Blue Springs Flood Photos and Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fills are about 10-15 minutes away from FRP. I know that Land Locked posted times but I have never seen Joe tell somebody that he was closed. Joe literally lives at the quarry.

True, so true. He does not literally close the quarry at 4, he prefers you check in before 4 pm. Otherwise you are cutting into the Happy Hour at FRP. :D

Paradise Dive shop is within 15 minutes of the quarry, 10 if you drive like Wally.
Paradise hours,
10-7 M-F
10-6 Sat
12-5 Sun

True, so true. He does not literally close the quarry at 4, he prefers you check in before 4 pm. Otherwise you are cutting into the Happy Hour at FRP. :D

Paradise Dive shop is within 15 minutes of the quarry, 10 if you drive like Wally.
Paradise hours,
10-7 M-F
10-6 Sat
12-5 Sun

Cool! Thanks for the info!

e-coli is also a major concern I have. I would want to see test results before I was comfortable diving there again.

What about Haigh? It's actually closer by a hair than Gilboa and a great training quarry.

Another option would be Joe Clark's Falling Rock Park in La Grange KY just NE of Louisville. That would be a great option for the Cinci folks. I'm surprised they haven't moved there some time ago.

There's a couple reasons the Scuba Shack hasn't dove more at Joe's. A big one is air fills and the availability of fills at the quarry. Blue Springs was also one of our old instructor's favorite quarries before he passed away, and we've done alot of work there over the years, so we kinda felt at home there.

I was on vacation when all this happened so I came back yesterday long enough to hear about it before I left on business travel. Don't know yet what's going on for BS or with our students, but hopefully we'll hear more this week.

John

So HAS anyone heard from the Blue Springs folks yet? Is there going to be a reopen date set etc? Heck, has the water even dropped down yet?

I emailed them and haven't heard anything - I think I have their phone number hee somewhere, I may call. However, this weekend is a Gilboa weekend and next is France Park

So HAS anyone heard from the Blue Springs folks yet? Is there going to be a reopen date set etc? Heck, has the water even dropped down yet?

Our shop spoke to Dave a couple days ago. The back parking lot is still underwater, and he said visibility looks pretty bad right now. He told us that he thinks it'll be a couple weeks before they'll be able to have divers back in, but I don't know if that includes any kind of water quality test..

They have at least two weeks of repairing docks. Including the ones that weren't repaired from the first high waters.

Our shop spoke to Dave a couple days ago. The back parking lot is still underwater, and he said visibility looks pretty bad right now. He told us that he thinks it'll be a couple weeks before they'll be able to have divers back in, but I don't know if that includes any kind of water quality test..

Unless we insist on it, it doesn't. He won't spend a dime unless he's forced to.

Kinda thought the same thing but I was going to be nice for a change.

Since this subject has been brought up several times. I was playing around a couple of years ago and found a web page, state I think, where BS is suppose to have their waters checked yearly. It seems that ecoli was very high in the not so past and they still catch high levels. Talk to anyone that has been around for a while and they will tell you about the out houses down by the water(we're not talking port a johns).
Take a look at the check in, there is a water test. I asked a few others in the area if they had to have it and they looked at me like I was crazy. Last year during my rescue class, one of us had a small leech on our foot. I don't normally associate a leech with a clean pool of water. However the leech was found on the far side where MOST people don't dive from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom