Boat seat belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a boat I cant see seat belts benefiting a "typical" collision beyond about 20mph. Reason being is that most of the fiberglass would be destroyed in the boat. I think that for preventing ejections and getting thrown into other objects it would be highly beneficial, but personally in an open hull with a rollover senario i would want thrown out of the boat, and in a capsized senario i would not want to have to undo a seat belt.

Boats have different factors to consider unlike cars, and seatbelts in one is a 6 of one half dozen another situation

Back to the topic...

With automobiles, there is a lot of data showing the effectiveness of seat belt use despite a some increased risk in specific injuries (such as getting trapped). Based on this data, it became very clear seat belts were overall a positive improvement. The same path was followed by the air bags (again, some risk with overall increased safety)

Is there any similar data on boating and seat belts?

I don't know where to put this, as it is indirectly related to diving. After a boat collision here some months back when one person was killed and others were seriously injured, I suggested locally that as it seemed that all injuries and the fatality had been caused by people being thrown against parts of the boat, a useful safety measure would be to fit seat belts to prevent people being thrown around. My family bought a boat years ago that had seat belts fitted, so it does happen.

All I got for my pains was derision and mirth. Showing to my mind a complete lack of understanding. What do people here think of the idea of seat belts being fitted to high speed passenger boats? I'm not thinking of dive boats, more the high speed inter-island ferries we have here and which are commonplace around the world.

Why is it that some people want to turn a rational discussion into a mud-slinging match? Is it simply that that's all the verbal arsenal they have available to them?

I don't know what to tell you. You asked for opinions I gave mine, but others want to debate. Lots of angry people here.

Why angry? It was s simple question about boat safety and the effect of seat belts.

simple question about boat safety and the effect of seat belts.

what about this guy? safety belt or not? :idk:

BoatBedTruck.jpg

To belt Or not to belt that is the question. I used to take a high speed commuter ferry to work through Boston harbor once upon a time. It was about a 20 minute ride and usually a pleasant one the seats were similar to those on a tour bus or airplane. I suppose that seat belts could be useful in severe circumstances like unexpected weather. But like others have mentioned the crew of a commercial boat should be highly aware of all possible navigation hazards with few exceptions depending on geographic location. But as some of you might be aware thats not always the case:
'Chaotic', 'frightening' tour boat accident on Boston Harbor
Dozens hurt in Staten Island ferry crash - The Boston Globe
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/philadelphia-tourist-duck-boat-overturns-rescue/story?id=11109700
What kind of restraint system would you use? I don't think that due to the increased range of movements with boats a lap belt would not work you would have to use a 5 point harness. I could be wrong but I don't think its practical in the commercial boating industries.

Last edited:
If the truck is on the ferry, should he have two seat belts?

Pete, I think the answer is out. Big ferries would benefit from them, perhaps not on private runabout boats or yachts.

I am against the government demanding (and enforcing) that I wear a seat belt on any boat. As for the Grammar police, I think they should have more power.

ScubaSteve - are you also against the compulsory wearing of seatbelts on buses and coaches?

Back
Top Bottom