Blue Hole day trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just realised that there are some inescapable extras not included in the BDS price. First is general sales tax of 12.5%. Second is the park fee (a tax) that must be paid at Half Moon Caye - US$30 for visiting the Blue Hole and US$10 for landing on HMC. They push the price up to about US$180, compared with $200-$250 from Ambergris Caye with an hour's more sailing (and fuel). So not so unbelievably cheap after all.

Pretty cheap if you don't go to the BH though - US$150.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even look at that fine print. Tax alone puts it up to $140.

$15 Lighthouse Marine Park Fee? Or $10 Half Moon Caye Fee?

Sheez! Why don't they just quote a total price!

You have to get on a trip to the outer atolls - whether you do the Blue Hole or not. The diving is quite a bit better than the local boat dives off San Pedro. I'm sure you already know that from other threads posted on here but I can't help myself from repeating it.:D

What I've got in mind so far is a 3 dive day trip to Turneffe Elbow and a 3 dive day trip to Lighthouse Reef. My 3rd day of diving is up in the air. I'll most likely be staying on Caye Caulker.

If we had not left the Blue Hole till the last day we would have gone on another long day trip. You are spot on with the planning. I might even do a live aboard next time.

$15 Lighthouse Marine Park Fee? Or $10 Half Moon Caye Fee?

It's $30 for the BH itself, plus $10 for HMC. Total of $40.

Why don't businesses quote the full price? Marketing - hook you with a low price, then load it. Lots of businesses here do it, not just BDS, and indeed many businesses in other countries. It's not universal practice though - you will find some that offer more straightforward pricing.

Is it just cost that will determine whether you dive the BH? What about considerations more directly to do with the dive itself? When I'm asked if people should dive it I always say "maybe", not yes or no. I'll elaborate if you want me to.

Is it just cost that will determine whether you dive the BH?

Not at all. I only have 9-10 dives to get done in 3 days. I just don't feel any burning desire to spend one of those dives on the BH.

What are you thinking?

Nothing in particular. Many people are rather afraid of the dive and I wanted to check whether that might be the case with you. I've done the dive many times and have also dived the BH as a technical dive, sometimes all the way to the bottom. To me it doesn't make a particularly good "quasi-recreational" dive, but nonetheless it's quite cool to do - once.

Diving the Blue Hole seemed a lot less risky than riding my motorcycle.

So, I'm looking at approx $55/dive for the dives further out. Less for the dives closer in. Accommodation will be cheap as chips. Airfare is $450.

This sounds like a good dive value quick getaway trip.

Back
Top Bottom