Bolt snap on primary hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431:
Actually, I thought they were no longer using a breakaway on the long hose clip? I heard that current DIR logic is to use cave line to attach the boltsnap...
Yep - that's how I was taught in December. Reasoning was the primary is clipped off (with OC diving) when it's owner is breathing his/her buddy's long hose.

An argument I've heard to the contrary is the primary is also clipped off after a switch to a deco gas. The answer was that at that point, the OOA diver has either his/her own deco gas or primary back gas reg to breathe from, so doesn't need the clipped off primary.

The exception is divers using CCR's.

Jon just don't steel my hood this time ok!:sarcasm:

I'll start a new thread for this week in the WV.

LUBOLD8431:
Actually, I thought they were no longer using a breakaway on the long hose clip? I heard that current DIR logic is to use cave line to attach the boltsnap...

The way I was taught, and the reasoning I still use for attaching bolt snaps is as follows:

Emergency life support equipment is secured via cave line to bolt snap. i.e. backup lights. You wouldnt want to have a light failure and find that your backup lights had "broken away" and all you have left is the snap.

Equipment that has a secondary attachment method and could pose an entanglement hazard uses breakaway clips.
i.e. SPG. Since an SPG is also attached to you by the HP hose, it wont get "lost" if the breakaway clip seperates. And if you were doing a backroll off a boat and your clip got hung, it would be very beneficial for it to be a breakaway. I do know of one instance where this happened and the diver was stuck hanging over the side until someone was able to cut the clip loose.

This method for determining when to use caveline and when to use o-rings seems the most sensible to me. Of course there will be other opinions on it, but I prefer to make my choices on what seems reasonable or logical, rather than just a "party line."

Snowbear:
Yep - that's how I was taught in December. Reasoning was the primary is clipped off (with OC diving) when it's owner is breathing his/her buddy's long hose.

An argument I've heard to the contrary is the primary is also clipped off after a switch to a deco gas. The answer was that at that point, the OOA diver has either his/her own deco gas or primary back gas reg to breathe from, so doesn't need the clipped off primary.

The exception is divers using CCR's.

Sorry, I'm still on DIR 1.0. Guess it’s time to upgrade...

Dave

ColdH2Odvr:
Sorry, I'm still on DIR 1.0. Guess it’s time to upgrade...

Dave
Why are you sorry? Everyone has an opinion and not all will agree. I was just stating what I was taught in my particular class. Apparently the "DIR way" is ever changing. I was taught stuff that contraindicated what was in the book and on a couple of items was told the standard may be changing yet again. Most of it is nit-picky stuff (like zip ties vs cave line vs O-rings) and in the everyday to day dives, it really doesn't matter as long as the people diving together are working from the same page.
I've switched most of my stuff over to cave line, except what's still zip-tied :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom