Blue Hole Hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Blue Hole is the most overrated dive I have done to date. It was hyped up and turned out to be a let down. When diving to certain depths, especially past 100 feet or so..one needs to ask themselves...what really is worth going that deep for.....I heard it was an awesome site so I went.

After about 8 minutes or so it was time to ascend....what a waste of gas and nitrogen build up. I had more fun at the safety stop.

If I ever get bent, I hope its at a site where I enjoyed the dive. :)

jepuskar:
The Blue Hole is the most overrated dive I have done to date. It was hyped up and turned out to be a let down. When diving to certain depths, especially past 100 feet or so..one needs to ask themselves...what really is worth going that deep for.....I heard it was an awesome site so I went.

After about 8 minutes or so it was time to ascend....what a waste of gas and nitrogen build up. I had more fun at the safety stop.

If I ever get bent, I hope its at a site where I enjoyed the dive. :)

That is the universal comment I've heard from scores of experienced divers, Comments go like this, it's ok but nothing special, waste of time, glad I did it but would never do it again, waste of gas, ho hum dive, once is enough and no marine life.

How does Devil's Throat in Coz compare?

Dragon2115:
My wife accidently snagged my regulator hose and pulled it right out of my mouth. It wasn't her fault because we were trying to do something that required us to be very close to each other.

What were you two trying to do that required you to be very close to each other?
Could you please fill us in on the details?

Thats the way I want to do it.
-gm

PaulChristenson:
Compared to an OW + AOW 9 dive wonder...what about the following??

What is the Accelerated Freefall Program (AFF)?
This program has 8 jumps to achieve....
Jump 1 - Two Jumpmasters
You first AFF jump requires six to eight hours of ground school. Two jumpmasters are assigned to each individual student and, weather permitting, you will be able to "suit up" and make your skydive! This provides for 40 seconds of freefall directly supervised by two certified jumpmasters and allows you to land your parachute with radio instruction.
Jump 2 - Two Jumpmasters
Two jumpmasters again exit the plane with you as you continue to learn the basic movements of body flight.
Jump 3 - Two Jumpmasters
You exit the plane with two jumpmasters, learn body and ground reference awareness as you fall with your jumpmasters next to you.
Jump 4 - One Jumpmaster
You learn basic control through minor turns and forward flight, guided by one jumpmaster.
Jump 5 - One Jumpmaster
This level continues instruction with more precise turns and forward movement, again one jumpmaster. At this time you also spotting (directing the plane to the exit point).
Jump 6 - One Jumpmaster
You learn more advanced maneouvers, including loops and recovery from planned unstable body positions, again with one jumpmaster.
Jump 7 - One Jumpmaster
One jumpmaster watches as you "solo" and demonstrate your skills. Please note that video is mandatory on this level.
Jump 8 - Solo!
Graduation Skydive. Hop-N-Pop. Jump solo your first time!

Scuba diving is relatively sedate :)

Paul in VT

minervamar:
What were you two trying to do that required you to be very close to each other?
Could you please fill us in on the details?

We were working on a macro photograph of a banded shrimp that was out in the open. There was a little current and it was a bit of a tight spot so she was acting as a second set of eyes for me and as my DPV so I wouldn't have to fin to hold position which eliminated the possibility of me contacting the reef. Bonaire is a marine park so coming into contact with the reef is a major no-no.

Yep, I work for a major pharmaceutical company. They all hate that I don't mince words.

Over in NJ, they are introducing legislation to ban smoking in cars!! They say smoking is a major cause in traffic accidents, right up there with cell phones. (banned in cars as well, unless hands free)

C'mon....this is the kind of crap that is out of control. It will invade rec scuba because of irresponsible people looking for quick cash. Insurance will skyrocket, and all the rest of us that do take personal responsibility for ourselves will suffer.

I'd like to think we can cut this off, but it hasn't worked in any other area.

Jack

Dragon2115:
Btw, the other one I love is when people tell about how they bought their wives an SUV because she's a lousy driver and that she's now much safer driving her new tank.

Another thought of the day:

Wouldn't EVERYBODY be safer if they sent her for driving lessons (or take her off the road) instead of putting her on the road in vehicle that she will be more likely to kill anybody she runs into?

Yes, I'm a politically incorrect person and proud of it. :devil_2:

jbliesath:
Yep, I work for a major pharmaceutical company. They all hate that I don't mince words.

Over in NJ, they are introducing legislation to ban smoking in cars!! They say smoking is a major cause in traffic accidents, right up there with cell phones. (banned in cars as well, unless hands free)

C'mon....this is the kind of crap that is out of control. It will invade rec scuba because of irresponsible people looking for quick cash. Insurance will skyrocket, and all the rest of us that do take personal responsibility for ourselves will suffer.

I'd like to think we can cut this off, but it hasn't worked in any other area.

Jack

What we don't want to see is things become so hands off, so lax, so unregulated, that we rec scuba divers become the equivilent of jet skiiers. Take a look at what cruise ship divers do to reefs. Sinful! Someone has to say to the 70 year old lady that has only 7 dives, no this dive to a 130 ft is not for you.

I have no problem with banning smoking in cars, or just banning smoking period. I would like to see the tobacco industry put out of business because of all the sickness and death they've caused. Yes, I WAS a smoker 20 years ago. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom