Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1050 for a 12:30 high tide. Plenty of parking when I arrived, it started to fill up while I was getting ready, but anybody who wanted a space could get one. It was more breezy than yesterday, and partly sunny. Water had a little bit more a green tinge to than yesterday so my expectations for visibility were lessened. Entered the water on the west side at 11:15. Visibility was diminished from yesterday but still decent at 40ft, sea temp remains 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 60 minutes. Encountered the same Orange Filefish as yesterday, and a Nurse Shark that has been hanging around the pier and bridge pilings.

So as I started the dive I had it way in the back of my head, that perhaps I would come across the Beer Bottle Giant Hermit Crab in the shell I left for it to occupy. I thought it possible but unlikely. Twenty minutes into the dive I found it! It was located approximately 250 feet from where the beer bottle had been smashed and where the shell had been left. It looked like any Giant Hermit Crab in shell albeit the shell is in somewhat more polished state than the shells hermit crabs are usually using for homes. I had had some trepidation about the size of the shell, I thought it might be too big or too heavy, but it seems like a perfect fit, not bad for off the rack with no tailor to fit it. Respectively, a different hermit crab with great eyelashes, an Eyed Flounder with darker coloring than normal, a filefish of species not determined yet, Beer Bottle Hermit Crab with writing on its new shell, Beer Bottle Hermit Crab Homeless no longer, and Orange Filefish.View attachment 716317View attachment 716318View attachment 716319View attachment 716320View attachment 716321View attachment 716322
In a world full of chaos and mayhem, a bit of good news that put a smile on my face. Thank you for your excellent BHB reports and for keeping us all in the loop with the Great Hermit Crab saga. If one believes in karma, then you my friend are due for a bucketful. Be safe

Hey @Pipehorse, nice work and great that the adopted home worked out for our buddy. Not quite the same view as the all glass condo but impressive digs all the same. We are happy for the report, and it DOES belong on discovery channel :) My wife and I were also there and did a search around the area too but failed to locate it ... and then got drawn out by an octopus .. that led us to a seahorse ... and ..

Any idea what this is? We are guessing a well decorated neck crab, but first time I see one of these.
1649290915802.png

And some of the other usual suspects (from Nathalie's collections :))

1649290859803.png
1649290873977.png
1649290896328.png

Glad to hear about the hermit crab getting a new home! Woot!

Diving BHB tomorrow with my wife/buddy, weather permitting. Hoping to get a look at our new friend. Very good to hear he's moved in to a new place.

Is the crab the same in the photo as in the video? I've learned them as a Decorater Crab. Pretty common, tough to photograph as they don't look like anything.. video is best. :)
Hey @Pipehorse, nice work and great that the adopted home worked out for our buddy. Not quite the same view as the all glass condo but impressive digs all the same. We are happy for the report, and it DOES belong on discovery channel :) My wife and I were also there and did a search around the area too but failed to locate it ... and then got drawn out by an octopus .. that led us to a seahorse ... and ..

Any idea what this is? We are guessing a well decorated neck crab, but first time I see one of these.
View attachment 716359

And some of the other usual suspects (from Nathalie's collections :))

View attachment 716356View attachment 716357View attachment 716358

Is the crab the same in the photo as in the video? I've learned them as a Decorater Crab. Pretty common, tough to photograph as they don't look like anything.. video is best. :)
Yes, we had 10 photos .. .never focused on the crab ...

LOL. sounds legit!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1100 for a 1315 high tide. It was breezy and overcast. Plenty of parking to be had, as the overcast weather was keeping beach goers away. Water had a green tinge to it so was not expecting great visibility. Entered the water at 1145 on the west side. Visibility was better than I expected it to be at 30ft, sea temp was 77f. Did a REEF fish count 67 species in sixty minutes. The standout of today was a convention of Giant Hermit Crabs. However, the Giant Hermit Crab of beer bottle fame appropriately now named Lucky was not part of the convention. I came across a group of seven Giant Hermit Crabs, six of crabs were all very interested in the seventh crab. I am assuming the interest was in the seventh crab because it had a considerably larger shell than the rest. However, one of the six with smaller shells seemed a little larger than the one with the large shell. The one with large shell was deep inside, and shell was turned so that the operculum opening was facing the sky. I thought perhaps the crab in the large shell was dead, and thusly the reason the other crabs had been attracted to it. Further inspection revealed the crab was not dead. Being an intrusive human I flipped the shell so the operculum was face down, and the crab took off running (see video). The other crabs give chase (more video), I was surprised to see just how fast they can run. The larger crab with the smaller shell caught up to the smaller crab with the larger shell (more video), squabbling ensued with no change of habitat for all involved. Respectively, Molly Miller, Pearly Razor, Shortnose Batfish, Crab Convention 1, Crab Convention 2, and Crab Videos.

04-07-22 Molly MIller.jpeg
04-07-22 Pearly Razorfish.jpeg
04-07-22 Shortnose Batfish.jpeg

04-07-22 Hermit Crab Convention.jpeg
04-07-22 Hermit Crab Convention1.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1050 for a 12:30 high tide. Plenty of parking when I arrived, it started to fill up while I was getting ready, but anybody who wanted a space could get one. It was more breezy than yesterday, and partly sunny. Water had a little bit more a green tinge to than yesterday so my expectations for visibility were lessened. Entered the water on the west side at 11:15. Visibility was diminished from yesterday but still decent at 40ft, sea temp remains 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 60 minutes. Encountered the same Orange Filefish as yesterday, and a Nurse Shark that has been hanging around the pier and bridge pilings.

So as I started the dive I had it way in the back of my head, that perhaps I would come across the Beer Bottle Giant Hermit Crab in the shell I left for it to occupy. I thought it possible but unlikely. Twenty minutes into the dive I found it! It was located approximately 250 feet from where the beer bottle had been smashed and where the shell had been left. It looked like any Giant Hermit Crab in shell albeit the shell is in somewhat more polished state than the shells hermit crabs are usually using for homes. I had had some trepidation about the size of the shell, I thought it might be too big or too heavy, but it seems like a perfect fit, not bad for off the rack with no tailor to fit it. Respectively, a different hermit crab with great eyelashes, an Eyed Flounder with darker coloring than normal, a filefish of species not determined yet, Beer Bottle Hermit Crab with writing on its new shell, Beer Bottle Hermit Crab Homeless no longer, and Orange Filefish.View attachment 716317View attachment 716318View attachment 716319View attachment 716320View attachment 716321View attachment 716322
Thanks for such an amazing happy ending, or a new beginning for the beer bottle hermit crab story!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom