Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1215 for a 13:56 tide. More crowded than I would expect for a weekday, but still plenty of parking to be obtained. My guess on the vis looking over the sea wall was that it was going to be about 10ft, but since I could see the bottom, the go/no go parameter was a go, so I suited up. Was surprised that the visibility was about the same as yesterday less than 20ft. I think because it was overcast for the majority of the dive, it cut downs on the glare of the hazy water. Sea temp remains at 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 61 species in 60 minutes. By far the standout for today was and adult Permit Fish. There is a spot on the east side where I can find juvenile Permit Fish about the size of a quarter, but until today, I do not believe I have observed adult Permit at the Bridge. I did not get a sill image of the Permit, I find with faster moving fish it is much better to shoot first (video) and ask questions later. Respectively, Permit video, Bucktooth Parrot, and Silver Jenny

View attachment 711608View attachment 711609
So it turns out what I originally identified as a Permit, is a Florida Pompano.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1155 for a 1345 high tide. It was somewhat crowded but plenty of empty parking spots for anybody who desired one. It was more breezy today then yesterday. Entered the water at 1225 on the west side. Visibility was 35ft, and sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 62 species in sixty minutes. Respectively, Brown Garden Eel, Dash Goby, Goldspot Goby, Rosy Blenny, Second Rosy BLenny, Spadefish closeup, Spottail Goby, and Yellow Garden Eels.

View attachment 714068View attachment 714069View attachment 714070View attachment 714071View attachment 714072View attachment 714073View attachment 714074View attachment 714075
Great photos. Thanks for posting.

High tide at 5:20pm today. Anyone want to buddy up? I'm thinking to arrive at 3 or a bit before and hit the water around 3:20-3:30, assuming I find a buddy. :) I have a flag and don't mind carrying it.

I may be going later, however, IF I go, I already have buddies.. with an agenda.. will be a follower, not a leader this dive! I'm not sure how to act! LOL (I am the one usually carrying the flag, thus leading the dive)

IDK how normal this is, but the police started blocking the entrance a little before 3pm. Luckily, I arrived much earlier and actually managed to score a parking space. I just moved here a few months ago and hadn't seen this yet but probably most here already know to arrive early.

The visibility was ok but somewhat cloudy. It was worse along the snorkel trail as a result of the convoy of divers with little buoyancy control near the bottom and lack of self awareness. I would expect someone with a $5k camera setup to be experienced and controlled instead of having full body convulsions on the sea floor.

An a more positive note, a smallish moray eel swam toward, under and then later around me as she patrolled the structures. I never chased, she just didn't care that I was there. Super cool. Unfortunately, my GoPro was already dead, so no video but I'll try to post some pics and video later when I get a chance to edit.

IDK how normal this is, but the police started blocking the entrance a little before 3pm. Luckily, I arrived much earlier and actually managed to score a parking space. I just moved here a few months ago and hadn't seen this yet but probably most here already know to arrive early.

The visibility was ok but somewhat cloudy. It was worse along the snorkel trail as a result of the convoy of divers with little buoyancy control near the bottom and lack of self awareness. I would expect someone with a $5k camera setup to be experienced and controlled instead of having full body convulsions on the sea floor.

An a more positive note, a smallish moray eel swam toward, under and then later around me as she patrolled the structures. I never chased, she just didn't care that I was there. Super cool. Unfortunately, my GoPro was already dead, so no video but I'll try to post some pics and video later when I get a chance to edit.
you'd think with the time it takes most people to save for the camera stuff, they'd be able to master their buoyancy in the meantime. or they could at least work just as hard on buoyancy as they do getting the perfect shot.

On pretty weekends, especially when the winds are up and many boats aren't running like yesterday afternoon, this is incredibly common. The norm actually. Keep in mind LOTS of people other than divers use Phil Foster Park. On pretty weekend afternoons, there are lots of beach goers, fisherpersons, and folks having cookouts on top of the divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom