Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today the BHB was as busy as should be expected for a Saturday during spring break!
We were walking to the car with our tanks and someone asked if we were leaving
... ah, well yea, but we got to get out of all this gear so it might take a while :wink:

A little current today but it was good viz and the water is warming up
Here is a small video of a darting female pike blenny ...

Hollywood beach mostly, with Yellow Brick Road my favorite go-to spot.
How available is parking in that area? Is fresh water available to rinse off the gear at the end of the dive?

Plus, I bet it is a 15 minute drive, not 75 minute drive to the bridge!
Esactly!
How available is parking in that area? Is fresh water available to rinse off the gear at the end of the dive?
Hit or miss. Some times I get good parking (this morning), other times if I can't find a decent spot and am solo diving, I opt for a different site. Besides YBR, Hollywood has a low ledge that runs parallel to shore that is pretty decent in some areas. Fresh water showers at almost every location.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0950 for a 11:10 high tide. Plenty of parking upon arrival but the place filled up pretty fast. My impression was that as many beach goers and snorkelers were in attendance as divers. Visibility was a very hazy 25-30 feet. Sea temp was 77f. Entered the water at 1020, and felt that the current was somewhat stronger than normal. The two most interesting finds were a Wavy Bubble Snail, and a Regal Demoiselle. I have not seen either before. The Wavy Bubble Snail I was able to identify because somebody had just posted one on inaturalist yesterday. The Regal Demoiselle is an invasive species that is similar in appearance to a Brown Chromis. It was first observed in the Gulf of Mexico in 2014, and has since made its way around to the Keys and now Palm Beach and Broward Counties. One was removed in February 2022 from BHB by a team from Frost Science Museum. Its quite possible you have seen one of these and dismissed it as a Brown Chromis. Had I not been alerted from USGS, and REEF I would have probably just marked it off as a Brown Chromis. In the attached video, the give away is a dark spot just after the operculum. However for me it was more about its behavior then its markings. I don't recall Brown Chromis moving in and out a hidey hole the way the fish in the video does. For more info ,Be on the Lookout - Regal Demoiselle Expanding its Range in the Tropical Western Atlantic | Reef Environmental Education Foundation. Also unusual today was an Orangeback Bass, similar in appearance to a Lantern Bass it is normally found at depths below sixty feet, so always a cool find at BHB. Respectively, video of Regal Demoiselle, Barbfish, Orangeback Bass, and Wavy Bubble Snail.

03-21-22 Barbfish.jpeg
03-21-22 Orangeback Bass.jpeg
03-21-22 Wavy Bubble Snail.jpeg

I could swear this little octopus was following us around at the bridge.
Saw him (or a cousin!) multiple times... over the two plus hour dive.
I sometimes start finding them in my traps around the end of stone claw season. They seem to be getting abundant a little early this year.

Hmmmm I spotted a few fish that I thought were a weird color phase on Yellow Brick Road...
1647913920506.png

bad photo.. but.... hmmm.... there's a few of them there.

Dang.. I have a photo with three of them.. filling out the REEF invasive report...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom