Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a month long hiatus, due to a little bit of burn out, but mostly a dental issue, went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1005 for a 1206 high tide. It was not crowded when I arrived, but was moderately crowded at 1106 when I entered the water on the west side. Visibility was less than stellar but still doable at a hazy 20ft, given the wind conditions I can't complain. Sea temp was a surprise at 78F according to my computer. I had my thicker hood on and was uncomfortable (a little to warm) by the end of the dive. Did a REEF fish survey 69 species in 65 minutes. Even though the west side is always less crowded, it seemed to be especially so today. Is it my imagination or does there seem to be a greater amount of whatever species of crab is in the images below? I know they are common, and this is just anecdotal because I don't survey the crabs, but its seem a lot of them lately. Regardless they are fun to watch especially with claws extended. Respectively Crabs, Redtail Parrot, and Southern Puffer.
03-08-22 Crab.jpeg
03-08-22 Crab1.jpeg
03-08-22 Redtail Parrot.jpeg
03-08-22 Southern Puffer.jpeg

I'd agree about those crabs. Couple weeks ago when I did that late afternoon/evening/dark dive I saw a ton of them.
I've also noticed over the years that BHB (heck, most places I dive a lot) seem to have a lot of _________________ (fill in the blank) for a season. I remember one season the west side you could see 100 headshield slugs in one dive. Another season there were so many octos, they were ignored, pufferfish....

I'd agree about those crabs. Couple weeks ago when I did that late afternoon/evening/dark dive I saw a ton of them.
I've also noticed over the years that BHB (heck, most places I dive a lot) seem to have a lot of _________________ (fill in the blank) for a season. I remember one season the west side you could see 100 headshield slugs in one dive. Another season there were so many octos, they were ignored, pufferfish....
The crab looks like our Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab. AKA; Atlantic Blue crab. The females will have red colored claw tips and a wide apron underneath. The males have a narrow apron. They are good swimmers with their set of "paddle legs" at their rear. A real favorite in Maryland.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 11:30 for a 12:56 high tide. I was a little surprised at the amount of people there for a weekday, nevertheless there was parking to be had. Conditions were as windy today as yesterday, visibility was less than 20ft, sea temp 78f. I switched out my five mil for a three mil today and kept the heavy hood. Also noticed that today's high tide was a much lower high tide than normal, almost the opposite of a King Tide, perhaps we can call it a "Peasant Tide". Did a REEF fish survey 64 species in 60 minutes. The common name for the crabs I mentioned in the post yesterday is Flatfaced Swimming Crab. Respectively Blue Spotted Cornetfish, Flatface Swimming Crab (back view), Lancer Dragonet, and Puddingwife.
03-09-22 Cornetfish.jpeg
03-09-22 Flatface Swimming Crab.jpeg
03-09-22 Lancer Dragonet.jpeg
03-09-22 Puddingwife.jpeg

That little cornetfish sure is friendly!!

Just visited the place on March 6. Cool place for muck diving, especially during rough seas, too rough for boat diving in Jupiter.

Where you have the label for Queen Angelfish, those are Blue Angelfish.

Where you have the label for Queen Angelfish, those are Blue Angelfish.
Thanks for correcting. Looking at the fish book, there is one other that looks like that too, Townsend anglefish. What makes it not Townsend anglefish?

D79432CE-0D24-4D1E-AA21-80DBCCDC0F73.jpeg

Thanks for correcting. Looking at the fish book, there is one other that looks like that too, Townsend anglefish. What makes it not Townsend anglefish?

View attachment 711508

Townsend is a Blue/Queen hybrid.

Adult Queens have a solid yellow tail, adult Blue have a yellow fringed tail, Townsends have a yellow tail like Queens but other features of a Blue.

There are other differences as well. Here is a good summary I like to use to remind myself of the differences: The ‘First’ Hybrid Angelfish, Holacanthus townsendi | Reef Builders | The Reef and Saltwater Aquarium Blog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom