Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday the 31st

IMG_6288wa.jpgIMG_6292wa.jpgIMG_6295wa.jpgIMG_6352wa.jpgIMG_6329wa.jpgIMG_6323wa.jpgIMG_6309wa.jpgIMG_6308wa.jpgIMG_6303wa.jpgIMG_6297wa.jpgIMG_6388wa.jpgIMG_6384wa.jpgIMG_6372wa.jpgIMG_6369wa.jpgIMG_6357wa.jpg

There was an infestation of eight inch scrawled filefish that Sunday out off the beach. Got all excited when I spotted a mantis of some sort in a hole on the way back from the west end, but he wouldn't come back out of his hole after I tried a couple of shots. But, as I was giving up on him, I spotted his uncle a little to the east. Film at 11.

Kevin

Got all excited when I spotted a mantis of some sort in a hole on the way back from the west end, but he wouldn't come back out of his hole after I tried a couple of shots. But, as I was giving up on him, I spotted his uncle a little to the east. Film at 11.

I'd be curious to know from the long-time regulars at the bridge, how often do you run across a Scaly-tailed Mantis Shrimp at the bridge - or anywhere else? And, when you *have* run across them, is it common to have them allow you to photograph them? TIA

Kevin

Wow! Thanks for posting. What camera, lens and strobe are you using?

View attachment 101002View attachment 101003View attachment 101004View attachment 101005View attachment 101006View attachment 101007View attachment 101008View attachment 101009View attachment 101010View attachment 101011View attachment 101012View attachment 101013View attachment 101014View attachment 101015View attachment 101016

There was an infestation of eight inch scrawled filefish that Sunday out off the beach. Got all excited when I spotted a mantis of some sort in a hole on the way back from the west end, but he wouldn't come back out of his hole after I tried a couple of shots. But, as I was giving up on him, I spotted his uncle a little to the east. Film at 11.

Kevin

Wow! Thanks for posting. What camera, lens and strobe are you using?

Yer welcome.:D Digital Rebel, 60mm macro lens with a +4 diopter, and sometimes a Woody's "wet" diopter. Anybody know what "number" a Woody's is? My guess would be +1 or +2. Not a lot, regardless, but it *does* help to remove it when ya can't get close enough, otherwise. Oh, and two DS-125 strobes.

LOST MUCK STICK
I lost my muck stick (can you say needle in a hay stack) today somewhere between the west shower picnic table to the sailboats straight off shore. nothing exciting about it silver ~16 inches long has a keyring at the end (you know those round things that are a challenge to slip your keys onto). Anyway if anyone finds it PM me as it would be nice to have it back esp with full moon currents out there.
Thank You
Deb

Scaly-Tailed Mantis excavation project

I'd be curious to know from the long-time regulars at the bridge, how often do you run across a Scaly-tailed Mantis Shrimp at the bridge - or anywhere else? And, when you *have* run across them, is it common to have them allow you to photograph them? TIA

Scaly-tailed Mantis Shrimp excavation project - YouTube
Scaly-Tailed Mantis (Lysiosquilla scabricauda) - a set on Flickr

IMG_6395wa.jpgIMG_6403wa.jpgIMG_6440wa.jpgIMG_6445wca.jpgIMG_6520wa.jpg

Fell in love with this guy.

Kevin

Yer welcome.:D Digital Rebel, 60mm macro lens with a +4 diopter, and sometimes a Woody's "wet" diopter. Anybody know what "number" a Woody's is? My guess would be +1 or +2. Not a lot, regardless, but it *does* help to remove it when ya can't get close enough, otherwise. Oh, and two DS-125 strobes.

Crap. Was hoping you would say a "joe's point and shoot". Awesome pics. I'm looking for a new camera.

Crap. Was hoping you would say a "joe's point and shoot". Awesome pics. I'm looking for a new camera.

I've seen plenty of amazing stuff shot with something like "joe's" - especially with the more recent versions of "joe's".

I'm thinking that having the light is key, and, beyond that, it's greatly a function of getting the settings right, good positioning, and finding the subjects. The bridge seems to me like making the latter almost like cheating. The current there can make the positioning part interesting at times. The settings thing, to me, seems to be mostly an issue of experimentation and practice (and *maybe* a little bit of studying).

The hardest part, to me, is figgerin out what to do with all the shots once you got em.

Kevin
IMG_6573wa.jpg

My Mom always get's on my (and daughter's) case for "wasting film".

My main buddy has a "Joes" camera as do I (mine is older). But we can't make pics like you and Jim.

For now, I will continue to use your guys pics as my wallpaper. :D

Kevin

starting some time last year, I began to see one on every 4th or 5th dive. Sometimes I'd see them several dives in a row, then go 12 dives and not see any. I've been doing more boat dives lately and not many at BHB, but I'd guess I see a couple most months on average assuming about 4 bridge dives per month.

I've only seen two or three in the ocean and away from BHB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom