Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Octo looks like a hung over New Year's Morning picture.

Great shots as always my friend !!
LOL.. I had to look at it again, and yes! I agree! Too funny

Hey Catito
In the past people used to lurk here and other locations looking for intel on critter sightings for collection.
Since this came to light, it is generally advised to remove any info on location other than very general.. east side, west side, etc..
Thanks

Glad you missed the crowds. The idiots must a gone west..
Thanks. Trying to pull it down…

Thanks
(and the critters that won't be collected thank you too!)

Went to the bridge for diving today. FECRR was once again blocking the east west passage, but only a five minute wait before the train got moving again. Arrived a 1005 for a 1110 high tide. No wind, but was mostly overcast for the duration of the dive. The parking lot was not crowded. Entered the west side at 1025, visibility was 50-60 feet, sea temp at 77F. Did a REEF fish count 73 species in 60 minutes. Its always interesting to see what people throw off the pier or over the bridge, besides the run of the mill typical garbage. In the last two years, I have found three iphones, a ring that had "his forever" inscribed inside (I have it hanging on BC now), a Smith & Wesson .36 cal long barrel revolver (by oxidation it had been in the water less than a day, not loaded), seashells not of Atlantic origin with little stickers "Made in Kenya" one of which 4 or 5 hermit crabs were squabbling over, a drone that I guess crash landed, and today three polished stones with inscriptions in what looks like to my untrained eye maybe a middle eastern language. Respectively, Black Grouper, Filefish (possibly Pygmy Filefish), Grey and French Angelfish Pair, Inscription Stone, Lined Seahorse, and the beer bottle Octopus that @Scuba_Jenny posted and image previously.
04-04-22 Black Grouper.jpeg
04-04-22 Filefish.jpeg
04-04-22 Gray and French.jpeg
04-04-22 Inscription Stone.jpeg
04-04-22 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
04-04-22 Octo.jpeg

I wanted to do a second post today besides my normal "dive report". This post on the continuing saga of the Giant Hermit Crab trapped in a beer bottle. As previously reported I observed a Giant Hermit Crab that seemed to trapped in a beer bottle, that it had out grown (see the below image). @Jaan had also observed same scroll back a page or two through the thread to see images. After originally seeing last Thursday, and then again on Friday, I decided to intercede. Only problem is I knew I was not going to be diving the bridge on the weekend so whatever action I took was going to have to wait until today. So, when I left the park on Friday I stopped in souvenir shop on A1A and bought what I though would be a suitable size shell for the hermit crab. As an aside I don't know how many times I have driven by that shop, it was my first time in there. Anyway, the problem still presented itself of how to increase the opening of the beer bottle without completely breaking it and leaving the poor crab vulnerable. At little experimenting at home and I came up with a solution. I found that the edge of the glass could be broken in very small increments by crushing with a set of needle nose pliers. My plan was to widen the opening, and leave the hopefully appropriate shell nearby so the hermit crab could take advantage of it. When I arrived where the hermit crab and bottle had been located I couldn't find it. Then my heart sunk because I found bottle and it had been smashed (see picture). Notice the part I drew in blue ink in the picture. That part seems to be a metal object that is sunk into the sand. Closer inspection revealed that the hermit crab had managed to insert himself under the object in a manner that protected its soft body parts, and left his claws out in the open. So not all was lost. But it leaves the crab in the predicament of not having mobility, unless it risks great vulnerability, i.e. not shell to protect its soft parts. So not sure who or how the bottle was smashed, but the end result was a little bit of out of the frying pan but into the fire. I left the shell I brought next to the hermit crab and hopefully it will be able to avail itself of the opportunity, hoping the shell is not to large, but it would still be better than its current predicament.
03-31-22 Beer Bottle Hermit Crab.jpeg
04-04-22 Broken Bottle.jpg
04-04-22 Homeless.jpeg

You have a big heart Mr Pipehorse :). You can be sure I'll be going to see if our new friend has taken up the offered home. Talk about breaking the glass ceiling, haha. We are just back from travel, and were hoping to hit the bridge on Wednesday. Can't wait, the pictures have been amazing !!

Thanks
(and the critters that won't be collected thank you too!)
Mod pulled it at my request. Thanks for the head’s up.

You might be able to just edit it. :)

Thanks Pipehorse for helping out the crab. Eager to find out what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom