Blue Hole - Nov. 14th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ntxdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am driving from Dallas to Las Vegas for DEMA and was going to make a stop to dive at Blue Hole on Sunday, November 14th. Anyone going to be there and need a buddy?

Also, any suggestions on places to stay or other dives in the area?

We will be there at Blue Hole the 13th and 14th with OW/AOW classes. :D
Make sure you bring a 7mm wetsuit or drysuit. Tanks can be rented from Stella but she usually isn't there at BH until around 9am.
Nearby is Perch Lake and you might be able to get a buddy to go over and dive there... just be sure to have a drysuit for Perch as it is going to be colder than BH.

Where to stay? There are several hotels in town to choose from. Some have a free breakfast, some don't. Some are diver friendly and some aren't. You can tell pretty much by price if you check online with Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Not alot of food choices though as it is a very small town. Be sure to take a cooler with lunch/snacks/water to BH as there is nothing there. Zip.

robin:D

Thanks Robin. I will have a drysuit and tanks so I am good there. Thanks for the info on the food, I will be sure to have some.

Also, I am assuming the altitude change to the west will prevent me from driving on that afternoon? I haven't checked the elevations closly but was planning to spend the night in Santa Rosa for that reason.

Thanks Robin. I will have a drysuit and tanks so I am good there. Thanks for the info on the food, I will be sure to have some.

Also, I am assuming the altitude change to the west will prevent me from driving on that afternoon? I haven't checked the elevations closly but was planning to spend the night in Santa Rosa for that reason.

We usually hang out in Santa Rosa (4500' altitude approx) for at least an hour before starting the drive back west. Then it is about 1.5 hours til we get to Sedillo hill.
The hill, just east of Albuquerque is part of the pass through the Sandia/Monzano Mts, and is over 7000', then you quickly drop down into the city of ABQ at 5000'. The altitude then goes back up gradually to around 6000' from there to the border of Arizona. That one hill, at the pass, is your only real elevation issue. As I said, we usually wait an hour before departing Santa Rosa and that is plenty of off-gas for us.

I am considering considering going down the weekend of the 6th or the 13th and I need a buddy also. If you are going to be there on the 14 that would work. Unfortunately I don't have a dry suit (next years purchase) I have dove Perch lake in January in a 7mm and as I remember it was around 40F. I would not recommend doing that again but maybe November is better. For me 50 in wetsuit is tolerable but 40 is miserable. I am not sure if they ever opened the dive center either. The building is built and looks great. I keep hoping it will open with heated changing rooms but I think they ran out of money to finish it inside. Changing out of a wetsuit in the unheated bathroom there can be very exhilarating.
Anyway if your interested let me know.

Sounds good mweaver. I'm game for the 14th. I believe there is some permit I have to have. Can you tell me how to get that?

Sounds good mweaver. I'm game for the 14th. I believe there is some permit I have to have. Can you tell me how to get that?

Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes
click on the Permit Request Form
print it out and take it with you
$8 for a weekly pass is what you check off
have cash with you... sometimes the Permit clerk comes on Sundays and sometimes they don't (they are always there on Saturday mornings). Have it ready to hand in.

Awesome robin, thanks! Hope to see you there.

mweaver, I'll PM you to workout meeting up.

We were just over on Saturday morning for 2 quick dives and I got to shoot some video with my new WA lens. Wow! There were only 4 divers there at 8am, vis was perfect. I got in a good long dive and I am thrilled with the WA lens. :D When we came up from dive, the parking lot was already filling up with 2 large classes, one from ABQ and another from Texas. We were gone by noon. :wink:

I am trying to get the video edited, but my first run through is amazing!!! For the first time on video, you can see all around BH, since it is a WA, and with the clear vis it is really cool.

Robin,
That sounds like some great video. I will check it out on your vimeo site!

I hope to get there early as well and beat the crowd. What time does it open?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom