Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went out today after work for a tune up dive. Lessons learned, overweighted still but got it figured out, mask still leaks because of my face dimensions, boots too big and turn into water bags during the dive, new wetsuit was great. It was pretty amazing to be at such a beautiful dive spot right after work. I was thinking about it as I was diving and might start making this a weekly event. Went in the water at 5:45pm and got out a little around 7:15pm. Towards the end the water started churning up and visibility went to 15-20ft maybe, is that normal towards the tide change? I was always told to go out an hour before or after high tide is best but maybe it's better the first hour. Saw these huge french angel fish, had to be the size of automobile tires. Beautiful! Also as I was fidgeting with the dive flag, new to this, I literally got ran into by an eel making it's way from one rock structure to the other. Kinda freaked me out but I guess I was in his way. Great day and can't wait to go again.

Cheers -Matt

Glad to hear that you got to enjoy our little local resource. It's a gem.

I generally like to be in the water there 30-45 minutes before high tide & I like to be out 30 minutes after. that generally gives you the best water quality & the least current.

Be careful with the eels. The morays can be aggressive if you give them an excuse to be & they do have a good supply of sharp teeth.
There is quite a bit of diversity in the sea life there. Take your time & look closely. Seeing a different species every minute or two is not unusual in that spot. There's quite a bit to look at in that small area.

I went out today after work for a tune up dive. Lessons learned, overweighted still but got it figured out, mask still leaks because of my face dimensions, boots too big and turn into water bags during the dive, new wetsuit was great.
The way you learn and get better is by doing it, so good job!

It was pretty amazing to be at such a beautiful dive spot right after work. I was thinking about it as I was diving and might start making this a weekly event.
Definitely do this. What days of the week and times of day work best for you? This is important in finding buddies who can align schedules and join you. I'd invite you on a dive, but I'll be out of the water for the next 6 weeks for a minor surgical procedure. I do have a buddy who's looking for people to dive with.

Went in the water at 5:45pm and got out a little around 7:15pm.
1.5 hours, not a bad start. Are you diving with an AL80 tank?

Towards the end the water started churning up and visibility went to 15-20ft maybe, is that normal towards the tide change? I was always told to go out an hour before or after high tide is best but maybe it's better the first hour.
If we think about what happening with the tide, it'll make sense. As the tide comes in, it's bringing in the ocean water through the inlet and pushing the river water back. The river water is brown, low vis, and just yucky. Upriver, the river current is pushing against the tide and is mixing. Once the tide shifts, that water mix starts to make its way back down to the bridge. Some days are worse than others. I've seen 20ft of vis turn to 5ft at the flip of a switch.

As you learn the site more and more, you'll find a timing pattern which works best for you. I dive with a steel 120. I can do a 3.5 to 4hr dive, if I'm doing photography. In order to do this, I will likely get in 1.5 hours prior to HT. I won't head straight for the bridge spans. Instead, I'll poke around in front of the beach in 6-9ft looking for macro critters to take pictures of. I might even find seahorses and frogfish. I've actually done 3.5 hours without leaving the beach area because there was so much to find.

Typically, we tell people to go in 1 hour prior and you'll have 1 hour after, for a 2 hour dive. Spend 30 min or so along the beach or snorkel trail, then drift into the bridge with the light current. The light current should go slack soon. Once the tide shifts and you feel the current picking up, head back towards the beach exit.

Saw these huge french angel fish, had to be the size of automobile tires. Beautiful! Also as I was fidgeting with the dive flag, new to this, I literally got ran into by an eel making it's way from one rock structure to the other. Kinda freaked me out but I guess I was in his way. Great day and can't wait to go again.

Cheers -Matt
Very cool, sounds like you saw some cool stuff. Keep at it. Find people to dive with. Continue refining your skills. Have fun!

Glad to hear that you got to enjoy our little local resource. It's a gem.

I generally like to be in the water there 30-45 minutes before high tide & I like to be out 30 minutes after. that generally gives you the best water quality & the least current.

Be careful with the eels. The morays can be aggressive if you give them an excuse to be & they do have a good supply of sharp teeth.
There is quite a bit of diversity in the sea life there. Take your time & look closely. Seeing a different species every minute or two is not unusual in that spot. There's quite a bit to look at in that small area.
Green Morays scare me more than anything else in the water lol. I've had a few close calls and am happy to keep my distance when I see one.

A couple of pics from last week's dives.

_44.png
_45.png
_73.png

_47.png
_57.png

Green Morays scare me more than anything else in the water lol. I've had a few close calls and am happy to keep my distance when I see one.
Ever since that infamous dive adventure movie, The Deep, with Jaqueline Bisset had the scenes where Nick Nolte’s probe stick came back shredded and another where the villain’s head got grabbed, in both cases by a very large green moray, the whole species got a bad rap.
In nature they’re predators on small animals, but really aren’t that big a threat to a diver unless provoked or threatened. I don’t get too close, but I don’t let them scare me off the reef.
🐸

Ever since that infamous dive adventure movie, The Deep, with Jaqueline Bisset had the scenes where Nick Nolte’s probe stick came back shredded and another where the villain’s head got grabbed, in both cases by a very large green moray, the whole species got a bad rap.
In nature they’re predators on small animals, but really aren’t that big a threat to a diver unless provoked or threatened. I don’t get too close, but I don’t let them scare me off the reef.
🐸
I have a few stories which justify my desire to keep my distance. Last year, I was diving with @Divin'Papaw, diving Juno Ledge. There was this hole in the reef that we were looking at. He ventured up and over the top. I look to where he was, and a green moray is 4-5 ft away and swimming straight at me. I was blocking the hole and by the time I could kick off the sea floor, it was within a foot or 2 of me. Silt was everywhere. Jim looked at me, I gave him the hand signal that my heart was beating out of my chest. He found the moray in the hole I was looking inside of.

Last year, around the beginning of lobster season, I was trying to snare a lobster in a strong current. I tickled it out of the hole and out of nowhere, a moray jumped out of a hole and grabs the lobster, about 3 ft away from me. It let the lobster go and turned its attention on me. I used my snare to keep it at bay and let the current take me away. There were 5 keeper lobsters in that section that I drifted away from without an ability to return due to the strong current.

Then this happened, I believe this is Dumpster Diver.

I went out today after work for a tune up dive. Lessons learned, overweighted still but got it figured out, mask still leaks because of my face dimensions, boots too big and turn into water bags during the dive, new wetsuit was great. It was pretty amazing to be at such a beautiful dive spot right after work. I was thinking about it as I was diving and might start making this a weekly event. Went in the water at 5:45pm and got out a little around 7:15pm. Towards the end the water started churning up and visibility went to 15-20ft maybe, is that normal towards the tide change? I was always told to go out an hour before or after high tide is best but maybe it's better the first hour. Saw these huge french angel fish, had to be the size of automobile tires. Beautiful! Also as I was fidgeting with the dive flag, new to this, I literally got ran into by an eel making it's way from one rock structure to the other. Kinda freaked me out but I guess I was in his way. Great day and can't wait to go again.

Cheers -Matt

One of the things I loved about the 2 years we lived in Boca Raton was being able to do later afternoon/evening dives at BHB after work during the summer months when sunsets are late. I did it MANY times!

I have a few stories which justify my desire to keep my distance. Last year, I was diving with @Divin'Papaw, diving Juno Ledge. There was this hole in the reef that we were looking at. He ventured up and over the top. I look to where he was, and a green moray is 4-5 ft away and swimming straight at me. I was blocking the hole and by the time I could kick off the sea floor, it was within a foot or 2 of me. Silt was everywhere. Jim looked at me, I gave him the hand signal that my heart was beating out of my chest. He found the moray in the hole I was looking inside of.

That was a funny one! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom