Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are alluding that it is illegal to harvest lobsters around the BHB, you would be mistaken. As long as you are abiding by Florida Law, the FWC acknowledges that it a lawful activity.

It would be nearly impossible to aide by the law....I have only ever seen one that might have been big enough there.

It would be nearly impossible to aide by the law....I have only ever seen one that might have been big enough there.
That might be because of some of the local boat residents that have been seen harvesting lobsters in the past.

If you are alluding that it is illegal to harvest lobsters around the BHB, you would be mistaken. As long as you are abiding by Florida Law, the FWC acknowledges that it a lawful activity.

Jimw was not...alluding... to anything. Simply stated we saw a diver (most definately newly certified) with new stuff trying to swim against the current. He was crawling on the bottom, overweighted while his two buddies were on the surface underweighted trying to get back to the entry point. It was kind of pitiful. He had kind of the wide eyed look. The only way this guy could have got a lobster would be if it crawled out of it's hole and lept in his bag. I'm sure the guy (very young) fancied hinself as a lobster hunter. Obviously he or his buddies never dove BHB before otherwise they would have known about the tide. I'm sure it was a lesson well learned. So please, in the future don't try to start something that just isn't so. We are all there to have a good time. Live and let live. That doesn't mean if someone was most definately doing something unlawful we would have reported them to the lifeguard to be sorted out by the folks in charge.

Jimw was not...alluding... to anything. Simply stated we saw a diver (most definately newly certified) with new stuff trying to swim against the current. He was crawling on the bottom, overweighted while his two buddies were on the surface underweighted trying to get back to the entry point. It was kind of pitiful. He had kind of the wide eyed look. The only way this guy could have got a lobster would be if it crawled out of it's hole and lept in his bag. I'm sure the guy (very young) fancied hinself as a lobster hunter. Obviously he or his buddies never dove BHB before otherwise they would have known about the tide. I'm sure it was a lesson well learned. So please, in the future don't try to start something that just isn't so. We are all there to have a good time. Live and let live. That doesn't mean if someone was most definately doing something unlawful we would have reported them to the lifeguard to be sorted out by the folks in charge.

I was there today, and had taken some of the comments about bottom crawlers and such with a grain of salt. Looking at the attached photo I took today a guy can be seen STANDING next to the pillar....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 203
Went this weekend with the boat to do two night dives and added two morning dives for a total of 12 hours worth of quality bridge dive time. Saw so many cool critters we actually lost track of everything we found. Haven't had time to even look at the pictures from the last two dives. Sunday saw a group of hopefully new divers standing on the bottom at the south end of the wall, was not pretty. Wish they could of found a sandy area for that drill. Will post a video later. Lots of pictures to come.
John

I was there today, and had taken some of the comments about bottom crawlers and such with a grain of salt. Looking at the attached photo I took today a guy can be seen STANDING next to the pillar....

LOL.... this looks like the same guy I saw. He was fiddling with his make shift flag walking around on the bottom. What is up with that? Here is a really good candidate for the Force E class on diving BHB. I hope they give us some flyers to pass out at the bridge.

I'm drooling. Anybody got any info about boat rentals (from which one could dive) in the BHB area? I'm seeing similar tide times for Labor Day weekend - and probably lots of *other* times. That kind of dive scheduling could conceivably help keep me out of the bars. . .

Kevin

Went this weekend with the boat to do two night dives and added two morning dives for a total of 12 hours worth of quality bridge dive time. Saw so many cool critters we actually lost track of everything we found. Haven't had time to even look at the pictures from the last two dives. Sunday saw a group of hopefully new divers standing on the bottom at the south end of the wall, was not pretty. Wish they could of found a sandy area for that drill. Will post a video later. Lots of pictures to come.
John

What exactly is the magical tide time to make this kind of plan happen? I am drooling too!

I'm drooling. Anybody got any info about boat rentals (from which one could dive) in the BHB area? I'm seeing similar tide times for Labor Day weekend - and probably lots of *other* times. That kind of dive scheduling could conceivably help keep me out of the bars. . .

Kevin

Kevin

Pura Vida rents stand up paddle boards you could use as a base.....when you say "boat", what are you looking for?
Kayaks and paddle boards are cheap and easy....powerboats can be rented, but the cost far exceeds using a charter boat.

Wow! That's *brilliant*! If I can come up with a parking/launch spot, I think I'll just buy me one of them contraptions! bet I could fit one inside the old minivan.

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to carry (balance) dive gear and camera on such a device in relatively calm conditions?

Is "anchoring" doable?

How about paddling against the current between tides? TIA

Kevin

Pura Vida rents stand up paddle boards you could use as a base.....when you say "boat", what are you looking for?
Kayaks and paddle boards are cheap and easy....powerboats can be rented, but the cost far exceeds using a charter boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom