Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Rick

I tend to prescribe to "DIH" method of diving. That's Doing it Hodgepodge. Taking little bits of methodologies from all walks of diving and applying it to the diving I do. In this case, I've been reading how much emphasis DIR puts on clipping stuff off with bolt snaps so I figure you guys would have a sure fire way of attaching stuff, and after just tieing all those little knots I can say they are great! The nylon line's ability to melt on itself really secures the item nicely while allowing it to be severed in a pinch. Thanks again!

Daylonious:
The argument I've heard is that the SS Boltsnaps at the scuba place have SS springs on the inside (as opposed to brass or some other metal). You can tell if yours has a SS spring by looking at the swivel - if there's a little hole there then your spring isn't SS and could *potentially* foul or rust - locking up the bolt snap. (I think that the hole is to periodically drop a little dab or oil silicon grease or something in there)

I've tried to find boltsnaps without the little hole at a couple of different hardware stores, but haven't had any luck.

But hell, at $1.50 a piece or whatever at your local hardware store, when it gets too hard to snap or unsnap, toss it and replace it.

D.

I just bought 2 SS boltsnaps at Tractor Supply that do not have the little hole, so I guess they have SS springs. They were $5.20 each.

I found a bunch at the local feed store for dog collar parts. SS all around.

Second the reccomendation for Nix Dog Collars. They sell enough to divers that they have a special link, "diving snaps", if you scroll down a bit.

Great price, all stainless. Although it's been since last summer that I got any from them.

All the best, James

you would think the bolt snaps would be a dollar a piece

So why is the Bolt snap the choice of DIR?
I would think a snap shackle would a better choice. They realease under heavy load, a bolt snap can't. They are much easier to open & close with or with out gloves, they are less likely to snag on something and they handle greater loads, so a lighter smaller one can be used.

002_060_001_002.jpg

Snap bolts don't relase under heavy load. And that is "exactly" the point.

They can also be operated with one hand. I'm not familiar with the snap shackle, but they appear to require two hands to operate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom