Blue Hole - Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayal

Contributor
Reaction score
My round-the-world trip is taking me to Belize and I have heard the Blue Hole is one of the must-dive sites in the world. It looks amazing but from what (little) I have read there isn't too much to see unless you go real deep (that I am not willing to do) and that the main attraction is the cave system and stalactites.

Marine life doesn't seem to be abundant.

Is my information wrong? I would love to do it, but I prefer to see the marine life rather than caves (I'm not a cave diver and not interested in it). The cost for the blue hole is a lot higher than a normal dive (based on the options I have) so if there is not a whole lot of marine life is it worth doing?

You should get 3 dives plus lunch on the blue hole trip. That seems to be the norm based on my (admittedly limited) research. The location is way out so you are out for the day. I didn't get to do this on my recent trip to Belize, thank you Tropical Storm Barry but if I had I was going to snorkel the blue hole and then dive the second and third stops which are supposed to be amazing dives.

Blue hole dive you have to go down to 130-140 feet to see the stalactites.

Yeah, I read you have to go pretty far down to see them and I'm not willing to go beyond my advanced diver limit (even though I should be a divemaster cert by then but still not deep diver cert).

If there isn't much marine life I don't think I'll dive there. I might try snorkelling if I get the option though.

... I would love to do it, but I prefer to see the marine life rather than caves (I'm not a cave diver and not interested in it). The cost for the blue hole is a lot higher than a normal dive (based on the options I have) so if there is not a whole lot of marine life is it worth doing?

I did it. I liked it. I'm in the minority. Don't know if I would do it again. Not worth the money if you want to see marine life, however, the sites after the BH are definitely worth it if they dive around there.

...and I have heard the Blue Hole is one of the must-dive sites in the world....
It's a bucket list dive at best. (Been there, done that, enjoyed it, but wouldn't do it again.) The amazing part of the trip is the other two dives for the day. The marine park is spectacular.

I agree with the others who enjoyed the other two dives, but I would do this one dive again in a heartbeat.

Plus, if you take the trip, you will probably get to see lots of Boobies!

LOL!

I am glad I am not alone in thinking it might be best to do some other dives.

Thanks for the advice :)

My round-the-world trip is taking me to Belize and I have heard the Blue Hole is one of the must-dive sites in the world. It looks amazing but from what (little) I have read there isn't too much to see unless you go real deep (that I am not willing to do) and that the main attraction is the cave system and stalactites.

Marine life doesn't seem to be abundant.

Is my information wrong? I would love to do it, but I prefer to see the marine life rather than caves (I'm not a cave diver and not interested in it). The cost for the blue hole is a lot higher than a normal dive (based on the options I have) so if there is not a whole lot of marine life is it worth doing?

Im doing this dive in a couple of weeks. The stalactites are at about 120 feet which are very cool. The entire hole is 400 feet which is unreachable unless you are a serious trimix diver (or you have a nice rusty anchor and some line :p ). The Blue Hole itself is said to have pelagics like reef sharks cruising around too. There are a plethora of Blue Videos on Youtube. Just about every dive publication can agree that its one of the places you "must dive before you die."

I've done the BH three times and will definitely do it again.

Small disclaimer: all three times were from Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort, so the trip was considerably shorter than it will be from Ambergris Caye. I'm not sure that makes any difference but wanted to get it out there.

The BH is a unique dive. Forget those gorgeous arial photos of that big dark blue spot in the ocean. When you arrive by dive boat, all the water looks the same. You suit up and descend to the lip of the hole at 50 feet. Once the group is set, over the rim you go and fin down till you hit 130. Put on the brakes and look around at the stalactites. If you're lucky, you see some hammerheads and other sharks. After maybe five minutes, it's time to ascend. Then hang out at the rim again and look for more sharks. Then it's up and out. Boing-- a bounce dive.

Then be prepared for the boat ride of your life to Lighthouse Caye. The lime green water is fantastic. What's up with that wreck on the reef? Hang out at the caye, then dive the area. Lunch followed by an SI on Lighthouse--check out those boobies--then dive the area. Probably two of the best dives of your life since you're into marine life. Then head home.

Worth it? If it were just the BH, then no. But your day will be so much, much more than that. The ride along the reef, Lighthouse Caye, two more fantastic dives, the feeling that you're at the end of the world. Worth it? Absolutely. To me. YMMV.

Edit: You can snorkel at the BH. I haven't done it, but we always had one or two snorkelers with us who snorkeled while the rest of us did the dive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom