Boat seat belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve - are you also against the compulsory wearing of seatbelts on buses and coaches?

For myself, yes. I prefer to make my own decisions and not have some dumbass tell me what to do. Would I wear one? Almost certainly. However if some dumbass tells me I have to then I am unlikely to wear one. My decision is the best decision for me.

What about the other people you might hit if there is a crash and you are unrestrained? What about THEIR civil liberties? In your own car with no-one else there is one thing, but anywhere where someone else could be affected by your decision isn't the state right in intervening?

Trust me, you will never convince me that it is better for a bunch of gooberment boneheads to intervene on any subject. You lost me at "civil liberties". I am not looking to debate my position. I am not open to new ideas on this because I have no use for the boneheads that makes these such decisions.

For myself, yes. I prefer to make my own decisions and not have some dumbass tell me what to do. Would I wear one? Almost certainly. However if some dumbass tells me I have to then I am unlikely to wear one. My decision is the best decision for me.

Since you failed to read my post.....

What about the other people you might hit if there is a crash and you are unrestrained? What about THEIR civil liberties? In your own car with no-one else there is one thing, but anywhere where someone else could be affected by your decision isn't the state right in intervening?
It's not just "Would I wear one? Almost certainly." It's also what about those others on the same car, bus or ferry who don't wear theirs. Yeah, I'd like them kept from flying into me too. In their own car or bus, it's different if they only harm themselves - except they run up insurance and medical costs for all here, so making it a legal requirement does benefit all.

I am still amazed that Texas repealed it's motorcycle helmet law. :shocked2:

If the truck is on the ferry, should he have two seat belts?

Pete, I think the answer is out. Big ferries would benefit from them, perhaps not on private runabout boats or yachts.

having people wear their seatbelts in ferries is about like having them wear them on cruise boats.

It'd only make it easier to recover the bodies when a ferry sinks if they were seat belted in place....

It's not just "Would I wear one? Almost certainly." It's also what about those others on the same car, bus or ferry who don't wear theirs. Yeah, I'd like them kept from flying into me too. In their own car or bus, it's different if they only harm themselves - except they run up insurance and medical costs for all here, so making it a legal requirement does benefit all.

I am still amazed that Texas repealed it's motorcycle helmet law. :shocked2:

I said I was not in this to debate but I have time for one more post :D.

We are talking ferries right? Water "shuttles"? Cruises? Or are we talking:

cigarette_boat_jumping_wave.jpg

If not the boat in the spoilers then we are not talking about boats that are travelling fast enough to throw people hard enough to rip my head off. I will likely get bumped FAR worse travelling on a NYC subway. I call :dramaqueen: on most of the arguments brought up.

Back to your regularily scheduled programming.

Last edited:
I think this one comes equipped with shoulder belts

0.jpg

Some of you are confused, mistaken, and/or both about the whole concept of civil liberties. Driving is not now nor has it ever been a right. It is a privilege and with privileges come caveats called rules and laws. Maybe you have heard of them. Some of those laws include obeying speed limits, adhering to traffic signs and lights, carrying insurance, driving on the correct side of the road, etc. Now several states have also enacted laws that include wearing seat belts which is well within their perview to do so. Those of you that see yourself as some sort of guardian of civil liberties by not wearing a seatbelt are really committing a petty offense and placing your life in jeopardy. The good news is that many insurance companies are now refusing to pay claims because you made the conscious choice to place yourself in danger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom