Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe someone needs to break the glass bottle and give it a new proper home?
I was thinking along that line. The glass would have to be broken around the neck without completely breaking the bottle otherwise the crab would be out in the open and very vulnerable. Ideally one would need to have a suitable shell for the crab to occupy, crack the bottle around the neck so it can get out, and place the suitable shell next to it, so it could move in immediately.

Typical shells have “cone-like” shape housing with narrow opening in the rear (to protect soft tail part of the hermit crab body), not in the front, like that bottle.

Dived the bridge today. I have dived many many weekends and mostly tolorate the crowds of divers with poor buoyancy. But today. Worst I think I've ever seen it. Complete disregard for others. I was shooting the pregnant seahorse and was being pushed out of the way! My buddy's flag got caught up by others in the same group who ended up pulling him to the surface. My other buddy witnessed a woman walking on the bottom. Divers who easily could have swam 5 or 10 feet away were literally kicking my as they went past.
Oh my gosh!!! Otherwise it was a really good dive. Did see the hermit crab in the bottle, a tiny froggie, maybe a centimeter long, and I think I counted 9 seahorses!!! Missed two because of the crowds. Didn't even dare to go there for fear of attracting the divers with poor ettiquite.

Maybe someone needs to break the glass bottle and give it a new proper home?
He might grant you three wishes!

Saturday: Was there today. Avoided the crowds. Saw two sea horses swimming together. Photos which I may post if I get to it:

Octopus [location redacted], batfish [location redacted], octopus with eggs, yellow headed jawfish, and box crab (to be identified).

With the number of swimmers, divers, and snorkelers, I am surprised anything thrives there— but seem to. Lucky for us because we all love to dive there.

Hey Catito
In the past people used to lurk here and other locations looking for intel on critter sightings for collection.
Since this came to light, it is generally advised to remove any info on location other than very general.. east side, west side, etc..
Thanks

Glad you missed the crowds. The idiots must a gone west..

From today

1648953230040.png
1648953243502.png

1648953263820.png
1648953285819.png
1648953297058.png

The Octo looks like a hung over New Year's Morning picture.

Great shots as always my friend !!

We've seen that hermit in there (in the North West Area) a few times. I checked our log and the first sighting was March 7th. I think you may be right about him being stuck. Terrible to think he may be starving to death in there :(

View attachment 715500

At one point, he did have one claw out, which may have given him some mobility
View attachment 715501
It does present an interesting dilemma about how much you should interfere with the natural course of things. The fact that the bottle is there due human interference does complicate the issue somewhat IMHO. Be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom