Blue Hole day trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wondering if any dive operators will take you to the Blue Hole area and let you do your 3 dives around the area but not in the Blue Hole.

I'll probably be staying on Caye Caulker, but not totally committed to that yet.

I used to do that occasionally, but I found difficulty filling the boat. The BH is the draw. I think it most unlikely you'll find such a trip, but if you do please post it here.

That applies to the regular operators. You might perhaps try one of the operators that normally only does local dives, such as (on Ambergris Caye) Island Divers. Or perhaps Ecologic Divers, also on Ambergris Caye. I think it pretty unlikely you'll find anyone on Caye Caulker prepared to run such a trip.

Is the Blue Hole part of Lighthouse Reef?

I don't have any desire to do the Blue Hole, but I've heard the diving in the area of it is good.

Maybe I just need to do a day trip of 3 dives to Lighthouse Reef.

Maybe I just need to do a day trip of 3 dives to Lighthouse Reef.
yes, the BH is out at Lighthouse. But what Peter just said is, since most people do want to do the BH, trips that go out there and do 3 other dives (skipping the BH) are rare to non-existent. Not what sells enough places to run a boat out there - it's a long trip, lots of fuel. Unfortunate but that's the way it is.

Dive centers on Caye Caulker have 3 dives at Lighthouse Reef on offer. is that good diving?

Lighthouse is as good as it gets in Belize. But the sites offering three dives there most likely will do one at the Blue Hole.
If you want really good diving but don't want the Blue Hole, do Turneffe. The Elbow offers three good dives in a day. All reef dives. It's not near as far and is a smooth ride. You hop over the reef down hear Belize City and you're in the lee of Turneffe all the way to the south tip. Even on rough tradewind days, it's a pretty smooth ride.

I've sent an email inquiry to Belize Diving Services about their 3 day dive packages.
They have Lighthouse and Blue Hole listed separately, so will see what their answer is regarding what dive sites each would include.

Turneffe Elbow is definitely going to be one of my dive days :)

I only have 3 dive days.

An option you may have considered already is to do the trip and just sit out the BH dive. I've been there three times, and there were always a few divers who either stayed on the boat or went snorkeling while the rest of the group did the Hole.

Some divers skipped it because they were nervous about going that deep, and others skipped it because they'd done it before and didn't think it was worth getting wet again.

If you can work it out so you don't have to go to the BH obviously that's your best option but otherwise it's still well worth the trip to see Lighthouse Caye--especially if you're a boobies man :cool2:--and dive the area. Lighthouse Caye is a true jewel and not to be missed if at all possible.

In my humble opinion.

It makes it pretty expensive for just two dives though.

I just don't want to waste a dive on the BH if there are better dives around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom