Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sennets I have known look like a small Barracuda and may be in the same family. They don't get more that a couple pounds, I think.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 05:01 PM ----------

Octo from Sundays dive. Wife got this pic. By no means are we good photographers but we thought this was good for us. This is from her iphone with a watershot housing and watershot lighting. Also trying to see if the pic will post correctly.

Had to ask what these skinny guys were. Anybody else know off hand? Hint - they ain't anchovies nor herring. . .

View attachment 185827

just a lurker on this thread(and 1st post) having dove BHB only once years ago. having said that, I believe those are GUAGUANCHE and not southern sennet(I observe southern sennet occasionally while freediving on patch reefs and the surrounding sandy/grass areas, their primary habitat according to reef fish ID) ,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

We went today--lots of folks in the parking lot as most boats cancelled due to 5-7 ft seas. We saw lots of familiar faces and lots of critters. Viz on the west side was about 10-15ft, sometimes a little better; but it was pretty easy to lose one another! Water temp on my Suunto 81. Nice to see Ed from Melbourne Beach and Brendapon and family from TN-their young son doing cert dives.

We saw a great looking Neck Crab and a Mantis Shrimp in 4 ft of water where some wade around--possible big ouch!! Lots of octos all over the west including some right off the beach in 6 or 7 ft of water!!

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

just a lurker on this thread(and 1st post) having dove BHB only once years ago. having said that, I believe those are GUAGUANCHE and not southern sennet(I observe southern sennet occasionally while freediving on patch reefs and the surrounding sandy/grass areas, their primary habitat according to reef fish ID) ,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Could be, What do you think Kevin? Thanks Reefman!

The Sennets I have known look like a small Barracuda and may be in the same family. They don't get more that a couple pounds, I think.

These guys were only six or seven inches long, IIRC. Same Genus, even, I think.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 10:52 PM ----------

reefman
key largo

Ross's quote was:

"Sphyraena borealis...the pelvic fins are well behind the pectorals..."

And, I have orders to get shots with the fins spread. :D I, myself, haven't a clue. I figgered they were some kind of herring, being small, shiny, and schooling.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 11:01 PM ----------

We saw a great looking Neck Crab

So, are the "decorator crabs" at the bridge considered "neck crabs"?

Last edited:
Pair

Had forgotten about this pair from a couple of weeks ago. . .

IMG_4693wa near escape.jpg

The boxy is upside down.

So, are the "decorator crabs" at the bridge considered "neck crabs"?

The bible sez it is so! Reef Critters ID P137 of the new edition. Could also be known as no neck or almostnobody crab. In the older edition, this was the only close choice--might be more possibilities in the new edition......I have taken the decorator name to be generic for all crabs who dress up! The last 2 dives on the west side, I've seen a small crab with bright blue legs and accents--looked it up just now and it seems to be the rather undramatic Flatface Swimming Crab--that name doesn't do it justice. We are going again today!

Had to ask what these skinny guys were. Anybody else know off hand? Hint - they ain't anchovies nor herring. . .

View attachment 185827

Sennet, or Guaguanche ...

For comparison, here's a school of full-grown Sennet, circling around me. And no, not at the bridge; took these a couple of years ago, Arashi Reef, Aruba ...

Aruba 1 - 8-10 102.jpgAruba 1 - 8-10 103.jpgAruba 1 - 8-10 104.jpg

:wink:
Sennet, or Guaguanche ...

For comparison, here's a school of full-grown Sennet, circling around me. And no, not at the bridge; took these a couple of years ago, Arashi Reef, Aruba ...

View attachment 185883View attachment 185884View attachment 185885

Here's some Southern Sennet/Guaguanche from May 22nd at the bridge! And a REALLY bright blue crab from June 2nd with the rather unattractive name of Flatface Swimming Crab!

IMG_5144.jpgIMG_5217.jpgIMG_5274.jpgIMG_5276.jpgand 2 pics of the same little filefish 30 seconds apart with color and texture changed to match the surroundings! My best guess is that I shot some Guaguanche. Here is the same pic enlarged quite a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_5144-001.jpg
    IMG_5144-001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 125
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom