Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. We were lucky enough to do a flyover of the BHB bridge ....
Hope to be back next week and actually IN the water instead of out of a plane window.

1648519357903.png
1648519377064.png

We missed the closure, and was able to gain entrance Sunday night. Intentionally got there late, right at high tide. Stayed late past dark till the current became too strong to hold on any longer. My one buddy was hoping to capture a rare event that she is convinced happens after the high tide in the evening. It didn't happen.

I dove Sunday morning off the beach, and had tenative plans for the above dive later in the day. I switched out the battery in my camera and loaded up gear. When I hit the water the camera didn't turn on. No idea what happened, but it is sitting in rice. Fingers crossed.

witnessing jawfish eggs hatching...

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0750 for an an 0833 high tide, would have been there 15 minutes earlier if FEC wasn't blocking east and west passage with a two mile long freight train that needs uncoupling for Port of Palm Beach. The parking lot was practically empty. It was windy, and the water was chopped up. Entered the water at 0813 on the west side, visibility was about 25ft and hazy, with a sea temp of 76F. Found another Regal Demoiselle in the wash under the bridge piling on the west side. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in 60 minutes. The most interesting find of the day was a Giant Hermit Crab in a beer bottle. It seemed as if the hermit crab was to big for the bottle, almost as if it entered while smaller and now has grown bigger than the entry. In the attached picture the hermit crab does not have the normal stance of a hermit crab, i.e. half in and half out. Also found an octopus inhabiting a beer bottle, image attached for that as well. Respectively, beer bottle hermit crab, beer bottle octopus, male Bluethroat Pikeblenny, juvenile Blue Stripe Grunt, Striped Burrfish, and Zigzag Scallop.
03-31-22 Beer Bottle Hermit Crab.jpeg
03-31-22 Beer Bottle Octo.jpeg
03-31-22 Blue Throat Pikeblenny.jpeg
03-31-22 Juvenile Blue Stripe Grunt (2).jpeg
03-31-22 Striped Burrfish.jpeg
03-31-22 Zigzag Scallop.jpeg

My buddies dived there this morning. saw some nice photos.. le sigh.. I had to work

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0746 for a 0900 high tide (FEC was not blocking the road this morning). Wind had decreased from yesterday, parking lot was uncrowded. Entered the water at 0815, visibility similar to yesterday at 25ft, sea temp was 77f according to my computer. DId a REEF fish count, 64 species in 60 minutes. I observed the hermit crab in a beer bottle from yesterdays dive, it was in the same location. It makes me wonder if somehow the hermit crab has grown to big and can't get out. I have noticed that giant hermit crabs will often stay in the same place for a couple days, but still makes me wonder. And if it can fit its body outside the opening of the bottle how does it drag the bottle along with it? Normally the softer part of their bodies curl up to the contour of a shell so its easy to bring the shell with them, but if the soft part of the body has smooth glass instead of a helix curve how does it hold on? The other find of the day was a very pregnant seahorse, looks like its about to burst. Respectively, beer bottle hermit crab (same pic from yesterday), Channel Flounder, juvenile Hogfish, pregnant seahorse, and beer bottle Sailfin Blenny.
03-31-22 Beer Bottle Hermit Crab.jpeg
04-01-22 Channel Flounder.jpeg
04-01-22 Juvenile Hogfish.jpeg
04-01-22 Pregnant Seahorse.jpeg
04-01-22 Sailfin Blenny.jpeg

I observed the hermit crab in a beer bottle from yesterdays dive, it was in the same location. It makes me wonder if somehow the hermit crab has grown to big and can't get out. I have noticed that giant hermit crabs will often stay in the same place for a couple days, but still makes me wonder.

We've seen that hermit in there (in the North West Area) a few times. I checked our log and the first sighting was March 7th. I think you may be right about him being stuck. Terrible to think he may be starving to death in there :(

1648868136914.png

At one point, he did have one claw out, which may have given him some mobility
1648868538772.png

We've seen that hermit in there (in the North West Area) a few times. I checked our log and the first sighting was March 7th. I think you may be right about him being stuck. Terrible to think he may be starving to death in there :(

View attachment 715500

At one point, he did have one claw out, which may have given him some mobility
View attachment 715501

So in my image both claws are inside but I am guessing your right, he can probably still can get at least one claw out for some mobility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom