Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks very much, John. Now I know what to do if I see this again. Glad to see that there is in fact some legal protection for the area.

I think you have received some misinformation. It is perfectly legal for recreational collectors to harvest tropicals around Phil Foster Park. Of course they must have a valid Florida Fishing License and abide by the limits for each species. According to the county, it is discouraged but by no means illegal. It is however a 2nd misdemeanor to harass someone legally engaged in the practice.

From the Palm Beach County...

There are no local regulations against recreational harvesting of tropical fish; however, a proper saltwater fishing license is required, and regulations established by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) must be followed. These regulations include the limits of various species that can be taken, as well as the means in which they can be harvested.

From the State of Florida....

379.105 Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers.—(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.

(2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s. 379.401.
History.—s. 2, ch. 90-170; s. 27, ch. 2006-304; s. 9, ch. 2008-247.
Note.—Former s. 372.705.

Last edited:
We were looking at coming out to BHB on Friday the 31st, but it looks like HT is 8:30am and 8:50 pm, according to this chart. The AM slot is too early for us to get there and the PM slot is too late. I guess we're out of luck for a decent dive at the bridge that day. Can anyone recommend another place to dive nearby that doesn't require a boat? We're doing the boat trip the next day.

I see that you used the tide times for Lake Worth Pier, use the times for the Port of Palm Beach--that makes it 8:44am on Sat. the 31st.--still too early for many folks but it is easy to find parking as the local picnic crowd wil not yet be there-- clogging up the parking.

I saw this cool anemone during the night dive this week. It was in between some rocks and things so I couldn't get too close for a better shot. It was about 2 inches around. After blowing up the pics, I noticed what looks like a blenny behind the anemone. I can't tell if this is a fish in its night colors, a dead fish being eaten by thin white worms, or just some rocks that look like a fish. Any ideas?

I saw this cool anemone during the night dive this week. It was in between some rocks and things so I couldn't get too close for a better shot. It was about 2 inches around. After blowing up the pics, I noticed what looks like a blenny behind the anemone. I can't tell if this is a fish in its night colors, a dead fish being eaten by thin white worms, or just some rocks that look like a fish. Any ideas?

Actually it looks like a piece of shell.

I think you have received some misinformation. It is perfectly legal for recreational collectors to harvest tropicals around Phil Foster Park. Of course they must have a valid Florida Fishing License and abide by the limits for each species. According to the county, it is discouraged but by no means illegal. It is however a 2nd misdemeanor to harass someone legally engaged in the practice.

From the Palm Beach County...

There are no local regulations against recreational harvesting of tropical fish; however, a proper saltwater fishing license is required, and regulations established by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) must be followed. These regulations include the limits of various species that can be taken, as well as the means in which they can be harvested.

From the State of Florida....

379.105 Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers.—(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.

(2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s. 379.401.
History.—s. 2, ch. 90-170; s. 27, ch. 2006-304; s. 9, ch. 2008-247.
Note.—Former s. 372.705.

Actually, that is what I had found last year when I looked at it, but seeing the signs explicitly saying no taking of tropicals, I thought something new had been passed. Oh, well, maybe someday . . .

Actually, that is what I had found last year when I looked at it, but seeing the signs explicitly saying no taking of tropicals, I thought something new had been passed. Oh, well, maybe someday . . .
The confusion might be it is illegal to collect tropicals from the park which is what the ranger said.
It is legal to collect tropicals in Palm Beach County.
So if your on your own boat you are under county regs not park.
As far as "harassing a hunter" let's not miss the "lawful collecting" part and good luck proving it.
I would ask why the signs and the park ranger saying they enforce it if that is not accurate.
Sounds like more than discouraged, so I'll keep reporting it and harass at my own risk:D:D:D
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom