Blue Hole - Nov. 14th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin,
That sounds like some great video. I will check it out on your vimeo site!

I hope to get there early as well and beat the crowd. What time does it open?

I am not sure if they are still locking the gates up on weekends. We usually try to get over there on Sat and Sun mornings around 7am.

Since it is Nov, it really is only divers there right now, the summer swimmers are all gone. Some weekends there are more people than others, depending where they are coming from (Colorado dive shops usually arrive on Friday afternoons and leave early Sunday). Since Stella doesn't get there until around 9am, unless you are bringing your own tanks, you will have to wait until then to dive.

Are you arriving on Saturday or Sunday?

robin:D

I'll arrive Santa Rosa Saturday evening leaving from Dallas that morning. Planning on diving Sunday.

The lock on the gate to BH is broken. It may look like it is locked, but we could not get the lock to close. Of course they can replace that at any time.

Stella is generally there by 8:00am. She is however free to do as she will, so that is not a hard time. She has also been there every friday evening for the past few months, or at least when we have been there.

When we were there a couple weeks back, the hole was Packed with divers. Like a TON, more than I normally see on a given weekend. We in fact went straight to Perch on Saturday morning. By Saturday afternoon a lot of these divers will have left as they are there doing classes, and there is a 3 dive max for most training agencies.

Sunday is a GREAT day to dive. Generally the agencies are done by 11:00am and gone. By 1:00 there is often no one in the water. It takes a while for the hole to renew, but afternoon diving on Sunday can be quite good, and the place is empty.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy.

Great, thanks for the info on Sunday afternoon diving!

Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes
click on the Permit Request Form
print it out and take it with you
$8 for a weekly pass is what you check off
have cash with you... sometimes the Permit clerk comes on Sundays and sometimes they don't (they are always there on Saturday mornings). Have it ready to hand in.

Robint,
How does this work?
I have been just twice. The first time they I had the money and the permit filled out but nobody was around for it. The second time I was in a class and the instructor took care of it. If we just print it out and keep it with the money in the car is that what you do? If we are in the water before anybody is around to collect do you just look for someone to pay when you get out?

Robint,
How does this work?
I have been just twice. The first time they I had the money and the permit filled out but nobody was around for it. The second time I was in a class and the instructor took care of it. If we just print it out and keep it with the money in the car is that what you do? If we are in the water before anybody is around to collect do you just look for someone to pay when you get out?

They are very inconsistent, which is part of the problem. There is a City Clerk who is supposed to come over and get permit forms and money, distribute the tags, etc. but they don't have a set time or schedule. I usually see the person around 9-10am on Saturdays. Sometime dive shops take the filled out forms to the Clerk's office downtown on Friday and get it taken care of then, which is always an option. Stella had the tags and was collecting money for them for awhile but there was an issue, so it stopped. It is very disorganized, to say the least. So.... what I recommend to everyone is to print out the form, have the $8 exact change handy, and if they clerk is there on Saturday you can pay. (The person walks around with a clipboard and stops at every group) If they don't come, or you are in the water when they do... oh well. Until the Bldg is opened and everyone has to go though it to get to the Hole, there is no efficient way to collect the money.

If you are going to BH often, I recommend buying the $25 annual pass which can be done through the mail (Jan-Jan tag).

Thanks Robin,
I will keep the money in the car for them. I heard they have a fairly hefty fine if they feel like enforcing it so I prefer to pay if I can. The annual pass is a good idea I will probably get one when I go down for dry suit class in Jan. I hope they get that building open soon as it will make a huge difference. Hot showers and warm place to change that's gong to be great. I am not a big fan of the crater but that's where most OW classes at my LDS go now because of the cold.

I may not be coming over this weekend. Ron has a large group of students (12-15) and 3 assistants, so I might just stay home. We also have an instructor coming over with a Rescue class. Weather is cooling off drastically this week, too.

If you don't make it Robin, thanks for all the help with this post. I'm looking forward to my first NM diving this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom