Blue Heron construction - any news?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waiting on a report from the meeting. . . :popcorn:

Today's public meeting was not a structured forum, but rather, an informal meeting with the engineers of the bridge project, to review their plans and express our concerns.

First of all, this bridge will remain open to vehicular and pedestrian traffic throughout the course of the project, which is expected to take approximately a year and a half. Traffic will be diverted first to the south span while working on the north one, then reversing the process. They have made every effort to minimize the impact on the water surrounding the bridge by restricting all work to the bridge span itself. No barges or equipment on the water. A turbidity barrier will be placed around the bridge to restrict access and contain any debris, of which they expect to be none. Elevation of the bridge will remain the same, with only a six inch rise to the east end of the span, complying with DOT regs to bring the drainage grade to 3%. Currently, this bridge is supported by six pylons for each span, approximately 14" thick. This project calls for four 2'x 2' pylons for each span, to be placed adjacent to the existing ones. At this time, there are no plans to remove the old ones, they can be cut down above the water line and left in place, as existing habitat. The north span will be rebuilt first, they are calling it a "Top Down" rebuild. Basically, a crane will run out from Singer Island to the park, and remove the western most slab. Then, a staging platform, on the western side of the little bridge will be used to create the new slab, and it will be rolled into place. This process will be repeated, until the span is complete. Then, they'll start construction on the southern span, again working west to east.

In addition to this work, retaining walls will need to be built around the eastern side of the park. I believe they said the same for the Singer Island side of the little bridge.

No diving allowed under the bridge. Per contractor guidleines, there is a 150' easement from the center of the bridge, which is approximately 90' wide. But at this point, they stated that diving would not be impacted in the areas adjacent to the bridge.

Another thing is that construction will not impact Phil Foster Park, no materials or equipment will be allowed in the park.

These are there facts as I understand them, reported to the best of my knowledge. If I have misrepresented any of the facts, please let me know so that I may edit this post.

Thanks Joyce and Fishey!

I attended this meeting and have the following thoughts on what was discussed. First let me say that I have been diving the bridge area for over thirty-five years. The Little Blue Heron Bridge was built in 1950 and all who attended this meeting agree that the bridge needs to be replaced. It is becoming unsafe to drivers and divers alike. During the past ten months large chunks of concrete some as large as 2’ X 2’ X 12’ have fallen from the span above the very area used by hundreds of divers each week.

All who attended also were in agreement that this site is one of the most unique dive areas in the state of Florida and that many animals found there can not be found anywhere else that we are aware of.

This project will involve the replacement of all of the concrete pilings and both the east and west retaining walls. Some damage to the ecosystem will be unavoidable as holes will be drilled in the lagoon bed to install the pilings. Larger pilings will replace the existing ones and fewer will be needed. All work will be done from the top of the existing bridge and no barge will be needed.

DOT owns the area 150 feet north and south of the bridge center line so work can only be done in that area. Diving will only be restricted in that 300 foot wide area. Phil Foster Park will remain open and no equipment or construction material will be stored there. The park will continue to run as normal and the entrance will not be blocked.

Diving in any other area around the construction including the high bridge and the sailboat area WILL NOT BE RESTRICTED.

The hight of the bridge will only be raised on the east side by six inches to allow for drainage and we should not expect additional boat traffic when the project is complete.

Work is expected to start at the end of this month and last for over a year.

Phil Rudin

so diving will be alllowed in the park,
but night diving is still not allowed there right

Force E Divers sponsored a night dive event there this evening. This should not change, due to construction. But remember, these are events that have to be approved, you can't just go out on your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom