Blue Hole Feb 16th~17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know what we are planniing for tonight. We did 2 dives today and only have 1 tank each left till Stella is in tomorrow. I think we might save them for Sat. early but if you two are doing a night dive we will a least go over there. Let me know what time you are going to be there Sean should be here at 5:30 or 6:00 just about the same time you all should be down here. I will check the board again in a little while.

Thanks Guys for the warm welcome!

I am impressed with the hospitality I find whenever I run into a group of SB'ers in my travels.

I had a great time albeit much shorter than I would have wished. Unfortunately I only had time for one dive.

Rick,

Thanks for buddying up with me & have a great time in Bonaire!! I am envious....

Thanks again!!

Steve

Although I can't speak for everybody, I had a great time on Sunday!! The weather was much better than the previous days. Most of the remaining RMO group did two dives, Jason and I did a third which was "very" peaceful since we were the only ones in the water at the time!

These get togethers are just a blast!!

Nice to meet the new faces and to say hello to old friends!

Tom/Sean - those new BP/W are looking VERY nice!!

Thanks Kevin! I was very happy with the way my BP/W worked out.
It was fun seeing everyone again. Sorry we left so early. The drive back was a bit rough. We went through blizzard after blizzard, but Tom and Angie, and Ashley and I made it back alright.
One of these days we'll get in some good dives with everyone.

Sean

To do a brief summary, Rick and I arrived around 4:30pm on Friday. I contacted Stella, and was able to get her to meet us at 5:30pm so we could pick up a couple full tanks.

Tom hooked up with as just before Stella arrived with a couple of tanks to be filled. Rick and I did a night dive. It was his first Drysuit dive, and I don't think the added task loading of a night dive made it easy.

We hooked up with Tom, Angie, Sean, and Ash, and had a good meal at the Lake City Diner. We woke up to snow! It was cold, breezy, and snowing, but we met around 9:00am and did a dive together.

We were feeling a bit lazy, so we just hung out, had lunch, did an afternoon dive and called it a day.

Sunday Kevin, Jason, and a few others (sorry the names are escaping me) arrived, and we dove as a rather large group. I somehow failed to hook up my drysuit inflater (for the second time in maybe four months! :shakehead:) so I was a bit slow going down.

I did nor realize what a large motley crew we had diving with us until I looked down and saw what looked like an OW sized class all hanging out at the bottom! Fortunately everyone was doing a good job of keeping out of the silt, and the vis was pretty good.

We opted for a second dive before lunch. I took Kevin up on his offer to do doubles again, and I was launching my SS on most dives as well. It's amazing how this simple skill really takes some work. I'm getting better with practice, but I launched one sausage into a large rock overhead! :rofl3:

Lunch was great! Burgers, Brats, chips, bre, and good friends!

We hung out until around 3:00pm giving us some extra time to off-gas before having to do some altitude gains heading to Las Vegas, and over the pass.

I spent a lot of time talking with Stella. Her Hot Dog stand shack is in place, leveled, and they are getting it in shape for her to move. This place is tiny, so there will be not enough room to join her inside, or get warm, or meet to do logs for OW classes and such.

She plans to be in there around April time frame, maybe sooner. She indicated that the construction of the new Shop would run about 18 months. Santa Rosa time is kinda like Doggy years, so who knows how long the construction will truly last. The new LDS will require divers to go through the shop in order to get to the Hole. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it offers more security, a check-point to ensure divers are paying, and some other benefits which will keep vandalism to a minimum, and help with maintenance. However it meas that one must haul a large amount of gear through a building, and I'm not sure about stuff like grills, coolers, and such.

It would be nice if we could see some current construction blueprints.

I think they would be better off having a gate check as folks enter via their cars, but Santa Rosa seems dead set on the idea of parading everyone through a building. It's hardly a new concept, and a proven model, but for those of us who dive out of our cars and trucks, it's going to be a very radical change, and will also involve a lot more work hauling gear, chairs, coolers, tarps...

Since I've now hijacked my own post, I'll end it by saying, it was gret to see Tom and Sean again, meeting their lovely wives (who BOTH DIVE), and diving with the ABQ crew is always a blast! Good Friends, and Solid divers make for a great experience every time I go down!

Definitely a great time. By my memory (and sorry if I miss anyone), we had: Steve, Ron, Rick, Kevin, Tom, Sean, Ashley, Angie, Karl, Mattais, and me. And we also saw Ken, Melinda, Russ and Kim too! Not bad for a mid-Feb get together. As always, it was great seeing and diving with everyone.

It was fun to see you all again. As always, one of these times I will wait on Sun. to dive with the ABQ folks. I am going to try to attach a couple of photos of Sat. Should have taken the camera out on Sun. to show how nice it can be when the sun is out in the winter.

Attachments

• Rick ready to gear up.jpg
    Rick ready to gear up.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Ron ready to gear up.jpg
    Ron ready to gear up.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Are we having fun yet.jpg
    Are we having fun yet.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 62
It was fun to see you all again. As always, one of these times I will wait on Sun. to dive with the ABQ folks. I am going to try to attach a couple of photos of Sat. Should have taken the camera out on Sun. to show how nice it can be when the sun is out in the winter.

Now I have mixed feelings. Before seeing the pictures, I was depressed I did not get to go. After seeing the pictures, well at least I was warm. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom