Blue Hole day trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether they are "better" is a totally personal decision. The BH dive is unique, and most people who make it are glad they did - at least once.

The Blue Hole dive was more interesting than I expected but I doubt I'd want to do it again. The second two dives I would gladly repeat twice a day every day, especially the Aquarium.

I will be making my first trip to Ambergris next month, and still undecided about diving BH............

I just don't see myself spending the money to drop into a hole and look at stalactites.
I enjoy diving more for the critters & creatures and reefscapes.

Tejasdiver, I'm looking to do my first trip to Belize in May. Not 100% decided yet, but probably will do it.

Belize Diving Services just responded to my email.
They offer 3 dives on Lighthouse Atoll without diving the BH. 2 dives at Half Moon Caye and 1 dive at Long Caye. $125 for 3 dives sounds like pretty good dive value.

There were some black tips close to us at the stalactites but being beginners my wife and I kept our attention on the DM almost exclusively. The max depth of our dive was 141' which was reached when we followed the DM through a few of the stalactites. I imagine the dive presented more thrill factor for us than more experienced divers.

The worst part of the trip was getting there in rough sea but then again we are not experienced and others might have considered it not that bad. I had these sea band things on each wrist which, together with Trader Joe's Ginger Chews, kept me from joining one or two others at the stern. Someone needs to put floats on a Chinook and fly trips out of San Pedro to save the 3 hour boat ride.

If I ever return to Belize, I'll choose to do the same trip again because of the second two dives...... But I'll still do the Blue Hole dive because the boat will stop right on it.

Belize Diving Services just responded to my email.
They offer 3 dives on Lighthouse Atoll without diving the BH. 2 dives at Half Moon Caye and 1 dive at Long Caye. $125 for 3 dives sounds like pretty good dive value.

Sounds like an incredible deal. Check what size of boat and how fast, although if the weather and sea conditions are good it might not matter so much. $125 sounds really cheap. I think we paid about $240 (including the large park fee) with Aqua Scuba on their large and fast boat.

Placencia Belize offers good diving especially during Whale Shark season which occur each spring between Full and 1/4 moon. The best months are definitely April and May, particularily the later. June and March are frequently advertised as Whale Shark months then but then there are no sightings then, especially in March.

Last year I saw my first whale shark. What a treat! I went out with Avadon Divers. In my opinion they are top notch and the best dive operation in that area.

Sounds like an incredible deal ..... $125 sounds really cheap

I find that figure very hard to believe. BDS are on Caye Caulker, which is about 1/2 hour closer to Lighthouse, but even so. But I've just gone to their website and the price is correct.

AFAIK they don't have a big covered boat, but I could be out of date.

When diving the Blue Hole, usually the first dive is the Blue Hole due to being a very deep dive.
The following dives (usually 2) are at different dive sites in the area. I have not done this trip from Caye Caulker, just from Placencia with Avadon Divers, who were great - very capable and safe.

Back
Top Bottom