Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My life only flashed before my eyes haha
I bow to your more extensive experience. I would suggest though that the combination of him feeling threatened plus you poaching on his lobster farm may have caused a negative reaction… probing his hole so he felt threatened or getting between him and his route of retreat would contribute to his perceived feelings of threat. Then again, he may just have been a bad @$$ having a bad day! 😉
🐸

One of the things I loved about the 2 years we lived in Boca Raton was being able to do later afternoon/evening dives at BHB after work during the summer months when sunsets are late. I did it MANY times!
would you go in conditions other than high tide even?

Ever since that infamous dive adventure movie, The Deep, with Jaqueline Bisset had the scenes where Nick Nolte’s probe stick came back shredded and another where the villain’s head got grabbed, in both cases by a very large green moray, the whole species got a bad rap.
In nature they’re predators on small animals, but really aren’t that big a threat to a diver unless provoked or threatened. I don’t get too close, but I don’t let them scare me off the reef.
🐸
I have a healthy respect for morays after one came after me with its gills flared out and followed me up into the water column... I batted it down with my pole spear, and it came at me a second time, then after my buddy...

I have a healthy respect for morays after one came after me with its gills flared out and followed me up into the water column... I batted it down with my pole spear, and it came at me a second time, then after my buddy...

Goodness. That would get my full attention.

We laugh about it now, but it clearly was saying "GET OFF MY REEF!!"

That sounds like a moray that is used to being hand fed and it’s following you wanting free food.

I have a few stories which justify my desire to keep my distance. ...

...Then this happened, I believe this is Dumpster Diver.
I've seen morays in the same hole with a lobster before. So far I have seen them before sticking my hand in there. I'm pretty shy about sticking my hand in a hole these days. I'm trying to rely on planning more than luck as I get older.

That aside, if I had gotten tagged by a moray like that, I likely would have dropped the lobster & taken my pole spear to the eel.

Sweet Jenny, what in the world did you to to arouse the ire of that lovely, even tempered little green lamprey? (He says in a voice dripping with sarcasm and tongue firmly in cheek) 🙄

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom