Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cripes.. I hope it's better tomorrow..

I was just by the ocean on my morning bike ride.....it is "Angry" !
I think we can expect large sand transport along the beach, meaning as it crosses the mouth of the inlet on incoming tide, huge clouds of sand and silt will be funneled in...Tuesday is not likely to be a good bet.
Sorry....

Daaan, we want to dive the bridge!! We are just back from a cruise and got blown out twice there as well! When the viz hits 10, we're goin' dammit! Somebody please let us know when to throw the gear in the car..............

Jenny and I took a chance and drove up today. We had already made plans to dive with Bilsant and didn't want to miss out on that. It paid off: viz was decent (maybe 10-15 ft, up to 20 in some places). Three seahorses including one adorable pair, three (!!!!) stargazers, the very large northern ray, pipefish, large silt-kickin' hermit crab, mutantly large sea cucumbers and (I'm sad to report) a lionfish with spines longer than Jenny's knife.

The purple and yellow flags were flying. We saw a few moon jellies but not enough to be bothersome. I didn't check temp but the water is feeling chilly. I'm wearing my 5mm with a rash guard underneath and was really very cold within 80-90 minutes.

My strobe is giving me trouble so not many pics. Here are the best.
seahorse.jpgstargazer.jpglionfish.jpg

Well let's start out with anyone finding an Aqua Lung Quartz 2 mask with my prescription inserts glued to the faceplate (so it's not much use to anyone else), let me know. There of course is a reward...

Now as to today's dive: JimW, I also have enjoyed a dive with the buoyancy babes. J&J took me under their respective wings and we toured together with some pretty nice viz...

In addition to the usual suspects, the count was 3 seahorses, 3 stargazers, 2 flying gurnards (a really big one), a tiny southern ray and a huge southern ray...

I also was greatly entertained by Jenny displaying her Benihana table skills with two dive knives and an uncooperative lionfish...who lived to fight another day.

It was nice to see an old friend (J) and make a new friend (J). The diver caught between these two is lucky indeed...and in colder water - 74 but it felt colder - the offer of hot cocoa upon egress was the perfect touch.

My camera battery spazzed in the first half hour of the dive, but I did get a few hurried shots.

PICT0057.jpgPICT0065.jpgPICT0068.jpgPICT0083.jpgPICT0084.jpg

Well let's start out with anyone finding an Aqua Lung Quartz 2 mask with my prescription inserts glued to the faceplate (so it's not much use to anyone else), let me know. There of course is a reward...

Now as to today's dive: JimW, I also have enjoyed a dive with the buoyancy babes. J&J took me under their respective wings and we toured together with some pretty nice viz...

In addition to the usual suspects, the count was 3 seahorses, 3 stargazers, 2 flying gurnards (a really big one), a tiny southern ray and a huge southern ray...

I also was greatly entertained by Jenny displaying her Benihana table skills with two dive knives and an uncooperative lionfish...who lived to fight another day.

It was nice to see an old friend (J) and make a new friend (J). The diver caught between these two is lucky indeed...and in colder water - 74 but it felt colder - the offer of hot cocoa upon egress was the perfect touch.

My camera battery spazzed in the first half hour of the dive, but I did get a few hurried shots.

View attachment 109881View attachment 109882View attachment 109883View attachment 109884View attachment 109885
I think I'm liking this. (still trying to process "Buoynancy babes") But I can so see Jenny doing the Ginsu thing. :)

Oh..I meant "J" doing her Ginsu thing. (Gotta love the "J's") Our Chamber of Commerce does.

It's all good. Pleasantly surprised by the vis. Glad we took the chance going up there. Checked out the water and yep, from the fishing bridge you could count the bumps on the starfish! Sweet!
The biggest thing I have to remember about the bridge is to not have any expectations. So my disappointment in not seeing more seahorses is wrongly placed. Still, seeing 3 was a treat. We were the first in the water, but by the time we got to the pair of seahorses (I think a new couple, I've only seen one there in the past), a couple of other divers had mucked it up pretty good. In their defense there is a deep silt layer, so it doesn't take much to kill the vis. We ambled on, looking for Stumpy, never finding him. We did find those stargazers. Bilsant is excellent at upending critters. Why, I dunno, but we saw lots because of him! :wink:
Warm drinks afterwards was the perfect ending to a beautiful dive. Thanks B and J!

I think I'm liking this. (still trying to process "Buoynancy babes") But I can so see Jenny doing the Ginsu thing. :)

If you ask Jet you might get an answer about "Bouyancy Babes" but somehow it does seem to fit doesn't it?:eek:ctopus:

nevermind, read your comment all wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom