Bogus barracuda attack story (Miami)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I usually don't buy into these types of rumors, but a good friend of mine (a non-diver) in Miami said that an instructor working for Austin's Dive Center in Miami was recently attacked by a barracuda and it caused a horrible eye injury. I tend to think it is BS (besides, how did the barracuda get past his mask?), but my friend in Miami says everyone down there is talking about it. I can't find anything about it on Google. Anyone from Miami hear this? Is it just an urban legend? No, I am not a looney tune!

Last edited:
I usually don't buy into these types of rumors, but a good friend of mine (a non-diver) in Miami said that an instructor working for Austin's Dive Center in Miami was recently attacked by a barracuda and it caused a horrible eye injury. I tend to think it is BS (besides, how did the barracuda get past his mask?), but my friend in Miami says everyone down there is talking about it. I can't find anything about it on Google. Anyone from Miami hear this? Is it just an urban legend? No, I am not a looney tune!
It might be an urban legend, but it's easy to see how somebody could sustain a horrible eye injury from a barracuda attack and how it would get past (through) the mask. Scroll down to these classic posts by Cudabait, #10 and #16:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/33429-barracuda-attack.html#post353484

the animal exploded into my face and mask. The lower jaw struck my regulator, knocking it from my mouth. The upper jaw struck my mask in the area of the corner of my right eye. Teeth from the upper jaw tore thru the mask and through my nose, cutting two small arteries.
Saw my doctor. X-rays & CT-scan revealed I had a massive orbital blowout. My right eye was sinking back in my head, etc. Saw one of the best Opthalic-plastic surgeons in Houston. He did reconstructive surgery complemented by generous amounts of titanium, etc.

Call Austin's and find out. 305-665-0636.

I'm going by there on Friday, I'll ask.

It might be an urban legend, but it's easy to see how somebody could sustain a horrible eye injury from a barracuda attack and how it would get past (through) the mask. Scroll down to these classic posts by Cudabait, #10 and #16:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/33429-barracuda-attack.html#post353484

This sounds remarkably like the story my friend told me, except in his version the barracuda ate the victim's eyeball after the orbital blowout. I ain't buying my friend's story. Sounds like he might be recapping the above story with extra added grisley details.

Yeah Cappy, it sounds like your friend might be embellishing a little. Some guys never let the truth get in the way of a good story though. :wink:

Cappy,

I kinda try to keep up with these reports. I haven't heard anything from FL yet.......however, I've been in the Bahamas for the last week. I know of one man who lost part of a hand (unprevoked) while snorkling with his 12 year old daughter a few years ago in Cozumel. Stanger yet, a man and a woman were hit by barracudas on a night dive at the Flower Gardens Naational Bank. They were diving from two different boats. They were lucky. The hits were in the BCD area and they both received softball size hemotomas.

When we dove the Flower Gardens, on all our night dives we were told NOT to shine lights directly at the Barracudas, were told they follow them in like tractor beams.
My wife kept flashing her light at them (she couldn't believe how large they were) & it definitely was getting their attention, luckily I was able to get her to stop before they got too curious.

Cudabait, pretty cool story man! I am happy to hear everything went ok and your still diving. Little new here obviously is why i never saw your thread before this. I use to have the same darn cuda over in Bimini follow me around 4 footer. Kind of got a little creepy after an hour. Anyway, the guy who use to clean the boat bottoms at a local Marina said his wife use to help him until a cuda slashed her hand up pretty bad while under a boat. This happened probably 6 years ago. She never helped him again :(

I went by the Austin's today and the story is true. He was an instructor of mine. Please don't make light of this tragety. This is no BS. He was seriously injured.

My condolances to the Instructor. He's one of the best!

Deep SeaExplorer is right on........I spoke with the people at the shop. The diver, an instructor, did in fact lose an eye. (Name omitted) I wish him the best and want him to know that we are all in his corner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom