Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
starting some time last year, I began to see one on every 4th or 5th dive. Sometimes I'd see them several dives in a row, then go 12 dives and not see any. I've been doing more boat dives lately and not many at BHB, but I'd guess I see a couple most months on average assuming about 4 bridge dives per month.

I've only seen two or three in the ocean and away from BHB.

Thanks for that info. Have you ever seen them out of their holes for any length of time? My only other sighting lasted about two seconds - and he was only filling the top of his hole, not "out" at all.

I've seen mantis shrimp a number of times at the bridge, but never out of their homes. Very interesting!!:cool2:

I have been so busy with students that I haven't been taking pictures recently but was out doing a photo class (finally) and managed to get this nice shot at the upside down wreck. Glad I can still manage the occasional photo.

Blue Heron Bridge Queen Angel.jpg

Diving the bridge for fun Monday :D

Thanks for that info. Have you ever seen them out of their holes for any length of time? My only other sighting lasted about two seconds - and he was only filling the top of his hole, not "out" at all.

I've only see them out of their holes a couple of times: but they moved so fast I really did not get a good look(s): I am not completely sure they were not some other type of shrimp that looks similar to the mantis. I usually see them barely poking out of the top of their holes.

On night dives/low vis dives you can occasionally see them scurrying about. They are really quick to run away though!

View attachment 100917
Oops. I *have* been wondering what that blue stuff is on the urchin.
I've noticed it before also, and looked it up. The electric blue spots are pigment cups for body eyespots. Diadema and Astropyga are both known for this in the Caribbean, your critter looks kinda like a Diadema.

Great dive at the bridge today...water warm at 86 and fair viz. Lots of moon and comb jellies in the water. Saw a bunch of octopus and sea robins today.

Blue Heron Bridge Combjelly.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Moon Jelly.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Tangle of Arms.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Jawfish.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Waiting for lunch.jpg

Also got to meet blackvans1234 and show him round the west side of the bridge.

Great dive at the bridge today...water warm at 86 and fair viz. Lots of moon and comb jellies in the water. Saw a bunch of octopus and sea robins today.

View attachment 101238 View attachment 101239 View attachment 101240 View attachment 101241 View attachment 101244

Also got to meet blackvans1234 and show him round the west side of the bridge.

It was a great time! My personal dive style is slow and steady, so diving with a photographer was good.

I hope to meet up with you in the future jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom