Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a "short" (80 min) dive with my out of town guest today. Viz was maybe two feet. Within 2 ft you could make eye contact with your buddy. Beyond that, a fuzzy blob, and at around 4 ft, gone. So a little better, but not much, since Monday's pea soup dive with Jenny. We saw a couple octopi, two jawfish, several crabs, banded shrimp, a pretty juvenile angel and lots of upside jellies. My guest was happy.

There is a lot of particulate in the water and everything is covered with a thick layer of silt. Everything. Even the shopping carts. So no photos. It was good navigation practice. Did I mention no photos?

At the end I was dubbed a "Texas Swamp Diver." Having never dived in a Texas swamp I'm not sure if this is a badge of honor or badge of shame. But at least it gives you an idea of the conditions.

Bilsant - if your friends are local I would wait for a better day. Our beloved little BHB is nothing to brag about this week.

Better conditions on the second reef at hibiscus than up at the bridge. After getting about 25 ft viz on the inside
edge of second reef at LBTS I thought I would make the drive up for a bridge dive. Viz was not good at all, it was a
low viz dive all the way. I did see a couple brown eels, a couple sharptail eels and I think I saw the same crab jet saw
a few days back, under a small concrete slab laying along the east side of the wall, it was exciting !
Cruised the wall, explored the channel fence pilings, and by some miracle was able to get back to the beach.
Sixty minutes in three foot of viz I guess when you need a dive you do what you gotta do !

Thanks Jet. We'll discuss it tomorrow before we launch...

darn...I'm so jonesin' a dive...and looks like beach conditions tomorrow are a blowout too....

Everything blown out and 10' seas. This weekend, I wish I was in cave country!! We are having "diving withdrawal" without our weekly outing! I am still too spoiled do dive in 5' vis, though, so I guess it is my own fault :).

OK...I confess. The other divers wanted to go, so in spite of all warnings and advice to the contrary, I went today...and called the dive 5 minutes into it. Maybe 2' viz max? My log entry shows pressure in = 3500; pressure out = 3495.

I don't ever see me getting away from diving, but it's time to find a "backup" hobby.

definitely riding the short bus home tonite...

I got in two today, a pretty nice reef dive at LBTS on the inside edge of second reef and
yes I tried the bridge again and did 30 minutes in 3 ft max viz. Down at LBTS the water is
trying to turn blue again and viz is working its' way up to 30 ft. A bit more surge today than
yesterday maybe a 2-3 ft surge east and west. As long as you stayed up away from the reef
a bit it was completely manageable, a pretty decent dive. The surf was moderate when I went
out but kicked up a bit when getting out. I'm beginning to understand the lower viz at the bridge
with the rough seas stirring up the water outside the inlet as it's rushing in, makes sense. Not
a bad week on the reefs but a total washout at the bridge !

Jenny and I are tentatively scheduled for Thursday morning. But neither of us want to get up at the crack of dawn, drive up from Hollywood and then have to bail. I'm not feeling optimistic ... too much wind still kicking things up. If anyone tries between now and then, please post. Thanks.

Jenny and I are tentatively scheduled for Thursday morning. But neither of us want to get up at the crack of dawn, drive up from Hollywood and then have to bail. I'm not feeling optimistic ... too much wind still kicking things up. If anyone tries between now and then, please post. Thanks.
I am by the ocean pretty much every day...today it is pure silt and sand, transporting along the eroding beach....this will be pushed into the BHB area with each incoming tide....Once the ocean settles down, and the sand transport stops, maybe 24 hours later the silt will be out of suspension enough for the BHB to be good again....

For Thursday and a 7:41 high tide, you will have to go with Wednesday water --- PM me as I will be on Singer Island Wednesday afternoon.

As of morning bike ride along A1A, the ocean is much better---blue water out about 400 yards, close to shore it is getting better but still kind of murky.....BHB may well be ok thursday.
I will try to look in the water at BHB tonight after a meeting I have nearby.

Sounding better.. I need to get wet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom