Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be in FLL 25-30th of December and would like to dive BHB one of these days (26-29 most likely).

I see you need a dive flag. I got me one of these: Torpedo Float @ Divers-Supply.com

Do you drag it along or do you have some way to anchor or? I never had a need to dive with the flag so any suggestions (esp. with pictures) are welcome.

this is all you need
Z8dqUn0ORfEm3wwI_VFZy_jjXYtkM9cpS8PuUu2Q4tJB8yRUYDb3UuJ_HWOiQHe-Z3MUa44vnqnJQmSg64HfRoamLg1E4a5tSk-TP-Oyx7lOPZ7F7ugEiXvjDRuigifVwiuE1tzyTqkp_68pdV6ozAs35J3OUv9LsOfN

yes, you must stay within 100 ft. of the flag. Most people just drag it along on a line. Some will drop it if they are shooting a photo or something, and once in a while somebody doesn't come back soon enough and find it stolen.

Last edited:
Thank you! I got this one SEE0107.jpg

Hope it is ok.

Only one they had in the store at this time.

I'll be in FLL 25-30th of December and would like to dive BHB one of these days (26-29 most likely).

I see you need a dive flag. I got me one of these: Torpedo Float @ Divers-Supply.com

Do you drag it along or do you have some way to anchor or? I never had a need to dive with the flag so any suggestions (esp. with pictures) are welcome.

The torpedo is far superior to the float...when you tow the torpedo, there is no drag when compared to a float flag....
However, there is an Omersub torpedo that has a long and legal dive flag , as well as a place for weights on the bottom, so that it will counter balance the flag and stay upright....You also need to tow the torpedo from a point between the nose and the middle of the bottom--maybe 1/3 back or 1/4 of the way back from the front...this way the nose won't plow if you go to 30 feet or 100 feet on a normal dive, with a longer line.

I hate towing any float, and do this ONLY because I don't want a ticket. I tie off when I get to a place I can stay within 100 feet of....
Regardless of torpedo or flag float, these are of almost zero value in protecting you from ignorant boaters ( hint--there are MANY OF THESE)...on any given weekend, if you were in a place boats frequented, your float could easily be run over.

At the BHB, you tow a float so that you do not have to offer revenue to the local sherrifs, FWC or Marine Patrol...this will have nothing to do with your safety.

In areas off the beach, like the Inlet or off of Breakers, you would need to tow a Kayak with a dive flag on it...Boaters would still often dismiss thinking about the meaning of the flag, but 99% of them would not want to damage their boat with your kayak....

OK. Thank you for the info.

Is anyone shore diving next week in FLL area? (BHB or other) I signed with Meetup on Goldcoast Scuba.

I was winging that ID...upon reflection I'm thinking more along the lines of something similar to a Belted Sandfish. Size fits as it was about 2inches long and seemed more adult then juvenile.

Juv black seabass. They are usually very friendly & love to pose for photos

I also saw the extremely elusive JimW and Diva but this was a shore sighting not water so it doesn't count as a "find".

Lookin forward to a night dive Friday with the Bouyancy Babes! What a holiday gift. :eyebrow:

Looking forward to getting zipped! (And nice to hear JimW and Diva are still around ... been ages, you two!)

Looking forward to getting zipped! (And nice to hear JimW and Diva are still around ... been ages, you two!)

Yes, we are still around. We defnately have the need to get wet! We are back from our dive trips and "up North" trip so very anxious to get back to being trolls. We were out Holiday shopping and doing a "good deed" and couldn't resist a stop at BHB. Will see you all soon.

Juv black seabass. They are usually very friendly & love to pose for photos
Thanks for the ID!

Thank you! I got this one View attachment 111136

Hope it is ok.

Only one they had in the store at this time.

The only concern you may have is snagging the flotation part on some fairly crusty bridge pilings. I would not
yank very hard if it does snag. Shortening the tow flag line when close to the pilings will help avoid this. The most common
flag down here is the simple styrofoam ball and flag. Nothing against the others just hard to beat the simplicity and longevity
of the styrofoam ball style.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom