Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad to report quarry-level viz still persists as of this morning. 1-2 ft. max with lots of particulate in the water. Weird stringy white schmutz (sorry to be so scientific) that bounces off your light making even the brightest of beams almost worthless. Water temp 73-74.

seastar.jpg jenny.jpg

We also saw a couple of these along the shoreline. Some sort of jelly?
jelly.jpg

I'm sad to report quarry-level viz still persists as of this morning. 1-2 ft. max with lots of particulate in the water. Weird stringy white schmutz (sorry to be so scientific) that bounces off your light making even the brightest of beams almost worthless. Water temp 73-74.

View attachment 107824 View attachment 107823

View attachment 107825
Sorry to hear it was not better...Maybe when it is this bad in the 200 yards from shore area where longshore drift of beach sand is being transported...the low tide may actually be better....it looked like about 5 to 6 foot viz yesterday afternoon at low tide...Not that I would enjoy this, but I know macro fanatics that don't know any better ( like Sandra :) )

Would have LOVED 5-6ft vis today. Was initially optimistic that we would get that. Tide was very high, washing over the exposed bridge pilings at the beach areas, where divers usually stand to don and doff gear. Our hopes of vis faded as we started to push off from the cement area and we could not see our fins. Today's lesson was to stay above 10' and let the ambient light assist and survey the actual bridge instead of the rubble which is a great area for face plants. The fish are hiding. We were lucky to see a batfish of good size, but he wanted nothing to do with us and at arms length away, my LED light barely illuminated it. The cushion star was much more willing. :rofl3:

I'd love to try BHB but I don't have a dive buddy :( my only free weekend is that of thanksgiving weekend. the water should have calmed down some since TS Sean will no longer be in the area. So I'm looking for someone to dive with

High tide Thanksgiving weekend is early morning.. I may be in town, not sure yet...

Speaking of which.. were there any further discussions on having a get together, meet n greet type event on Saturday after Thanksgiving? Dive early, then hang out drinking hot chocolate induced mur?

View attachment 107824 View attachment 107823

View attachment 107825

Looks like a sea walnut or if it had some dark spots it might be a spot-winged comb jelly.
I may need to quarry dive as it has been over a week without compressed air!! :banghead:

BTW that white stringy stuff is called whale snot :eyebrow:

High tide Thanksgiving weekend is early morning.. I may be in town, not sure yet...

Speaking of which.. were there any further discussions on having a get together, meet n greet type event on Saturday after Thanksgiving? Dive early, then hang out drinking hot chocolate induced mur?

We plan to show up, if the weather and viz cooperate. So, if you show up as well, we already have a party!! I volunteer to go early early to try to get a shelter......................dependent on WX and VIZ!! Hi tide is 8:45am.

Walter said he is not available to man the friers. And Jim (cooltech) won't be around. His daughter is getting married. Is somebody leading the charge? I've attended most of them, and only dived one because of my schedule. Now that I'm a single Dad, my schedule is more iffy. I'll likely show up non the less. As I said before..like the Zombies at the mall in Ramero's Dawn of the Living Dead.

The viz was much improved just south of vista park. 20-25 in some spots and dropped off a bit
toward the back edge of the first reef and of course coming in over shallower sand. On top of reef
in 14-16 ft it was very acceptable. Water temp was 78F and holding and the water was a shade of
blue. Fantastic seas, very flat and topside air temps were perfect, a good dive.

We don't HAVE to fry turkeys, though it would be nice. Would be good to get something going though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom