Boat seat belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver.3D:

The incidents I cited were, indeed, anomalies. I never said otherwise. The point I was making is that seeing them made me, personally, skittish about wearing seat belts. If you will re-read my posts, I did not once say that no one should ever wear one. I simply said that I choose not to wear one and why. I see it as a matter of personal choice. As such, I am aware of, and willing to accept, the consequences of my decision.

ZenDiver.3D:

The incidents I cited were, indeed, anomalies. I never said otherwise. The point I was making is that seeing them made me, personally, skittish about wearing seat belts. If you will re-read my posts, I did not once say that no one should ever wear one. I simply said that I choose not to wear one and why. I see it as a matter of personal choice. As such, I am aware of, and willing to accept, the consequences of my decision.

Just out of curiosity and for comparative purposes...

You named about 5 anomalies that weighed your decision not to wear belts. How many instances did you see where a seat belt probably saved the life of the person involved in an accident?

With boats, different layouts and configurations make belts a bit problematic, while I'm not calling them a bad idea, they may be a better idea in some boats than others and the likelihood of being trapped is much more of a significant issue than it is in cars as the auto industry has done extensive research simply not likely in the marine industry.

:thumb:

Having worked on high speed ferries and ridden on crew boats I can see a limited use for them. They might be useful in some heavy seas, but I'm not sure that I would want to be in that type of weather recreationally. That said, on the standard recreational boat I don't see a need for belts.

Last edited:
ZenDiver.3D:

I re-read, and realized that AfterDark made the moronic fake seatbelt, My apologies about that.

So, we are on anomalies, then. I understand the fact that some things that are beyond horrific, stand out and can shape your opinions, but this is really something you should hash over and rethink.
I have seen 16 incidents here in the past years, where upon impact, the driver and/or passenger went through the windshield. Others, were just as bad. Even in the lower speed impacts, I have seen spinal damage from the rider being slung because they were not restrained. My cousin who is in the trauma unit in Savannah, Georgia can go over years and years of serious injuries and fatalities that were avoidable. My husband's best friend has the job in the highway patrol of notifying families after fatal car accidents in Atlanta. He has stated over and over that most all of his job would have been unneeded if they had worn seat belts.

I watch parents here ride with their toddlers and kids on their laps. We call them crunchy airbags..... The kids here bounce all over the car and adults don't buckle up.

Yes, I drive at high speeds in a sports car. I always wear a seatbelt. Even back home in my Jeep, I wear my seatbelt, Not because it is the law. Because I like living. And I don't want to survive a car wreck as a parapalegic when wearing a seatbelt can let me walk away.

Please think about this, and maybe change your mind. Of course, you have the right to make your own choices. I hope you have a long life to make many.

the driver and/or passenger went through the windshield. Others, were just as bad. Even in the lower speed impacts, I have seen spinal damage from the rider being slung because they were not restrained

Curious about your use of the word "rider". Just a slip, or are you talking about motorcyclists or horse riders? I've heard of seatbelts on some motorcycles - BMW fit them to some models - but never for horseback riders.

Having worked on high speed ferries and ridden on crew boats I can see a limited use for them. They might be useful in some heavy seas, but I'm not sure that I would want to be in that type of weather recreationally. That said, on the standard recreational boat I don't see a need for belts.

My reference (I was the OP) was to high speed inter-island ferries which here are the main transport for many people. These ferries travel at 40-odd mph, day and night, sun or (heavy) rain. At night they don't of course have headlamps, only low power navigation lights to show that they're there. So they trust that there are no obstructions ahead, and every now and again they get it wrong.

Curious about your use of the word "rider". Just a slip, or are you talking about motorcyclists or horse riders? I've heard of seatbelts on some motorcycles - BMW fit them to some models - but never for horseback riders.

Lol... I should have said passenger..... As in, not just the driver, but the passenger too.:D
Motorcycle riders here are just gone, if they wreck at over 100mph in heavy three lane traffic. I've never heard of a seatbelt for a bike hmmm.... And horse riders- are pretty much okay. :cool2: Though we have seen the occasional loose horse or camel on the side of the highway.....

My reference (I was the OP) was to high speed inter-island ferries which here are the main transport for many people. These ferries travel at 40-odd mph, day and night, sun or (heavy) rain. At night they don't of course have headlamps, only low power navigation lights to show that they're there. So they trust that there are no obstructions ahead, and every now and again they get it wrong.

well, that and radar :) There are a lot of tools made available on to the navigation team, accidents shouldn't happen, but unfortunately they do. For example, the ferry that I worked on the wheelhouse could have been mistaken for a airplane with all the monitors... One of the nice things we had was a night vision system similar to a FLIR

This was the boat I was on

FlyCloud.jpg

Should seat belts be required? I don't think so, but having them might be nice if the conditions warrant it. I wouldn't have minded some seat belts on the ones that I was on, they may have kept the tourists from annoying me :wink:

I don't see why a boat must have a seat, much less a seat belt. But if you want one, install one, just don't lobby to try to make me install one.

Motorcycle riders here are just gone, if they wreck at over 100mph in heavy three lane traffic

A motorcyclist would have to be crazy to ride at over 100mph in heavy three lane traffic, at any rate the sort of bike-ignorant traffic I've seen in the parts of the States I've driven in. The UK and Europe are a bit different as motorists (car drivers) are mostly far more bike-aware, but even so riding at those speeds in close proximity to other traffic is not a recipe for a long life. I have ridden much faster than 100mph close to traffic, but only when I have an escape route. If I'm surrounded by traffic I feel very uncomfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom