Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airleron -- "Weekend before last when High Tide was around 1ish, by my guesstimate, there were 150 divers. That may not seem like a ton, but cram those into that area, and wow!"

That's insane.
What are the locals saying about this? Good for the retailers and restaurants, maybe, but what about the families who take their kids to the beach and the playground, who enjoy dinner on the grills, who relax with a fishing pole... you know, the tax payers who built that park?
I feel like I'm their guest.

One way to get rid of a pushy guest is to do what the park officials have done at night -- ban almost all diving. Which may be counterproductive with a national magazine like Scuba Diving inviting the world to play in the shallows.
What a nightmare for the rangers and police, trying to deal with angry vacationers by the carloads, turned away at the shoreline. After all, the divers are bringing in revenue to what looks like a depressed area. Times are tough. If the park is a tourist draw on the way to Singer Island, or Disney World, or Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / the Keys, that's a good thing, right?

What about the marina? Are the boat owners negatively affected by the larger number of divers? They do have a responsibility to keep the area safe. This gets into the vehicle vs bicycle debate -- where the motorized things go, limit access. Or get ready to call the ambulance when someone zigs instead of zags.

Who has jurisdiction about activities that negatively impact the marine life? They should weight in on this. Just don't expect them to make a distinction between skilled and unskilled divers in a heavily trafficked zone, which may have species that are protected by federal law.

Access at night is easy to control -- the beach is closed. No one is in the water without a permit, which is limited to a few local dive shops and can be revoked as needed.
Access in the day would be easy, too -- no diving, period.
No other solution could be enforced consistantly and fairly.
I still wouldn't want to be a ranger on beach patrol that first season.

I think some simple signs and other media for awareness about the importance of not damaging the BHB bottom would be a good start, atleast while bigger things slowly get into motion.

I'd get a kick out of knowing just how delicate those bottom dwelling critters are. My experience has been that the ones whom I've tried to take pitchers of have been right good at avoiding human activity. Any actual knowledge of how much damage is inflicted upon the bottom dwellers by bicycling fins?

Kevin

Access at night is easy to control -- the beach is closed. No one is in the water without a permit, which is limited to a few local dive shops and can be revoked as needed.
Access in the day would be easy, too -- no diving, period.
No other solution could be enforced consistantly and fairly.
I still wouldn't want to be a ranger on beach patrol that first season.

Except that the county has decided it LOVES DIVING as a form of recreation in the county, and love it at BHB... :)

I'd get a kick out of knowing just how delicate those bottom dwelling critters are. My experience has been that the ones whom I've tried to take pitchers of have been right good at avoiding human activity. Any actual knowledge of how much damage is inflicted upon the bottom dwellers by bicycling fins?

Kevin

It's not the critters that takes damage, it's where they live that does.

It's not the critters that takes damage, it's where they live that does.
Probably this is a major aspect....tearing up the hydroids the nudibranchs feed on, could be like tearing up the pasture the horses feed on...by crazed motocrossers

Probably this is a major aspect....tearing up the hydroids the nudibranchs feed on, could be like tearing up the pasture the horses feed on...by crazed motocrossers

lol. Yes, Day TUKe ERRR JOBS!!

Interesting. How much of that brown stuff on the bottom between the last two piers (on the west side) is made up of hydroids? I suspect that I'm not the only one here ignorant of what exactly is growing on the bottom. AAMOF, I've asked here before (without response) what the brown "weeds" are actually made up of. I know Ms. Dupont's book speaks to what the little, rubbery slugs live on, but I've not gotten holt of one of those, yet.

Kevin

Interesting. How much of that brown stuff on the bottom between the last two piers (on the west side) is made up of hydroids? I suspect that I'm not the only one here ignorant of what exactly is growing on the bottom. AAMOF, I've asked here before (without response) what the brown "weeds" are actually made up of. I know Ms. Dupont's book speaks to what the little, rubbery slugs live on, but I've not gotten holt of one of those, yet.

Kevin
Here are some shots I found with a quick search...the hydroids look kind of like flowers...see the one blown up by the nudibranch, and then see the shots from a distance. hydroids-3.jpg

hydroids-2.jpg

hydroids.jpg

Sandra and Ari often find nudibranchs, by first finding the hydroids.....the nudibranchs eat the hydroids.

This is just my speculation, and I will need to confirm this with one of my marine biologist friends next chance I get...but my thinking is that the rototilling will up-root the hydroids in huge swaths, and this wil allow the tidal currents to "flush" them entirely out of the blue heron bridge area....meaning a hundred divers and a hundred huge swaths of removed hydroid fields, and the result is the habitat for nudibranchs gets seriously reduced. One thing I have noticed, when Sandra and I dove a mile north of the BHB in the mangroves near MacArthur park, was the hydroid growth was no where close to the concentrations we see it at the BHB. Life in general is very spread out in the mangroves--meaning not dense like at BHB. One foot of area at the nudibranch word area of bHB, is roughly equivalent to 100 square feet by the mangroves....there is no comparison, for a photographer or an ecologist. From a population ecologist's view, the BHB would be a place where reproductive rates and diversity and competition, and many other big factors are massively increased( compared to a typical mangrove environment). This makes the BHB a hotbed for development, something of a Galapagos for Nudibranchs :) ( and if you have not, see this :http://www.sfdj.com/GoWheretheFishGoIssue/DarwinandaGalapagosforNudibranchs.aspx ) :)

( and if you have not, see this :Darwin and a Galapagos for Nudibranchs ) :)

Interestingly, had forgotten that I *had* read that site previously, but reading it now with significantly more experience at the bridge and now having actually met several of the folks mentioned, the story reads completely differently for me.

I'm *still* wondering, though, what the brown, weedy stuff is under the bridge. . .

And, who can I talk to about making the nudi's bigger and, on average, more colorful?? I'm now officially into "aposematic coloration", and happy to have learnt the term. :D

Kevin

Interestingly, had forgotten that I *had* read that site previously, but reading it now with significantly more experience at the bridge and now having actually met several of the folks mentioned, the story reads completely differently for me.

I'm *still* wondering, though, what the brown, weedy stuff is under the bridge. . .

And, who can I talk to about making the nudi's bigger and, on average, more colorful?? I'm now officially into "aposematic coloration", and happy to have learnt the term. :D

Kevin
Thanks for the spelling correction..It is now fixed :)
As for bigger and more colorful, get Ari to take you on a tour....you'd be surprised :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom