Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1050 for a 1250 high tide. Parking was not an issue at arrival, and despite some south facing parking spots still being roped off, there was enough parking for anybody who wanted it. Conditions were similar to yesterday, breezy, 50-60ft of visibility with a sea temp remaining at 77f. Entered the west side at 1130. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in sixty minutes. Orangeback Bass still in the same spot as previous two days, Regal Demoiselle also in same spot as last two days. The stand out today was a Long Arm Octopus. When first observed it was in the tenting position that they assume for whatever reason. When I approached it seemed to disappear, I assumed into a hole because that is what usually happens. But as I got closer I couldn't really find it, however there it was in the same spot just flattened out on the sand and not in a hole. Except for its eyes it was perfectly camouflaged to the bottom. I took my pencil and gently probed one its tentacles but no reaction, not sure I have seen one play possum like that before. Respectively, Headshield Slug, Mutton Snapper, Neon Goby, Northside of West Channel Barrier (wide angle), off roading, Orangespot Gobies, Perfect Camouflage, and Spadefish wide angle.
03-23-22 Headshield Slug.jpeg
03-23-22 Mutton Snapper.jpeg
03-23-22 Neon Goby.jpeg
03-23-22 Northside of West Channel Barrier.jpeg
03-23-22 Off Roading.jpeg
03-23-22 Orangespot Goby.jpeg
03-23-22 Perfect Camoflauge.jpeg
03-23-22 Spadefish Wide Angle.jpeg

@Pipehorse, my buddy and I have been diving the bridge the past couple of days. I think we might have chatted with you briefly on tue? We were in backplate/wings with fluorescent yellow straps. If so, sorry we didn't know the SB connection. Love your images!

@Pipehorse, my buddy and I have been diving the bridge the past couple of days. I think we might have chatted with you briefly on tue? We were in backplate/wings with fluorescent yellow straps. If so, sorry we didn't know the SB connection. Love your images!
@RyanT I think the only person I spoke to yesterday was a fisherman. Thanks on the images, its been a good week to be at the bridge, glad you are enjoying it.

@Pipehorse, we chatted briefly with a guy who was doing photography, so thought it might have been you. Sorry we didn't cross paths. Keep the images coming, sure love them!

@Divin'Papaw, I agree, I never condone violence. I was referencing "old-school justice" for humor, but you got that! :wink:

@Lostdiver71, I was under the impression that the park had been designated a no-take zone for everything. Even if I'm wrong about that, I'd certainly never harvest anything from this Palm Beach gem.

I didn't see it, but apparently there was a Goliath grouper at the bridge today. We did find a seahorse though, so I'll chalk that up as a great day!
Unfortunately it is only a no take zone for ornamental or aquarium collection. If you have a fishing license you are allowed to take game fish and crustaceans, I initially found this out by attempting to call FWC about people that were taking lobster at the park and was advised that it was legal. After further research I confirmed that it was legal but fortunately spears and spearguns are illegal due to several factors including being too close to a designated swimming area. I would also not harvest anything other than invasive species from this area and was advised that you can get a special permit to use a pole spear to take Lionfish. Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to tell me how to get the permit and I am looking at other possible options to take the Lionfish that are there.

@Lostdiver71, thanks for the clarification. After the debacle surrounding the collection for aquariums, I thought the ban on harvest extended to everything. Bummer that it's still legal to take lobsters. Good luck on your permit for lion fish.

Unfortunately it is only a no take zone for ornamental or aquarium collection. If you have a fishing license you are allowed to take game fish and crustaceans, I initially found this out by attempting to call FWC about people that were taking lobster at the park and was advised that it was legal. After further research I confirmed that it was legal but fortunately spears and spearguns are illegal due to several factors including being too close to a designated swimming area. I would also not harvest anything other than invasive species from this area and was advised that you can get a special permit to use a pole spear to take Lionfish. Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to tell me how to get the permit and I am looking at other possible options to take the Lionfish that are there.
I've heard mention of improvised lionfish removal devices being used there.. I think that if it is a clear intent of what you are doing.. removing lionfish only and otherwise have said removal device safely stowed (hidden?) nobody will fault you..
I do know that when a LF is reported to the local social media sites it magically disappears.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1155 for a 1345 high tide. It was somewhat crowded but plenty of empty parking spots for anybody who desired one. It was more breezy today then yesterday. Entered the water at 1225 on the west side. Visibility was 35ft, and sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 62 species in sixty minutes. Respectively, Brown Garden Eel, Dash Goby, Goldspot Goby, Rosy Blenny, Second Rosy BLenny, Spadefish closeup, Spottail Goby, and Yellow Garden Eels.

03-24-22 Brown Garden Eel.jpeg
03-24-22 Dash Goby.jpeg
03-24-22 Goldspot Goby.jpeg
03-24-22 Rosy BLenny.jpeg
03-24-22 Rosy BLenny2.jpeg
03-24-22 Spadefish Close up.jpeg
03-24-22 Spottail Goby.jpeg
03-24-22 Yellow Garden Eel.jpeg

Unfortunately the taking of lobster at the bridge is not illegal if you are properly licensed. It is also legal to take Lionfish but you are not allowed to use a spear without a special permit!
I'm a little fuzzy on this one. I agree that spears are a no-no at the bridge. I was not aware of special permits being issued, but that would not surprise me. This part sounds right to me.

The part about the lobsters has me scratching my head a bit. I thought that the snorkle trail was a no take zone for all marine species. Is that not the case? If that is not the case, I would love to read up on what the rules actually say.

Excited - working on our reservations for July 18th, high tide 1:00pm ... can't wait to get there and dive !

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom