Blue Heron construction - any news?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This project will involve the replacement of all of the concrete pilings and both the east and west retaining walls. Some damage to the ecosystem will be unavoidable as holes will be drilled in the lagoon bed to install the pilings. Larger pilings will replace the existing ones and fewer will be needed. All work will be done from the top of the existing bridge and no barge will be needed.
Phil Rudin
Thanks for the reports. I hate to be the pessimist, but the drilling for the new pilings is going to stir up enormous volumes of silt, sand, and limestone. All of that material is going to be deposited on the floor of the channel, and the visibility in the channel is going to be zero for most of the project.

I don't see any way that those pilings can be installed without completely destroying all of the existing life in that area. I hope I'm wrong. I also hope that the silt doesn't flow over to the western span and destroy that area as well. :shakehead:

The drilling is to reduce the vibration caused by pounding the pilings from the surface which would cause just as much slit. I also think you may underestimate the amount of water that runs in and out of this area with every tide change. I am sure the construction will have an impact but I don't think we will have "zero visibility" during most of the project.

The silt from the drilling will be a drop in the bucket compared to what flows out of the lagoon area during every tide change.

Time will tell.

Phil Rudin

Glad to come across this thread as well... thanks for keeping us posted on the Bridge. This has got to be my favorite spot here so far! :blinking:

Hi all! My brother and I were just talking today about coming down to sunny (hopefully!) Florida probably in the Feb / March time frame to dive the Blue Heron bridge. But then I did a search today and found the construction info. Not being from there I looked at some aerial photos of the area. I can see what looks to be 2 separate bridges- 1 large one on the west side, and a smaller one on the east side. Is the smaller one the bridge being worked on? If so, then I am assuming from what I am reading here that the larger one is OK and can still be dive around during construction? Is it safe to dive around the big one (I can see a boat moving rather fast through there)? Is it just the smaller bridge that has the good marine life, or is the whole area worth seeing? We are thinking of doing a long weekend down there and are hoping that diving the bridge area will keep us occupied for a few days. Thanks for any info you all can offer!

You can dive either bridge. Both are excellent dives. The east (small) span will soon be under construction. When that happens, the east (small) span will be off limits for diving. When diving the west (large) span, stay out of the boat channel.

Walter, thanks for the info. The next question I have is in regards to spring break. We will need to do this in or around the spring break season because I will be bringing my son who will also be on spring break. Is that area affected as much as Fort Lauderdale, or is it semi normal during that time of year?

FunkyDiver--I missed your post. Spring break here doesn't attract the college crowds per se, but you will find that hotels, etc. are more expensive...just that time of year here.

Drive-by update: Went over the bridge today; no sign of any construction, etc. Several divers in the water--looks nice!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom