier". It is a photographer's dream, especially at night, and is really never crowded. I personally prefer it to the Town Pier.

Liz

In November I did two night dives on the Town Pier. It was absolutely incredible! I have never seen such a collection of different creatures and the sheer volume of them was astounding. Everything from seahorses to eels to juvenile drums 1/2" long to brittle stars and fire worms and more tiny crabs than I have ever seen. The life on any one peir is mindboggling.

We stayed at Deep Blue View and Etser always schedules her dives at 9 PM.......roght after the cattle call groups are through. We were the only people on the pier during our dives, once with a group of 4 and once with a group of 6. With a lot of people around I can see where it would be problematic. I'll post some of my Town Pier pictures. I can't wait to do it again in February.

Sounds like Town Pier is really touch and go! Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's incredibly boring. It seems like perhaps Salt Pier is the way to go and we'll do that for our first trip to Bonaire, and save the Town Pier for the next trip.

I would LOVE to see any pictures people have taken in Bonaire. Does anyone have them up on a website?

Also, does anyone know if there are any shore diving sites which are particularly prone to theft (ie-the most secluded, away from the road ones). We'll be leaving the truck totally empty and unlocked, but it is still good to know where to avoid going.

Thanks for all of this advice!

akscuba:
Sounds like Town Pier is really touch and go! Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's incredibly boring. It seems like perhaps Salt Pier is the way to go and we'll do that for our first trip to Bonaire, and save the Town Pier for the next trip.

I would LOVE to see any pictures people have taken in Bonaire. Does anyone have them up on a website?

Also, does anyone know if there are any shore diving sites which are particularly prone to theft (ie-the most secluded, away from the road ones). We'll be leaving the truck totally empty and unlocked, but it is still good to know where to avoid going.

I never had any problems with theft while diving at any of the sites but I was told my some of the folks I was diving with, who have been there several times, that dive sites at the north end of the island were worse than the ones south. Just be aware and you shouldn't have any problems.

Be sure to dive Angel City -- a fantastic, and easy, shore dive. Angel City was my single favorite Bonaire dive.

akscuba:

Here is the trip report from my last trip...http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/1022/291791.html?1157320919

In regard to sites, and theft. Just don't leave anything of value in your vehicle. I wear script glasses and put them in my bc pocket. I have old crummy shorts and flip flops I wear to the dive site. I figure, if someone wants them, well, it certainly won't ruin my trip.:14:

Back
Top Bottom