Bluewater Sunday 4/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02:
Hmmm I knew that you'd be hooked! Ask Mike to pick one up at Phil's shop and he can deliver. Glad that you liked it.

Actually I could do that.. and bring it down May 18-20th DIve n Dine.

(Or you could prob get it from him UPS Ground in 2 days for 10 bucks or so and try it beforehand). He's got a 30 day guarentee so if you don't like it, you can return it.

But already sounds like a return is unlikely. :D

A one piece harness will not be that comfortable on women with shall we say ample endowment...A harness with a chest strap as a rule will fit things better. Yes the Transpac is good but the Transplate is even more so....a Venture wing would be an improvement over the travel wing...and a DSS 26 donut with a Transplate or pac will be even better..see Phil for a deal.......on Dive Rite.....

Now don't confuse me. I am blonde you know.:wink: What is the difference in a transpac and a transplate and why would DSS be better? I chose the travel wing because of it being small, compact and was adequate for the type diving I do.

The Transpac and the Transplate both have the same "front end" the Transpac has a soft back and the Transplate can have either a aluminium or stainless plate. The Transplate will be a bit more rock steady and if you chose the SS your talking about four or so pounds off the weight you need. While the travel wing will work it is not as robust a wing as the Venture. The profile of the DSS 26lb wing is much lower and equates to less drag, and has good lift ,I have had mine in a 5mil with a steel 108 and a 40cf deco bottle and it held me up just fine. Now deal wise going with DR all the way is cheaper and you certainly won't be unhappy, I was just giving you IMHO the best case. Most people I know have migrated from the Transpac to the Transplate. I dove a Transpac for years, actually a Transpac 1, and it's still as good as the day I bought it, abeit a bit faded. I only gave it up to go to a harness to be as streamlined as possible and to dive doubles or I would still be using it and I may go back to using it when I get to old to wrestle a one piece harness.....
Yarg

Thanks for the info. I want to make sure I get the right thing this time. I have not been satisfied with my seaquest diva and I paid alot of money for it. I want to be as streamlined as possible and have to use as little weight as possible. When I was at Blue Water, I had on alot of wetsuit, 1m full, 3m full, 5m core, 2 sets of boots, gloves and hood and I only needed 10lbs of weight with the set up I tried which was the small transpac and travel wing. If you are diving in the tropics and have on a 1/2m, do you think the 4 extra lbs from the SS would ever be too much weight?

Check out this "backplate/wing" deal for $399.
Includes Plate, wing, & Harness. (You'd need to add cam straps for tanks and maybe weight pockets).

http://www.divesports.com/mall/divesports_pkg_bpwcombo.asp
bpwcombolg.jpg

Notice I didn't specifiy the brand? that's because some certain manufacturers **cough** won't let you advertise for less than list price if you specify their name. It's easy to figure out the brand name :D

I use a AL plate in a .5mil with a AL80 and then 6lbs.....so if I used the SS plate I would only need 2 lb....so you may be a bit heavy in the SS but if your diving majority is in this area and you are going to be in some kind of a heavy wetsuit/drysuit most of the time then the overall most use choice would go to a SS plate. You could always purchase a Al plate for tropical travel later on to cut down on the weight a bit and just change out the plates for the trip. That is the versitility of a harness and backplate.

Are you familiar with Halcyon's SS backplate, harness and wing setup? Is that along the lines of what you are recommending? It doesn't have a chest strap and you custom fit the harness so it doesn't come in sizes.

tstonedvr:
A one piece harness will not be that comfortable on women with shall we say ample endowment...A harness with a chest strap as a rule will fit things better.
Denise-
I have not found that to be the case for me. I dive a one piece harness and don't want a chest strap. I guess to each her own.
I'm sorry I missed you Sunday--I was there too. Of course, I didn't get to talk to tstonedvr either--he was on the dark side of the quarry when I saw him.
I have a DR BP/W for doubles and just purchased a DSS single setup. I've only tested the DSS on one trip, but was very impressed. It was incredibly stable without requiring a STA. I would be happy for you to borrow either setup to try them out. My DSS should be on the Oriskany Friday (yeah!), so this weekend is out, but I could meet you at ABWA most any other weekend if you'd like.

Thank you very much eanxgirl. I am sorry I missed you too. Do you use the transpac or transplate? These guys have about talked me into the notion that I would be better satisfied with the backplate. I only tried a transpac Sunday. I wish that I had tried the transplate also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom